Your budget AR is not "just as good"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    You can get a high quality, name brand, chrome lined, hand lapped barrel guaranteed to shoot sub MOA for $250. The Larue MBT trigger is a great trigger, and down to $80.

You can get a barrel that shoots MOA far cheaper than that. Start stretching them out to 500+, then you see it. And after a few thousand rounds, does it keep that accuracy?

Larue triggers are great, your correct. I have several. But your not talking about the drop in, your talking about a regular mil-spec trigger with the same trigger break as a regular trigger out of lower parts kit. The Larue MBT still has a 5.5-6.5 break, which is the same as milspec triggers out of the box. If your changing out the trigger, I want to get it down to 2.5-3.5 break. For $20 more you can purchase the Rise RA140 I was referring to and have a 3.5# break. You can tell the difference between a Rise and something a little higher end. Has a little slack in it, but they are consistent, and for most guys they are fine. I'm not a "precision" shooter, but I do like a decent trigger. I hunt, and I shoot quite a bit. I can tell the difference between the triggers at this point mainly because I've used all of them at one point or another.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You can get a barrel that shoots MOA far cheaper than that. Start stretching them out to 500+, then you see it. And after a few thousand rounds, does it keep that accuracy?

Larue triggers are great, your correct. I have several. But your not talking about the drop in, your talking about a regular mil-spec trigger with the same trigger break as a regular trigger out of lower parts kit. The Larue MBT still has a 5.5-6.5 break, which is the same as milspec triggers out of the box. If your changing out the trigger, I want to get it down to 2.5-3.5 break. For $20 more you can purchase the Rise RA140 I was referring to and have a 3.5# break. You can tell the difference between a Rise and something a little higher end. Has a little slack in it, but they are consistent, and for most guys they are fine. I'm not a "precision" shooter, but I do like a decent trigger. I hunt, and I shoot quite a bit. I can tell the difference between the triggers at this point mainly because I've used all of them at one point or another.

You missed some of my barrel description...

The MBT-2S trigger is a 4.5lb pull, they come with springs to increase the pull if you want but the standard set up is 4.5lbs. It has been measured less than that, but I will stick to what Larue claims. The MBT-1S is the trigger with a 5.5 or 6.5 break depending on the spring selected.

I have no problem spending money for a better rifle, my last AR purchase was from LMT.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I agree that the quality of the barrel is probably the most important thing in an AR (not only important, just most important).

Triggers are also important. You cannot beat the Larue for $80. I have the Rise Armanment and Larue. Paid same price for both, and the Larue blows it away.

BTW, what are your opinions on the best AR barrels in the $200? If it's easy to find a chrome-lined, sub-MOA barrel, what's a good example?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I agree that the quality of the barrel is probably the most important thing in an AR (not only important, just most important).

Triggers are also important. You cannot beat the Larue for $80. I have the Rise Armanment and Larue. Paid same price for both, and the Larue blows it away.

BTW, what are your opinions on the best AR barrels in the $200? If it's easy to find a chrome-lined, sub-MOA barrel, what's a good example?

Criterion makes very nice barrels that could be had for $250 and shoot .5 MOA with off the shelf match ammo.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Criterion makes very nice barrels that could be had for $250 and shoot .5 MOA with off the shelf match ammo.

They do make good barrels, but people chasing 1/2 MOA guns are hand picking ammunition. Even the off the shelf good stuff has inconsistencies every now and then.

That being said, I've had sub $200 barrels shoot an inch or less at 100 with good ammo.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    They do make good barrels, but people chasing 1/2 MOA guns are hand picking ammunition. Even the off the shelf good stuff has inconsistencies every now and then.

That being said, I've had sub $200 barrels shoot an inch or less at 100 with good ammo.

I misread the report I was pulling off of, Handloads registered .412 MOA, off the shelf match was .876 MOA. Either way, the barrels are GTG.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    PSA doesn't verify if their muzzle threads are concentric to the bore and won't guarantee that they are.

You get what you pay for.

88184794_10215135046001967_5281109173189214208_n.jpg

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Most people say its just as good because the gun was built for a purpose and that gun serves their purpose. Most of the time its range toy plinkers or whatever.

I have a mixture of both. Obviously better companies and parts generally equal better guns. Most of my builds have a mixture of both decent to good parts and really good parts. Just depends on the use of the firearm and the budget of course.

veezarza1

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2020
    Louisiana
    Now that is someone who made perfect sense. I hope we all can learn from this video and stop misleading people and telling them wrong info about things we are not sure about ourselves.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Now that is someone who made perfect sense. I hope we all can learn from this video and stop misleading people and telling them wrong info about things we are not sure about ourselves.
    LMAO! You must be new here. Welcome to Bayou Shooter!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Got a link to the others for comparison?

I wonder how many court cases were won by the defense providing a link.

The issue with the article is that the author is trying to push the ideology that all rifles are the same regardless of price. I would like to think that the previous 17 pages would have shed some light on that.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Yeah you right! And thanks for the article.
    But, as much sense and truth as I read in that article, it just don’t agree with somebody’s narrative here, so...

The irony of your signature line...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom