Your budget AR is not "just as good"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I feel like I've heard that before...

To add, I don't know of any Geo Metro owners claiming that it's "just as good" as a Ferrari.

Those owners are likely looking at the two in a different context. Looking at practicality, the Geo would make a better daily driver than the Ferrari. And the money difference would pay for a lot of gas. As a weekend car, the context from which the owners are looking, the Ferrari is better than the Geo.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Those owners are likely looking at the two in a different context. Looking at practicality, the Geo would make a better daily driver than the Ferrari. And the money difference would pay for a lot of gas. As a weekend car, the context from which the owners are looking, the Ferrari is better than the Geo.

Then you have the guys who leave their car in the garage and tell everyone how great it is.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Was that you a couple of years ago and built a ''budget''AR and posted on here or was it another member?

Probably me. I built a few actually. By built I mean I cobbled it together and never fired it. I sold it off to someone here. After those disasters and having dealt with crappy parts, I decided to learn a little more.

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    Gentlemen Gentlemen
    There's an easy way to settle this
    Bayou gunslingers has a private range for rent . Bring your home builds , bring your overpriced high end guns and settle this debate like Americans !!
    With lots and lots of gun fire !!
    Last gun standing wins .

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Gentlemen Gentlemen
    Bayou gunslingers has a private range for rent . Bring your home builds , bring your overpriced high end guns and settle this debate like Americans !!
    Last gun standing wins .

You and Magdump have fun with that.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Gentlemen Gentlemen
    Last gun standing wins .

There you go DAVE old buddy
    Bring your budget beater and run it against your spiffy name brand chopper.
    You can ''Duel Weld'' One in each hand bang'in the gong !

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I’d go toe to toe with my AK’s to any of Dave’s *premium* AR’s.

Ak is superior.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I’d go toe to toe with my AK’s to any of Dave’s *premium* AR’s.

Ak is superior.

The mere fact that you are emotionally invested in a specific type of firearm is telling enough for me.

AK's are neato, when they work.
    AR's are neato, when they work.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    So, I like the general premise of how the thread starts, but I personally do not agree with some of the feedback. I'm an FFL and NFA manufacturer. I specialize in custom AR platform builds. To dumb it down for most guys, I explain like this. Cheap AR's are fine if your going to the range 3 times a year and don't give a **** about accuracy. And there is a market for that. When you start paying up for nice firearms, your paying for quality.

I would personally never purchase any firearm part from anyone but a reputable manufacturer. The reason is because it's flat out dangerous. I have been there and done it. I've catastrophic malfunctions, and it only takes one to understand. And anyone standing around you that sees it, understands as well. Now, there are several AR manufacturers that produce this stuff that is safe and fairly reliable with little use. Palmetto and Anderson being two of the most prominent. Their barrels are junk though. Someone stated that you don't buy AR's that have been assembled, only SCAR's and Sig's or whatever. Where is the logic in that? Everything is assembled by someone somewhere either in a shop, or facility, or in your home.

Why do guys have these high end custom bolt guns built? If your competent, that's what matters. And the parts you use of course. I can build a significantly better firearm, at a much better price than you can purchase out of a box. For the most part anyway. There is high end stuff out there that is bad ass for sure. But for the average, middle of the road shooter, I can save you money. Reliability and functionality are paramount, with accuracy being second. If the gun doesn't shoot, doesn't matter how accurate it is. I also saw someone saying that you get what you pay for, but that a higher priced rifle is not always better. That's an oxymoron, it's contradicting itself, and it's really not true.

These prices are not pulled out of thin air, they are based on the cost of manufacturing of the item. It's all percentages. The reason why one firearm cost more than another is because it cost more to build, and the reason it cost more to build is because the parts and the process cost more, etc. Maybe it's a different type of metal used, maybe the finish is higher end, maybe the QC process is more stringent. There are so many factors that drive the prices, and the reason why is all bc of the quality of the firearm. You grab a Palmetto, and you grab a middle of the road firearm like an Aero, shake em both and listen to the rattle. You tell me. Then put up a target at 100 yards, and shoot some groups. You find out real quick exactly why you don't really want a Palmetto. The reality is that there actually are a lot of people that buy these things and never shoot em, so it doesn't matter. So they will never know, and that's fine.

I encourage anyone that can legally own a firearm to exercise their second amendment right and arm themselves, but if you ask me questions about why one is better than the other, I'm gonna tell you the truth. A lot of people listen, and a lot don't. A lot come back and upgrade. The bottom line is this....if your a shooter, you don't even have to ask these questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I also saw someone saying that you get what you pay for, but that a higher priced rifle is not always better. That's an oxymoron, it's contradicting itself, and it's really not true.

It is true. If you pay boutique rifle prices, you will get a boutique rifle. That doesn't necessarily mean it's better. You are paying for proprietary parts.

A perfect example would be a piston AR.

I agree with everything else stated.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    I'm not real sure what you consider a "boutique" rifle. You can get an Adams Arms piston driven AR for about $700 brand new. The piston driven AR's served a purpose based on a false premise of better reliability over gas. That is pretty well known, at this point, to not be true. They have more moving parts, so that would drive the price up.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    There are people on this forum that will tell you brand X is just as good as brand Y, but will never explain why other than saying "well I have 100 flawless rounds through mine without an issue." Those people are clueless. Everyone harps on the AR being like building Lego blocks, but it's really far from it, especially if you tend to use cheap parts. Just because you hear that brand X has parts made by brand Y, does not mean those parts are the same. Often times they are worse, but occasionally they will be better. When they are better it's due to the company having those parts made to their specifications performing additional checks and tests on those parts to ensure they meet a set of standards. In a previous thread, I posted videos of DC Machine, where the majority of PSA parts are made. That company is pushing out 2000+ receivers a week, but only check a small percentage of those parts leaving the shop. This leaves a greater margin for errors. While you feel you're getting a deal, you won't know until you check it. Having the right tools to check these things is important.

If you're serious about the AR platform, I suggest watching this video and reading through these links.

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/school-of-the-american-rifle-ar-builders-qa-part-1/

https://www.instagram.com/schooloftheamericanrifle/?hl=en

I have a DPMS Oracle AR15 and a PSA AR10. Are they as good as some $3000 rifle? Probably not. But who cares. We all buy these as range toys, we are not going to war with them. Sure some will say, Mine is not a range toy, it is for home defense. How many people here will be defending their home in a hours long firefight? Nobody. My DPMS fires much better than the piece of crap Colt M-16 I used in the Army so who cares if my DPMS is not the Ferrari of AR15's. When I get deployed with the special forces (which will be never) I will upgrade to some super expensive AR.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom