New to AR's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Saint Edge pistol that began to fall apart after 2 mags was pretty comical. It was even more reassuring to know that the magazine wouldn't drop free. Not bad for a $1300 "pistol," right?

Also, I'll just leave this here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1PWfRZADvl/

Is that a hasty generalization or are you just showing us what could be an isolated example of bad QC?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    An observation that some manufacturers are more prone to QC failures than others.

I'll stipulate PSA's quality control could be lower than other brands but I don't believe a conclusion about any manufacturer can be drawn by observing one item. Or two. Or three. There are plenty of other factors to consider such as the number of items sold. Company A can have twice as many QC failures as Company B but if Company A sells three times the number of units as Company B, Company A has a lower QC failure rate.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'll stipulate PSA's quality control could be lower than other brands but I don't believe a conclusion about any manufacturer can be drawn by observing one item. Or two. Or three. There are plenty of other factors to consider such as the number of items sold. Company A can have twice as many QC failures as Company B but if Company A sells three times the number of units as Company B, Company A has a lower QC failure rate.

When Company A has a higher percentage of QC failures as Company B, even though Company A sells five times as many rifles as Company B, that's a problem.

Companies such as PSA often manufacture items in house in large quantities and outsource parts in large quantities. A common fallacy is that a part comes from company X, spec'd for company Y, so it must be good. However, company X is manufacturing that part to tolerances that increase production and doesn't perform QC checks on every parts leaving the door, because that would increase cost. So when company Y gets the part, there is a potential for failure. Example: FN sends CHF blanks to PSA. Those finished barrels are of a lesser quality than the CHF barrels being produced by FN. Aero Precision, DC Machine, Azimuth, and Microbest are just a few OEM's that I can think of off the top of my head. Azimuth itself supplies parts to hundreds of companies. That doesn't mean all of those parts are created equal.

I don't believe a conclusion about a manufacturer can be drawn by observing one, two, or three items, but when you've had multiple parts fail, see how many questions are raised, and see parts failures and QC slips, you can come to the conclusion that the manufacturer is making lesser quality parts. You don't see PSA rifles being sold to major agencies. All of that being said, if someone wants to buy a budget rifle as a range toy, to familiarize themselves with the platform, and potentially use it as a guinea pig to pull apart, by all means... go for it. Just don't go on the wonderful interwebs and argue with people that it's God's gift to man, because it's far from it.

This picture just popped up on my feed. So when people say it's a rarity, I beg to differ.

79500089_10102520986644635_4276913800403222528_n.jpg

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    When Company A has a higher percentage of QC failures as Company B, even though Company A sells five times as many rifles as Company B, that's a problem.

Bravo...now you're getting it. Without know all of that extra data, anyone can put whatever numbers they want in there to show whatever they want it to show. Well...I know I don't have the numbers. Maybe you know how many units the companies sell and the number of QC failures they have. If you do, I'm sure people would be interested in knowing them.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Bravo...now you're getting it. Without know all of that extra data, anyone can put whatever numbers they want in there to show whatever they want it to show. Well...I know I don't have the numbers. Maybe you know how many units the companies sell and the number of QC failures they have. If you do, I'm sure people would be interested in knowing them.

I know that PSA was pumping out 1400 receivers a week, now doing many more, and that it's not cost efficient for them to check every single part. Do the math on a normal work week.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    When/where was this? Haven't ran across it

A day on the range with a friend that had multiple guns for T&E. The gun was sent back to Springfield, to my knowledge, so I’m curious to see what they will do. The firearm was a Springfield SAINT Edge pistol. Retail is $1380 if I recall. Gen 2 and 3 PMAG’s would not drop free and had to be forcibly removed from the magwell. After a few magazines, the handguard screws began loosening and the handguard was rotating while firing. I removed one of the screws and found that they were all loose and zero threadlocker was applied.

A few weeks prior, I was shown photos of a SAINT rifle that arrived to the dealer without a gas tube roll pin installed and there was carbon buildup near the gas port, so it was test fired at least once.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Well, I guess we will see Thursday.
    I have 6 Springfield products, everyone I would bet my life on

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Well, I guess we will see Thursday.
    I have 6 Springfield products, everyone I would bet my life on

I’m not telling you it’s going to fall apart. I’m stating that QC slips happen.

The Springfield SAINT line isn’t horrible when compared to other rifles in the same price range.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    The guy already bought the rifle. It's not like he's going to get another. I was going to recommend a m&p 15. But too late for that.

There's countless YouTube videos on how to clean them and maintain them. Watch a bunch and see which you think is the best way. Everyone has their method. Or look at the instructions or contact the manufacturer to see how to.

I shoot the cheapest ammo I can find most of the time which is usually steel case Russian stuff. It just needs to go bang. If it burns dirty or isn't brass, I don't care. I'm not looking for fancy brass to hit a tick off a cows butt at 500 yards.

For home defense I use what works. I use rounds that I've shot a thousand or 2 or 3 through the gun. For defense fancy ammo, usually the price is very high and I'm not willing to make sure my gun is reliable shooting so much of it. I rather buy cheaper ammo, make sure it's reliable and practice so I can actually hit the target.

If you are scared of over penetration, go set up some small walls for how your home is built. For example, dry wall, then 3/8" plywood, then another sheet of dry wall. Make 2, 4 or 6 and line them up. See what it goes through. Make your choice after you see the results. Or trust what the internet says.

I do QC of machined parts for a living. There's always a potential for failure. A lot of people diss hi point pistols but that's all some people can afford. That's OK. These are just my opinion and what works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom