What eye lenses after Cateract Surgery

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BadEye

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    My eyesight has gotten so bad, iron sights are useless. The last few years I use red dots at the indoor range, but I have some old guns that can't mount them. I have been wearing bi-focals for years now. Found out I have cataracts. Had surgery on my left eye today and had a mono-vision distance lens put in. I was figuring on doing the same on my other eye but friends and relatives tell me they wish they had gotten one of each, distance in 1 and up close in the other so they wouldn't need reading glasses.
    Now I'm thinking shooting, not reading. If I got 1 of each, would I be able to see my pistol sight and the target at the same time?
    Have any of you done this already? I would appreciate any advice before I have surgery on right eye. Wish I would have thought about this sooner because I am and shoot right handed but my left eye is dominant. Thanks!

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I would definitely have a talk with your ophthalmologist. We know a lot about firearms but probably not a lot about eye surgeries! Best of luck to ya man!

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I went with distance on both eyes. I want to see as best I can for driving, hunting, etc. and 2 for distance is better. I didn’t quite get 20/20 with cataract surgery so for best vision I wear glasses but see well enough to get drivers license restriction removed. (Doesn’t say I wear glasses anymore)
    There are several companies now that sell shooting glasses with the bifocal in the TOP for the purpose of seeing sights. The idea being you can tilt your head down just a little and see the sights vs way up like is required with readers or bifocals. I have not tried them.
    Look at *the almost lens* by Tactical Rx. They are located in Denver.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I had my cataracts done in 2005 and had both of them done for distance. With them done as mono vision you will lose some depth perception. I can see my front sights, are they blurry, yes. I painted my front sight on my 45 with flouresent orange paint which helps a lot. On my the pistols I have white sights.
    Was a multi focus implant discussed? My daughter is an Optometrist and said they are having great success with the multi focal implants.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I had cataract surgery earlier this year. I got distance in both eyes, once it done it's done and I didn't want to chance not liking one close and one far. My left eye is 20/10, the right is 20/25. I shoot right hand and am right eye dominate. Since all my rifles have either red dots or scopes I don't have a problem at short range. At long range with either a red dot or irons then target clarity is a problem.
    I don't have too much of an problem seeing my front sight on a handgun the rear is a little blurry.
    My only wish was that it was reversed and the right eye was 20/10 eye and the left eye was 20/25 or both 20/10. I see better now than I did with glasses or contacts before the surgery.
    When I wore contacts I had a close and a far lens for my right shooting eye. If I was planning on a lot of pistol shooting I would but in the close lens. I may ask my doctor for a close lens for my right eye again.
    Being my left eye is so good it compensates for the poorer left eye.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Surgery in both eyes several years ago with lens for distance. Use different eyeglasses for Reading, Computer, Shooting.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    If you have astigmatism I suggest going with the toric lenses that correct it. Medicare won't pay the extra cost but it was worth it to me to not have to wear any glasses other than when reading.

BadEye

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    Wow, Tactical Rx Look like a great idea. Maybe out of my price range though. My right eye surgery is scheduled for January 6, so after my eyes are adjusted to their new Normal, I'll have to go shoot and get a feel for what I am able to see or not. I have opted at this point for distance in both eyes.
    Thanks for the tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gautreaux
    Top Bottom