Looking for 45 barrel threading advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a 45 can in jail right now with about 6 months left on its sentence although I hope it gets an early release. Right now, the only hosts I have are 9mm. I do have a couple 1911's I may grab a threaded barrel for. But this post is not about them. I have an SBR HK USC with a flanged barrel.

IMG_0968.jpg

Because of the flange, would there be an issue with having the barrel threaded? Or would it be better to simply get a barrel that's already threaded and 3 lug? The pre-threaded barrel runs around $300.

threaded-barrel-16-x-1-ump-45-3-lug-1.jpg

If I can get the current barrel threaded in 5/8x24, I could always pick up a SilencerCo 3 lug adaptor for threaded barrels.

ac2603.jpg

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    The fillet makes no difference if you have it threaded, a competent gunsmith would just remove radius, make a relief and thread muzzle per your specifications. Taylor should be able to do it in probably 20mins not sure what his current prices are though. EMgunslinger I believe his name is on here or buhler ballistics is the shop.

My new shop won't be setup for another few months sadly but when it's finished and everything is all paper worked out I'll be setup for proper gunsmith work on all firearms , cerakoting and general gunthings in the thibodaux area.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The fillet makes no difference if you have it threaded, a competent gunsmith would just remove radius, make a relief and thread muzzle per your specifications. Taylor should be able to do it in probably 20mins not sure what his current prices are though. EMgunslinger I believe his name is on here or buhler ballistics is the shop.

My new shop won't be setup for another few months sadly but when it's finished and everything is all paper worked out I'll be setup for proper gunsmith work on all firearms , cerakoting and general gunthings in the thibodaux area.

I've gone to buhler ballistics to have a muzzle brake timed, pinned, and welded on a 14.5* barrel. Great guy, easy to work with. The last time I talked to him about a job, he was booked with some contract work. That was a good while ago and he's started to post more pictures of his work on Facebook so he may be done with that contract.

I'm not sure who Taylor is.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I can only give my personal opinion, almost always thinking from a resale perspective.

$300 for a threaded barrel and I have the ability to return to bone stock configuration tomorrow. Should I ever want to part with the gun, I’ve got both ends covered. Here’s an unadulterated weapon with the option of a threaded barrel for this price or that price.
    vs
    $XX for threading service, and whatever else I may need to make it work. An adulterated barrel that will likely raise some concern on a sale.

Well, if a threaded barrel cost $500+ I might think about it a tad longer, maybe even have mine threaded if the difference in cost was that drastic, but for $300 I’m keeping my options open with a firearm that cost me a good deal more than a $300 barrel.

Voice of reason rarely trumps the I wanna voice

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I can only give my personal opinion, almost always thinking from a resale perspective.

$300 for a threaded barrel and I have the ability to return to bone stock configuration tomorrow. Should I ever want to part with the gun, I’ve got both ends covered. Here’s an unadulterated weapon with the option of a threaded barrel for this price or that price.
    vs
    $XX for threading service, and whatever else I may need to make it work. An adulterated barrel that will likely raise some concern on a sale.

Well, if a threaded barrel cost $500+ I might think about it a tad longer, maybe even have mine threaded if the difference in cost was that drastic, but for $300 I’m keeping my options open with a firearm that cost me a good deal more than a $300 barrel.

Voice of reason rarely trumps the I wanna voice

The original barrel is 16". I still have it. I also have all the German parts that were exchanged for American parts to make it 922r compliant.

- - - Updated - - -

Taylor Pickerell, the guy who did the work for you.

I wasn't at the shop when the work was done so I never knew who actually did the work. I've only talked to Brandon.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The original barrel is 16". I still have it. I also have all the German parts that were exchanged for American parts to make it 922r compliant.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't at the shop when the work was done so I never knew who actually did the work. I've only talked to Brandon.

The flared shoulder can be cut off if it's not needed for a shoulder. It depends on the muzzle device you plan to use if you need to have a shoulder cut or not. Taylor can tell you that.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I reached out to Buhler Ballistics and was given Taylor's email address. I tried to reach him through email and through here but I haven't heard anything yet. I even tried to call the number I could find online for the company but got no answer and the voicemail didn't have the company name. Does anyone know a good way to reach him or know any other gunsmiths in the BR/Gonzales area?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom