Movie theater ranges

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    cross posted from the scout rifle forum:
    Since wild boars conquer more and more parts of Germany in ever larger populations, more hunters have to learn shooting a rifle at moving targets. In the past this used to be targets pulled on a rail at a certain speed at 50 yds. Nowadays we go and practice in “shooting cinemas”.
    These are rooms about 10 meters wide and 30 meters long. There is a large cinema screen at the end of the room which is lit by infra red light from behind. At the back of the room are a projector and an IR camera. As soon as the screen is pierced by another bullet, the IR camera registers a new “red dot”.
    Now the operator runs a movie clip and you can shoot at the movie with your rifle and “normal” ammo. The movie can be set to stop after every shot and the projector will indicate with a fat Red Cross where you hit your target. Alternatively you can shoot 5 shots into your movie scene and then replay the scene with a short break indicating the said cross at every hit.
    We usually shoot at hunting movies with boars in all sorts of situations. But you can also display any kind of target for a set time to practice snap shooting. And of course you can shoot safari clips and many more ;-)
    I love the drills in the cinema since there is a lot of “action”. You can put quite a few rounds through your rifle and do various drills. As hunters we have to pass a proficiency test every year: 3 shots on a standing bore from sitting, 3 shots at a standing boar from standing and 3 shots at a moving boar from standing. A great drill and good fun.
    Do you guys have these kind of training facilities in your area, too?

From the responding posts there are similar facilities in Germany, England and now in the Dallas area. There's an abandoned theater in Kenner by the Esplanade Mall and another across the street sitting vacant.... would you go to something like this?

And I was thinking of how much fun it would be to edit the bank robbery scene from Heat... :)

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Interesting. I can see this as a useful way to train. With a little more effort it could be utilized similar to sims, albeit likely less effective. For hunting practice it could be pretty useful just not sure how you simulate longer range target/shots or even some of the ‘in you face’ kind of action you get on a 2D wall.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    cross posted from the scout rifle forum:

From the responding posts there are similar facilities in Germany, England and now in the Dallas area. There's an abandoned theater in Kenner by the Esplanade Mall and another across the street sitting vacant.... would you go to something like this?

And I was thinking of how much fun it would be to edit the bank robbery scene from Heat... :)

Any idea which one in the Dallas area people are referencing?

It sounds like a cool concept, but I'm not sure that it will replace sims work for self-defense things.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    There used to be a air rifle competition called running game with an electronic motorized target. It was hard as hell till you learned to shoot like a shotgun and follow through.
    IDK if its still a thing.

Barry.McOkenar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    Sounds like a cool concept, I'd check it out. I wonder how they handle changing out the screens and what that cost looks like.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Royal Range in Nashville, TN is a five-star range. They have a great facility and local law enforcement agencies even train there. It’s been featured on many shooting/ outdoor TV programs.

It used to be a multi-screen movie theater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom