Anyone intermittent fasting?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Anyone intermittent fasting? If so how’s it working out? How about anyone that gave it a try and it didn’t workout “thoughts”?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Worked great for me when I did it. Lost a good bit of weight. 500 calories every other day. Eat what you want on the other days. No time constraints. Easy-peezy. I was losing at least 5 pounds a week. I need to get back to it....

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I find it super easy and when I am on it, I usually feel great.

At the end of the day it's all about calories in vs calories burned. I use int. fasting just to cut breakfast out so I have 300ish calories less to budget for per day.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Worked great for me when I did it. Lost a good bit of weight. 500 calories every other day. Eat what you want on the other days. No time constraints. Easy-peezy. I was losing at least 5 pounds a week. I need to get back to it....

I find it super easy and when I am on it, I usually feel great.

At the end of the day it's all about calories in vs calories burned. I use int. fasting just to cut breakfast out so I have 300ish calories less to budget for per day.

Are y’all doing the *16/8* intermittent fasting?

TheWhiteHorse

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2018
    lafayette
    I do one meal a day and sometimes fast for as long as 96 hours a week. It's far easier than cutting calories for me. I get very angry and aggressive
    While on calorie reduction. Fasting chills me out plus the weight I can lift goes up during a long fast.
    I consume salts to keep me strong. Sodium chloride, potassium salt and magnesium salt.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Are y’all doing the *16/8* intermittent fasting?

I'm not very scientific about it. I try to eat my last meal before 8 or 9 at night and not eat till 11am / noon the following day. I generally have a cup or two of coffee or tea in the AM. If I am still actually hungry after that, I'll eat. Most mornings the coffee works just fine. A big help is drinking a full glass or two of water when you are "hungry." Lately, I've been trying to go through three 32oz Yeti's of water per day.

As for trying to lose weight, I had a lot of success with the "Lose It" app. The biggest thing is accurately logging what you eat, which requires eating everything from a box or using a food scale. I picked up a $15 scale on Amazon and just weigh all of the major components of a meal and log it.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    The Krotsman idea sounds good to me---at least something I could stick to---not really overweight but I'd like to loose this "early stuffed holiday feeling"---good luck
    an Happy Holidays to all!!!

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I don't do anything fancy with times and stuff. I usually eat a 6 inch subway turkey sub with lots of vegetables and mustard, no cheese or mayo, for lunch and dinner. iIs a bit more than 500 calories total, but it's under 600. Then I eat basically whatever I want the other days, maybe trying to moderate a bit, You tend not to eat as much on off days, too, because you're thinking about it. Hell, I even occasionally hit a buffet and still lose weight.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Or you can just eat right and do moderate exercising 3 times a week.

fasting is a short term goal and you will just put back on pounds quicker, as your body is going to store more fat from anything you eat as it thinks you are starving. Not a really good thing to do.

low carbs, fruits and vegetables, and protein. Cut out sugar, and trans fats and you will keep weight off.

it’s easier said then done but it is what it is.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

fasting is a short term goal and you will just put back on pounds quicker, as your body is going to store more fat from anything you eat as it thinks you are starving. Not a really good thing to do.

low carbs, fruits and vegetables, and protein. Cut out sugar, and trans fats and you will keep weight off.

You should check up on your research a bit relative to intermittent fasting and the benefits related to it. There are a ton of studies that point towards IF being very good for you. Also, many studies are finding that extended fasts are actually beneficial and work almost as a cleanse for your body. The old idea of your body going into "starvation mode" and wanting to store everything as fat doesn't really hold as 100% truth like people used to be taught.

At the end of the day, it absolutely doesn't matter what you eat if you want to lose weight. It matters how much you eat.

If you eat 2000 calories of doughnuts every day and burn 2200 calories, you will lose weight. Conversely, if you eat the same thing and burn 1500 calories, you will likely gain weight. Of course, simply eating doughnuts (or any one food) is not nutritious and isn't sustainable.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Intermittent fasting ?
    I fast between breakfast and lunch , then fast again until dinner... after dinner I try to fast until breakfast... Is that intermittent fasting ?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

I’m not sure that is correct but don’t have enough personal experience to say for sure. My goal isn’t weight loss (but if I drop a few pounds in the process it would be great), it’s actually the many other health benefits that come along with intermittent fasting. Now are the current studies overhyped? (Possibly so).

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I’m not sure that is correct but don’t have enough personal experience to say for sure. My goal isn’t weight loss (but if I drop a few pounds in the process it would be great), it’s actually the many other health benefits that come along with intermittent fasting. Now are the current studies overhyped? (Possibly so).
    I have four very close friends in two different medical schools right now, and they are actually teaching soon to be doctors the benefits of it.

I've done a ton of research in it and almost everyone out there agrees that IF is very beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

TheWhiteHorse

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2018
    lafayette
    I don't think the newer studies are over hyped. Fasting reduces the amount of money we spend on food.

So this isn't in the interest of big business nor the medical establishment
    Which profits from you being sick and fat.

andmess14

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2016
    Houma, LA
    I do IF. I find it keeps my rating in check. I have lost weight in the process.

Rugger82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2019
    Hammond
    I don't eat before 10 am then I try and not eat after 7 pm. Nothing changed until I started drinking at least a gallon of water a day.
    Felt much better and dropped weight once I started with the water.

LFandA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2020
    Walker, La.
    I’d like to add that fasting intermittently isn’t a short term fix or something that’s done periodically (although people misuse it for those purposes).

While it does help with over eating and what not it also give gut microbes time to work within their *cycle.* From some research it seems they’re only active for up to 10 hours at most. So, when you start eating for the day, they activate and will remain active for 10 hours. IF helps with insulin levels, and if you get it down to about 8-9 hours it’s shown to help keep/increase lean mass.

Thats just a real general summary but if ya want good info from a real scientist and not gym rats, listen/read stuff from Dr Rhonda Patrick.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA

Check out DR Fung and let him explain all the health benefits from intermittent fasting. Esp for people who may be diabetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d7KkyXnyB4

He has tons more videos.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm down 100 pounds doing OMAD, eating good food, and a lot of it, no sugar. I got off track and put 7 pounds back on, now back on track going for another 40lbs and I should be golden.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I did IF/Keto back in January 2019 as a new years resolution. I've never dropped weight so fast and easy. I went from 230 to 180 in 6 months. Was eating between 12-8 and was on a strict keto diet keeping my net carbs under 20 per day.

I didn't notice any of the health benefits people said about IF or keto but I wasn't ever super hungry either. Of course when I quit the diet I gained some of the weight back and hovered between 190 and 195 up until February 2020 just eating like normal. Now with the working from home I've put on a bit of quarantine weight so I think I need to get back on it.

Like all diets, it's all about calories in < calories out. IF helps restrict your calories and also helps restrict late night eating. Keto was helpful b/c being such a high protein diet the meals stuck with me long enough to keep me full and not hungry so I wasn't snacking. So the two combined were a pretty good deal at least for me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom