Your budget AR is not "just as good"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I guess I’m still missing why this is such great concern you would oppose my statement of ‘buy/build what you want and don’t worry about the second owner’. The M&P sport II isn’t likely fooling anyone already on here. I personally like building stuff I’ll likely never buy another manufacturer assembled ar but it’s because I enjoy tinkering. I also enjoy using premium parts where it counts and using second hand or lower end parts where it’s less important. But those are my preferences, and as mentioned before the likelihood one of my blasters will fail from wear is pretty low. Would I trust them defensively? No more and no less than any other weapon I own with equal trigger time.

If you enjoy building, it would behoove you to watch the podcast posted in the original post.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The works for me mentality is why people believe the $350 AR-15 they bought is the equivalent to a reliable and quality carbine.

WOW Dave,I thought you were coming back being kinder and gentler in 2019?

How much deader and tastier would my bargain basement pew pew pew being used on deer's and piggies VS lets say your high-end name brand yuppie pew pew pew be?

Would they be better tasting?

How much deader would they be?

Would I smell Hoppes #9 when shooting or cooking?

Will I have to track deer farther in the dark with coyotes howling at ever step?

Just a few question's for us peasants cause we gots to know!!!

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If I knew What the OP’s intended definition of ‘as good as’ was I’d be more likely to settle this from my standpoint. Reliable and dependable? Accurate to within reason? How pretty does it have to be? Bells and whistles? Because I don’t deck my budget rifles out past a decent stock and optic and you’ll be hard pressed to see much for logos showing on it either.
    I’ll say this, If I thought it was worth my trouble I’d take any one of a dozen lower cost AR15 rifles that I own and load up the same number of mags as any BCM rifle owner and we can take them out to the range and rip through them, mag for mag and see what’s what. So, if any BCM owner wants to spring for the ammo I’ll gladly bring my $500 rifle, built with PSA receivers and build kits, a hundred dollar Anderson arms carbine gassed barrel and a box of mags and meet at the range and get to shooting if it’ll help settle things. I don’t feel the need to prove anything to anyone else because I’m not trying to sell a rifle, but I like to shoot and if Mr BCM springs for the ammo to get his answer I’m down with that. I’m free every other weekend.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    AR's come down to 1) the quality of parts used and 2) how well it was built

The gap between lower cost parts and higher-end parts has gotten closer significantly. After all, the QC inspection method mentioned only still comes down to chance.

As with most things, they do generally follow the "get what you pay for" model. However, there are diminishing returns on higher-end guns cost wise. Everyone should figure out what's right for them.

Also, things are sometimes sold at a higher cost than others...
    1) Fewer units are sold for whatever market reason, causing the business to charge more to make a higher margin and more money on less units (opposite of PSA)
    2) To protect the brand's reputation and power (marketing)
    3) A manufacturer cannot keep up inventory with the demand, so the price is raised to the sweet spot of production

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    S&W M&P Sport2 according to a YouTube video was the best selling rifle in2019. It held up to the meltdown test pretty well too. Just saying for a budget rifle might not be too bad.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    AR's come down to 1) the quality of parts used and 2) how well it was built

The gap between lower cost parts and higher-end parts has gotten closer significantly. After all, the QC inspection method mentioned only still comes down to chance.

As with most things, they do generally follow the "get what you pay for" model. However, there are diminishing returns on higher-end guns cost wise. Everyone should figure out what's right for them.

Also, things are sometimes sold at a higher cost than others...
    1) Fewer units are sold for whatever market reason, causing the business to charge more to make a higher margin and more money on less units (opposite of PSA)
    2) To protect the brand's reputation and power (marketing)
    3) A manufacturer cannot keep up inventory with the demand, so the price is raised to the sweet spot of production

It’s nice to know there is at least one person that understands this.

Companies pushing high volume tend to have an increased number or QC failures. Small batch companies are checking everything, even after parts have been received from the supplier. High volume companies are not. When you spend money on a high end rifle, you are typically getting more than just parts, you’re getting assurance that your rifle was assembled properly.

People call themselves builders and don’t even dimple their barrels.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    S&W M&P Sport2 according to a YouTube video was the best selling rifle in2019. It held up to the meltdown test pretty well too. Just saying for a budget rifle might not be too bad.

*Meltdown tests* are often done by paid reviewers using a hand selected firearm.

You don’t get free T&E guns to write bad reviews about them.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If I knew What the OP’s intended definition of ‘as good as’ was I’d be more likely to settle this from my standpoint. Reliable and dependable? Accurate to within reason? How pretty does it have to be? Bells and whistles? Because I don’t deck my budget rifles out past a decent stock and optic and you’ll be hard pressed to see much for logos showing on it either.
    I’ll say this, If I thought it was worth my trouble I’d take any one of a dozen lower cost AR15 rifles that I own and load up the same number of mags as any BCM rifle owner and we can take them out to the range and rip through them, mag for mag and see what’s what. So, if any BCM owner wants to spring for the ammo I’ll gladly bring my $500 rifle, built with PSA receivers and build kits, a hundred dollar Anderson arms carbine gassed barrel and a box of mags and meet at the range and get to shooting if it’ll help settle things. I don’t feel the need to prove anything to anyone else because I’m not trying to sell a rifle, but I like to shoot and if Mr BCM springs for the ammo to get his answer I’m down with that. I’m free every other weekend.

Dunning-Kruger is in full effect.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    lol I’m being a bit sarcastic. I did watch a video that Iraqivet8888 made. The S&W did perform well. They have a few videos where they take a registered lower and burn up uppers with it. If makes fun watching. Everything fromPSA TO POF.

FYI, iv8888 is one of the paid reviewers I mentioned. He’s accepted thousands from various companies to promote products.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I’ve deleted YouTube. I’ll never be fooled again. Next thing you know Ford, Chevy , and Toyota will be trying some of the same tricks as the gun guys to sell trucks. Sad world we live in.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    It’s nice to know there is at least one person that understands this.

Companies pushing high volume tend to have an increased number or QC failures. Small batch companies are checking everything, even after parts have been received from the supplier. High volume companies are not. When you spend money on a high end rifle, you are typically getting more than just parts, you’re getting assurance that your rifle was assembled properly.

People call themselves builders and don’t even dimple their barrels.

Yeah higher production lends itself to more failures but also more that pass. Oddly enough I’ve seen productivity studies over the years that show larger batches often lend themselves to less QC issues by volume than smaller batch production. You have to consider a similar concept to economies of scale in production QC.

Typically larger batches require more mechanization. More mechanization lends itself to less human error. Less human error increases QC on most continents.

Consider miller lite vs a micro brew. Taste preferences aside, compare the consistency of miller lite to your favorite micro brew. Each batch from the micro brew will have wider variations than miller lite because miller lite has the process mechanized and has extremely tight tolerances in every step along the way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom