South Louisiana Highpower Club, Inc. 2020 high power rifle match program

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DH Vidrine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    South Louisiana Highpower Club, Inc. 2020 high power rifle match program

DATES: Jan. 26; Feb. 23; ; March 29; April 26; May 24; June 28; July 26; Aug. 23; Sept. 27; Oct. 25; and Nov. 29.
    SPONSOR: South Louisiana Highpower Club, Inc.

LOCATION; Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, Gonzales, LA. ; 1934 St. Landry Rd. Exit I-10 at exit 177. Go west a half mile to St. Landry Rd. Turn left and go a half mile to Rifle Range Rd. Turn left into range and follow road to 300 yd. range.
    TIME; Squadding ends at 8:30 AM—Shooting starts at 9:00 AM.

ELIGIBILITY; Open to all U.S. citizens who possess the physical ability and maturity to handle a firearm safely as determined by the range safety officer/match director.

CLASSIFICATION; The NRA classification system will be used. Contestants without a NRA classification will fire in the Master class. Classes with less than three entries will fire in the next higher class.

FEES; $12 members, $15 non-members $15. Juniors shoot for $5. Membership is $15 Jan. 1—Dec. 31.

COURSE OF FIRE; A 50 round National Match course will be fired at 200 yds. Ten shots standing on the SR target in ten minutes; ten rounds sitting or kneeling in 60 seconds on the SR target; ten rounds prone in 70 seconds on the SR 42; target and twenty rounds in twenty minutes on the MR 52 target. There will two sighters before each stage.

AWARDS; Awards will be separated by class. There will be an overall match winner. Each class will receive awards for each three shooters.

RIFLE /SIGHTS; NRA Match Rifle or Service Rifle, . Rules 3.1,3.1.1 and 3.3. ( new rule permits 4.5 power scope on AR15 service rifles). NRA Match Rifles allow scopes.

AMMUNITION; Competitors must furnish their own. No armor piercing or tracers.

There will be no break for lunch. Water will be provided. Restrooms are available.

Contact : George Serrett; PO Box 41639; Baton Rouge, LA 70835; (225)389-6118; gserrett41@cox.net

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My primary training has been on the tactical side but I've been interested in trying out some competitive shooting. Do you have a link the the rules referenced in the post? I looked for them and found a 2016 NRA HIGH POWER RIFLE RULES document but there is no 3.1.1 so I'm guess it's out of date. From what I can gather having zero knowledge of this type of match, all one needs to shoot is $15, 50 rounds, and an M16 (AR15) series rifle?

Bmw69ss

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    covington
    You will need about 60 plus rounds because of sighters. It’s a great match to get started in high power. This was where I started shooting years back. AR with a 20* barrel and up to a 4.5 power scope or irons according to the rules. Shooting coat and a sling is needed also. They may let you shoot with a 16* barrel and a different power scope but Dwayne will need to comment on that. If you showed up with your Ar to shoot for the 1st time everyone will be more than happy to help and possibly loan you equipment.
    Barry

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You will need about 60 plus rounds because of sighters. It’s a great match to get started in high power. This was where I started shooting years back. AR with a 20* barrel and up to a 4.5 power scope or irons according to the rules. Shooting coat and a sling is needed also. They may let you shoot with a 16* barrel and a different power scope but Dwayne will need to comment on that. If you showed up with your Ar to shoot for the 1st time everyone will be more than happy to help and possibly loan you equipment.
    Barry

Is there any links to the new rules? I'd like to see what other rifles are options. The 2016 rules state an AR cannot have a barrel length of more than 20*. Have the rules since changed to at least 20*? Or is this competition using a different rule book?

https://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

Last edited:

Bmw69ss

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    covington
    I really don’t know where they are posted but for that match a 16* barrel will work because the match is shot at 200 yards. Palo Alto matches and other places are shot at 200, 300 and 600 yards so a 16* barrel out to 600 will be more difficult to do. But to get started a 16* at that match will work. You can go watch if needed to see how the match works.

DH Vidrine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Listed below is the link for the 2018 NRA highpower rifle rule book. The reference to section 3.1.1 is in error.

Section 3.1 describes the service rifle.
    Section 3.3 describes the NRA match rifle.

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

The best rifle to start with is the AR-15 service rifle. A 16" barrel will work for 200yd. 600 yd. requires a minimum 20" barrel and able to fire 75 or 77 gr. bullets.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Listed below is the link for the 2018 NRA highpower rifle rule book. The reference to section 3.1.1 is in error.

Section 3.1 describes the service rifle.
    Section 3.3 describes the NRA match rifle.

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

The best rifle to start with is the AR-15 service rifle. A 16" barrel will work for 200yd. 600 yd. requires a minimum 20" barrel and able to fire 75 or 77 gr. bullets.

Thanks for the clarification. My duty rifle has a 16* barrel and I may check out one of the shoots. I'll just have to switch out the scope as I keep a 1-6x and an Eotech in the case.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom