Would Love To Hear Ear Protection Ideas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Okay, so most of my life I have used the orange military plugs. I admit that growing up we didn't always use ear protection and sometimes I am hard of hearing so that is def. something I want to make sure I protect my kids from.

I am looking for ideas when it comes to ear protection and hunting. Esp, when it comes to protection for my 6 year old. We have been doing a lot of hunting but as he moves up in caliber the need for better protections is a must. I am looking for something that we can wear while hunting and still be able to hear but block out the noise when shooting.

Would love to hear ideas if you have experience with one type or brand.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    MSA Supreme Pro-X; water resistant, good sound quality, can amplify ambient noise, blocks rifle fire well, and their customer service is top notch.

Howard Leigh Impact Sports are cheap, about $40, but the price reflects the sound quality. You get what you pay for.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    With the Impact Sports I can hear things I can't hear without them. In stereo, so you get a directional effect.

The problem is getting a good cheek weld while shooting a rifle.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Thanks, I will look into those. With muffs it is hard to sometimes get a good cheek weld.

I tried letting my son use regular muffs but he couldn't hear me talking to him which presented another challenge and safety issue.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Thanks, I will look into those. With muffs it is hard to sometimes get a good cheek weld.

I tried letting my son use regular muffs but he couldn't hear me talking to him which presented another challenge and safety issue.

I urge everyone to invest in electronic hearing protection, even if it is only the Howard Leight Impact Sports. At $40 they are good value. However, if you want better sound quality, I would look into MSA and Peltor. Try a pair if you have the opportunity. As you've already observed, not being able to hear ambient noise is a safety risk.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I urge everyone to invest in electronic hearing protection, even if it is only the Howard Leight Impact Sports. At $40 they are good value. However, if you want better sound quality, I would look into MSA and Peltor. Try a pair if you have the opportunity. As you've already observed, not being able to hear ambient noise is a safety risk.

Indeed. That is why I am inquiring to see what those with experience prefer.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Those are passive ear plugs. With a 33db noise reduction, you're not going to hear most ambient sounds. The advantage to active hearing protection is the ability to amplify ambient sounds.

FWIW, you should read the reviews. These are designed for a specific use case and I wouldn't recommend them.

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I have a set of the MSA Sordin Pro Digital hearing protectors and highly recommend them.
    Mine are a few years old but still flawless.
    They’re comfortable for extended wearing as well which is nice.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

I couldn't agree anymore.

I have the Howard Leight ones ($40) and they work very well for casual days at the range. If I get back to shooting every week again, I'll likely invest in some MSAs.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've used the Howard Leights and been happy with them for the price. Also have a pair of digital behind the ear Walkers and had custom ear molds made for them. Between the units on sale and molds I was probably into them for $350 but I also use them during archery season which is a lot longer season on public land so that helps justify it.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Ok I’m to lazy to read every thing here, but I have tried to figure out something to hunt with for a while. I find it disorienting to use non-electric ear-pro and my muffs just don’t work well for me in a stand. I’ve wanted some of the electronic plugs but they are usually expensive and if I lost or damaged a $100 set of plugs I would be quite unhappy. I was in Walmart and saw some that were branded with the Walker name but were $30. They advertised a 25nrr.

Now that may not sound really low but compared to 30nrr it really is. Shooting at the range my ears began to bother me next to the guys running their AR’s. They are not my first choice for going to a range.

All things considered it’s a reasonable compromise to not using ear-pro while hunting.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I use some peltor electronic muffs when outdoors. When indoors I double up using foam plugs plus the peltor electronics

Lyle Savant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Central (NE Baton Rouge, LA)
    I’ve never used Ear Protection when hunting, but my new gun has a large Muzzle Break, which is great for reducing recoil and making follow-up shots, but the issue arises when shooting over water while stalking. OMG, the sound comes right back up at you and you can’t hear and ringing in ears lasts for days.

So I picked this product up at Cabela’s for $20. I keep them around my neck when using that gun in water. They still allow some hearing, but block the bang. I’ve yet to pull the trigger with them, but know it will help. Looks like a great product for cheap.
    d516391bad68f274691ee5d6768fdc2a.jpg

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    https://proears.com/product/pro-ears-pro-tac-slim-gold/
    This is what I have been using. Very quick shut off time and I really like them. They make several models and are coming out with some new products.
    I have some molded ear protection that have microphones in them which are great for deer hunting but they pick up so much noise when walking (bird hunting) that I don’t like them for that application - expensive too!

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Any ear pro is better than no ear pro.
    You only get one set of ears; take good care of them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom