Magnum primers vs standard primers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeterJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2019
    Covington, LA
    Can I substitute a magnum large rifle primer for a standard large rifle primer? I would like to use them in 6.5 Creedmoor over Varget powder.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Can I substitute a magnum large rifle primer for a standard large rifle primer? I would like to use them in 6.5 Creedmoor over Varget powder.

Yes , but drop the powder charge back a grain , especially if you are loading at maximum charges , just to make sure you don't bump up pressure . Shoot a few groups , look for excess pressure signs and adjust load as needed .
    A few years ago the primer shortage had many using magnum primers when it was all they had/could get . It bumps pressures up a little so the caution to drop back and work up .
    Gary

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    What Gary said,You should only get about 19feet more per second mag. vs. std. primers

Only 19 fps , yes that sounds correct ...I knew it wasn't much but some reloader's just went off the deep end claiming several hundred fps and horror stories of excess pressure exploding rifles by simply switching to magnum primers .
    Thanks for the input .
    Gary

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Thickness in cup between both mainly.
    Most don’t understand the difference in ignition between manufacturers.
    Some brands are much hotter/cooler than others

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    A good write up that helps answer your question
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/04/ultimate-large-rifle-primer-shoot-out-16-types-tested/

And this one has examples of flash

https://www.6mmbr.com/primerpix.html

b9cbbd1d5d8bd7cc8cb791eaef1750ee.jpg

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Yes , but drop the powder charge back a grain , especially if you are loading at maximum charges , just to make sure you don't bump up pressure . Shoot a few groups , look for excess pressure signs and adjust load as needed .
    A few years ago the primer shortage had many using magnum primers when it was all they had/could get . It bumps pressures up a little so the caution to drop back and work up .
    Gary

Nope
    I don’t agree.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I really enjoy reloading but it can be so inexact.
    Whatever you do, tread cautiously and amp up slowly.

I have seen 100fps muzzle velocity swing just between lot numbers (same powder charge) of h4350 in 6x47 loads.
    A lot of misinformation out there.
    Just because it says magnum don’t mean it goes faster.

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We have this question all the time. What we time folks is magnum doesn’t necessarily mean hotter.
    Mickey has loaded more primers than any ten regular shooters, he speaks from years of experience.

Bryan

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    We have this question all the time. What we time folks is magnum doesn’t necessarily mean hotter.
    Mickey has loaded more primers than any ten regular shooters, he speaks from years of experience.

Bryan

/\
    Bryan, The level of knowledge that you have standing behind the counter of your shop Is second to none. I send those that are lost there often for guidance.
    Between yourself and the xmeister, there is not a reloading question that is not in your wheelhouse.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Only 19 fps , yes that sounds correct ...I knew it wasn't much but some reloader's just went off the deep end claiming several hundred fps and horror stories of excess pressure exploding rifles by simply switching to magnum primers .
    Thanks for the input .
    Gary

That is even more than what was recorded when we tested some custom rounds I made up years ago. I wouks, say on some case's it just cleaned up the loads and made them more accurate. Shooting on a day with different water did more.
    In one case a low power load of Varget and 4895 the magnum primers in 30-06 did just that. The mag used gave a cleaner burn and also made them more accurate. It was a,win win

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    That is even more than what was recorded when we tested some custom rounds I made up years ago. I wouks, say on some case's it just cleaned up the loads and made them more accurate. Shooting on a day with different water did more.
    In one case a low power load of Varget and 4895 the magnum primers in 30-06 did just that. The mag used gave a cleaner burn and also made them more accurate. It was a,win win

Yeah,Years ago someone posted their results on BS, Was that you by chance?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Yeah,Years ago someone posted their results on BS, Was that you by chance?

Yes it was me. Also looks like spell check killed my reply and changed some and not others.
    I my case low power loads in 30-06 showed more variance in weather than primers.
    In cold weather where temp sensitive powder was used with mag primers they helped a lot. Also cleaned up the burn as,well as made more accurate. In my case we tried them due to low case fill instead of using a filler as some do. FYI some cast bullet guys use a filler on top the powder
    To get better ignition with things like Dacron. I am not a fan of doing that.
    Also reading up looks like Military Primers sold by CCI for 5.56 and 7.62x51 guys use in semi auto are Magnum Strength but with a thicker cup to prevent slam-fire.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom