Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 132223
    _________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdindadell View Post
    Any thoughts on Giselle's super duty rifle? Seems to be well thought out... some proprietary materials such as the carpenter 158+ steel for the bolt...
    With their current price increase, there are better options to be had.

Geissele has had a few QC issues lately along with their backlog of orders that are long overdue, I’d shop elsewhere.

enthusiast

User Info Menu

Stephen

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

From the Trajectory Arms FB page.

Barrels are often overgassed to compensate for loosely fitting parts. This rifle ran without a hiccup ever, but the owner complained about it running rough and getting gas in his face, unsuppressed...
    The wildly oversized gas port delivered plenty of gas to make it function despite the terrible leaks around the barrel and gas tube but the rifle was miserable to shoot and was likely shortening the lifespan of the other components.
    Theres a big difference between running and running well. Just like how your truck might run on 7 cylinders, its not exactly good to run it that way for long.
    This one is getting a new gas block and gas tube to seal up the leaks and a @blackrivertactical insert to tame it down.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    From the Trajectory Arms FB page.

My Dad bought a POF AR-10 (not sure which one) in .308 that was unreliable. Sent it in to them and got it back a few weeks later running reliably but just like you said above. They opened up the gas port, and it ran but the impulse was weird. I know it's hard for them to find that balance that will work for everyone, but it was not really a cheap rifle. He wound up selling and moving on from it.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by twinin View Post
    My Dad bought a POF AR-10 (not sure which one) in .308 that was unreliable. Sent it in to them and got it back a few weeks later running reliably but just like you said above. They opened up the gas port, and it ran but the impulse was weird. I know it's hard for them to find that balance that will work for everyone, but it was not really a cheap rifle. He wound up selling and moving on from it.
    What happens is the manufacturer will have their set specifications so that all the parts "should" work together. Sometimes you encounter tolerance stacking and sometimes you encounter bad quality control. Opening up the gas port should be the last thing anyone does. I'm surprised they did it. You can overgas a rifle and it will function, but as the post above shows, it won't run well.

Marksman

User Info Menu

It may not be ---but it has served the purpose thru over 1000 rounds and still going strong---S&W entry level 556/223---

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Reason #398523582 why you should always check headspace when assembling a rifle, installing a new barrel, installing a new bolt, or swapping bolts.

Case detonated with what appears to be short headspace. Primer blew out and the case head failed. Extractor snapped in half, bolt cracked, and the rest of the case is stuck in the chamber. Owner said he didn't check headspace.

First major malfunction. But this is why budget builds are a complete waste of time and money. (my first AR build) This is an AR Stoner BCG I've been having trouble with. Extractor pin snapped during a class, I replaced it and I was testing it out again today. Ripped through 90 rounds of cheap steel wolf, first round of American Eagle, blew the primer out, snapped my extractor in half. I collapsed my stock and mortered the bolt loose, cracking the minimalist stock. I flicked out the piece of extractor and now I can't get the casing out, to take down the rifle. I'm about to ATF destroy this pile and start over.