Your budget AR is not "just as good"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    There are people on this forum that will tell you brand X is just as good as brand Y, but will never explain why other than saying "well I have 100 flawless rounds through mine without an issue." Those people are clueless. Everyone harps on the AR being like building Lego blocks, but it's really far from it, especially if you tend to use cheap parts. Just because you hear that brand X has parts made by brand Y, does not mean those parts are the same. Often times they are worse, but occasionally they will be better. When they are better it's due to the company having those parts made to their specifications performing additional checks and tests on those parts to ensure they meet a set of standards. In a previous thread, I posted videos of DC Machine, where the majority of PSA parts are made. That company is pushing out 2000+ receivers a week, but only check a small percentage of those parts leaving the shop. This leaves a greater margin for errors. While you feel you're getting a deal, you won't know until you check it. Having the right tools to check these things is important.

If you're serious about the AR platform, I suggest watching this video and reading through these links.

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/school-of-the-american-rifle-ar-builders-qa-part-1/

https://www.instagram.com/schooloftheamericanrifle/?hl=en

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I have recreational ARs from PSA and they are fine for casual shooting.
    For self defense and serious practice I have two identically specced Colt ARs.

Everything has its place it’s just important to know where that place is for your needs.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have recreational ARs from PSA and they are fine for casual shooting.
    For self defense and serious practice I have two identically specced Colt ARs.

Everything has its place it’s just important to know where that place is for your needs.

Skip to 1:21:00 in the video.

AndyG

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Lafayette, LA
    A) Buy a low end PSA AR-15 for $500. Sell down the road on Bayoushooter for $400.

B) Buy $1500 worth of high-end parts for your AR-15. Sell your fancy frankenpew on Bayoushooter for how much? $750-800?

C) Buy something not **** that holds its value like a SCAR, MCX, Tavor, etc.

(I’m halfway through B and wishing I’d gone A or C. Cadillac frankenpew runs great but i know damn well i’ll lose my ass if/when it comes time to sell.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Buy a low end PSA AR-15 for $500. Sell down the road on Bayoushooter for $400.

Buy $1500 worth of high-end parts for your AR-15. Sell your fancy frankenpew on Bayoushooter for how much?

Most people think their $500 budget gun is worth $3000, because they attached $1500 in trinkets to it. Take a look at the classifieds today and you will see a few.

Used Glocks are worth triple as well.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I have both ends of the spectrum and have shot a bunch out of both and seen a bunch more shot out of both in a variety of settings.

"Budget" AR's these days work remarkably well in general. Most people will never outshoot them, either mechanically or accuracy wise.

Would I pick up a PSA over a "top shelf" brand? No, but I'd suggest most people buy 2 "budget" guns and then try to wear one out in training and competition, at which point they will 1) spend more in ammo than those guns cost and 2) spend WAY more in time than those guns cost and then - after observing their own experiences putting say 10K rounds downrange, and having seen another 200K-500k++ rounds as others shot their guns of various stripes and kinds - then go spend real money on something.

Clint Smith gave me similar advice relative to bolt guns and I didnt' want to hear that almost 20 years ago(!) but he was 100% correct. Wear out any rifle that is adequate and then you'll have a clue as to what works, what works for you, and what you want/value.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    A) Buy a low end PSA AR-15 for $500. Sell down the road on Bayoushooter for $400.

B) Buy $1500 worth of high-end parts for your AR-15. Sell your fancy frankenpew on Bayoushooter for $750-800?

C) Buy something n
    that holds its value like a SCAR, MCX, Tavor, etc.

(I’m halfway through B and wishing I’d gone A or C. Cadillac frankenpew runs great but i know damn well i’ll lose my ass if/when it comes time to sell.)

I don’t want this to come off wrong. Sometimes we all get in a bind and need to sell some stuff, but I never buy a personal use item considering resale. It’s almost always a bad investment.

Real estate is the only thing I buy with my money that I treat as an investment for resale.

That said, that logic allows me buy what I dang well please so long as I can afford it.

I say buy or build what works for you.

Also I never sell guns. Maybe I don’t have enough but it seems like a cardinal sin to me.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have both ends of the spectrum and have shot a bunch out of both and seen a bunch more shot out of both in a variety of settings.

"Budget" AR's these days work remarkably well in general. Most people will never outshoot them, either mechanically or accuracy wise.

Would I pick up a PSA over a "top shelf" brand? No, but I'd suggest most people buy 2 "budget" guns and then try to wear one out in training and competition, at which point they will 1) spend more in ammo than those guns cost and 2) spend WAY more in time than those guns cost and then - after observing their own experiences putting say 10K rounds downrange, and having seen another 200K-500k++ rounds as others shot their guns of various stripes and kinds - then go spend real money on something.

Clint Smith gave me similar advice relative to bolt guns and I didnt' want to hear that almost 20 years ago(!) but he was 100% correct. Wear out any rifle that is adequate and then you'll have a clue as to what works, what works for you, and what you want/value.

I don't disagree. I'd rather see someone buy a budget gun and take enough classes for it to fall apart than see them shoot 500 rounds a year and proclaim it's better than an actualy quality firearm.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Been building buying and shooting what I want for over 30 years. Owned plenty of each extreme. I’ve seen the top quality stuff fail and had plenty of lower cost stuff that has indeed stood the test of time. The best part of all that is judging for myself what is what and although I definitely take note of the manufacturer and as much factual info as I can remember about a firearm or part or accessory, I’ve never believed that I have to buy the most expensive thing or even close to it to have something dependable and of quality. I say this a lot, but every gun or gun related purchase on my part is not to add to my self defense plan. I own firearms for a variety of reasons.

That being said, being a builder, I can and I have, on a budget, built AR 15 rifles that perform as well as high dollar AR 15 rifles. They have been as dependable, as accurate, as functional, and as durable as high dollar AR rifles and many I have built from PSA and other mixed manufacturers using discounted or lower cost premium barrels. At this point in my experience I know that all the basic and small milspec build parts I buy from PSA are of more than adequate quality for anything I’d want to build.
    I may or may not buy the top dollar optics, stocks, grips or hand guards for an AR but don’t consider any of that to be what makes a rifle.
    I started shooting AR’s when there were only a couple of manufacturers in the game. How glad are the majority of AR15 owners that there are so many other companies making and selling rifles and parts? If Colt and Armalite were the only 2 yesterday and Daniel Defense started up today, they’d be the underdog, likely for many years to come. They’d be priced accordingly or they’d likely go out of business.
    I believe they are on par with Colt and Armalite. Just because they aren’t asking a premium doesn’t mean they’re sub par. PSA sells directly to the consumer. That’s why their products are lower priced. Try to purchase a FN CHF barrel from another company like the ones PSA sells on some of their complete uppers and you’ll find they run a couple hundred bucks more than that upper.
    While it’s usually true, you get what you pay for, it’s not always true that the highest priced rifle is always better.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The works for me mentality is why people believe the $350 AR-15 they bought is the equivalent to a reliable and quality carbine.

Thats the thing I don’t care what you buy or if you think it’s the best or worst.

If I recall you had a ‘quality’ gun come apart in your hands.

What is the risk in letting someone who will likely never shoot out their poverty pony think it’s king ding-a-ling? This feels like the conversation about barrel burner cartridges. Those who will burn out a 300wm will also burn out 30-06 so shoot whatever cartridge you prefer. And those who won’t shoot enough to burn one out it won’t matter to them.

Is there some epidemic of people tossing off poverty ponies and being disappointed that I’m in aware of?

Keep in mind I don’t hardly shoot my blasters. Honestly I’m not gonna shoot a high end gun hot enough to ruin a cheap gun. For me it’s just no money or time well spent. If that’s your jam or you require that level of regular training then chances are you are provided a quality weapon or already own one. Am I wrong?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Thats the thing I don’t care what you buy or if you think it’s the best or worst.

If I recall you had a ‘quality’ gun come apart in your hands.

What is the risk in letting someone who will likely never shoot out their poverty pony think it’s king ding-a-ling? This feels like the conversation about barrel burner cartridges. Those who will burn out a 300wm will also burn out 30-06 so shoot whatever cartridge you prefer. And those who won’t shoot enough to burn one out it won’t matter to them.

Is there some epidemic of people tossing off poverty ponies and being disappointed that I’m in aware of?

Keep in mind I don’t hardly shoot my blasters. Honestly I’m not gonna shoot a high end gun hot enough to ruin a cheap gun. For me it’s just no money or time well spent. If that’s your jam or you require that level of regular training then chances are you are provided a quality weapon or already own one. Am I wrong?

I don't recall stating that the Springfield Saint EDGE pistol I had fired was quality, although it did fall apart in my hands while shooting. It did further reinforce my opinion that the Springfield Armory SAINT line of rifles is overpriced for the poor level of QA/QC you receive.

I have no issues with anyone spending their money as they choose, but don't call a Geo Metro a Ferrari. In a recent thread, someone proclaimed that their PSA rifle was just as good as a BCM carbine, although they stated they have no experience with an actual BCM complete rifle. That is the issue.

The mass number of people buying budget rifles will most likely never shoot their rifle enough to know if there is an issue or not. This is a common theme among gun owners in general. It's not exclusive to AR-15 owners.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Been building buying and shooting what I want for over 30 years. Owned plenty of each extreme. I’ve seen the top quality stuff fail and had plenty of lower cost stuff that has indeed stood the test of time. The best part of all that is judging for myself what is what and although I definitely take note of the manufacturer and as much factual info as I can remember about a firearm or part or accessory, I’ve never believed that I have to buy the most expensive thing or even close to it to have something dependable and of quality. I say this a lot, but every gun or gun related purchase on my part is not to add to my self defense plan. I own firearms for a variety of reasons.

That being said, being a builder, I can and I have, on a budget, built AR 15 rifles that perform as well as high dollar AR 15 rifles. They have been as dependable, as accurate, as functional, and as durable as high dollar AR rifles and many I have built from PSA and other mixed manufacturers using discounted or lower cost premium barrels. At this point in my experience I know that all the basic and small milspec build parts I buy from PSA are of more than adequate quality for anything I’d want to build.
    I may or may not buy the top dollar optics, stocks, grips or hand guards for an AR but don’t consider any of that to be what makes a rifle.
    I started shooting AR’s when there were only a couple of manufacturers in the game. How glad are the majority of AR15 owners that there are so many other companies making and selling rifles and parts? If Colt and Armalite were the only 2 yesterday and Daniel Defense started up today, they’d be the underdog, likely for many years to come. They’d be priced accordingly or they’d likely go out of business.
    I believe they are on par with Colt and Armalite. Just because they aren’t asking a premium doesn’t mean they’re sub par. PSA sells directly to the consumer. That’s why their products are lower priced. Try to purchase a FN CHF barrel from another company like the ones PSA sells on some of their complete uppers and you’ll find they run a couple hundred bucks more than that upper.
    While it’s usually true, you get what you pay for, it’s not always true that the highest priced rifle is always better.

I'm surprised you even responded to this thread, since you keep me on your ignore list, Magdump.

Last edited:

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    So my beater AR, with 5k+ rounds should not be counted as reliable, because it was a budget built AR? Isn't that by definition what reliability is? It just works when you pull the trigger? I mean as long as I do what I am supposed to do, and clean and inspect it for signs of excessive wear, cracks, or signs of failure after each heavy use. At what round count can it be considered reliable? As an instructor, retailer, and life long firearms enthusiast I can honestly say I have seen failures from every major, minor, and foreign manufacturer. From AR's to Handguns, to Shotguns. I will agree that the major brands fail less than the minor, or lesser known imports. However, to follow up the previous sentence, the numbers haven't been in sufficient quantity for me to not offer for sale those items. I have customers ask all the time what is a good gun, as I have no loyalty to one over another brand. I tell them one that has the features and ergonomics they are looking for, that shoots reliably well, at whatever price point is comfortable to them. When I purchase a new gun, before I put it into use, whether it be my daily CCW, for use in a class, etc. I bring it to the range and put no less than 300 rounds of whatever bulk ammo I have mixed in my bag at that given time. After the range trip it is cleaned and inspected for excessive wear and any damage. If it passes, I consider it a reliable firearm, safe for self defense use. I think that due diligence is key when going for budget products. There are some good bargains to be had, and some too good to be true. Some budget items work reasonably well, and some do not work at all. It really isn't that hard to tell the difference to someone who has at least done a bit of google homework.

Eventually they will all break, but in all my years most of the stoppages I have seen were due to negligence, ignorance, or some combination of the two. I have personally never had a gun that just all of a sudden broke down. During my inspection process I repair any excessively worn parts, and try to address the root cause of the excessive wear. If I did have a gun that experienced a stoppage on a range trip, it is because I kind of expected it to go at some point, and just let it go for whatever research project I may have been working on that trip. I do occasionally break things in the name of my own science, if I think it is relatively safe. Disclaimer, I am not recommending it.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I don't recall stating that the Springfield Saint EDGE pistol I had fired was quality, although it did fall apart in my hands while shooting. It did further reinforce my opinion that the Springfield Armory SAINT line of rifles is overpriced for the poor level of QA/QC you receive.

I have no issues with anyone spending their money as they choose, but don't call a Geo Metro a Ferrari. In a recent thread, someone proclaimed that their PSA rifle was just as good as a BCM carbine, although they stated they have no experience with an actual BCM complete rifle. That is the issue.

The mass number of people buying budget rifles will most likely never shoot their rifle enough to know if there is an issue or not. This is a common theme among gun owners in general. It's not exclusive to AR-15 owners.

I understand you perceive they have delusions of grandeur. My question for you is how does it harm you or me? This seems like a lot of effort just to call someone out for delusions. As I said before if you buy or build what you want you don’t have to care what other people think of your pew. And if you are happy with your purchase it shouldn’t matter what other people think of theirs.

Remember I popped in here because I struggle understanding the buying for the next buyer mindset, and wanted to throw my 2cents in on that, I really don’t get a hoot about the high zoot vs the bargain barrel debate. I’m not qualified base on my round count behind any of my guns to discuss what will hold up under the extreme abuse some might call it a day at the range. That said most deer hunters would consider what I do at the range with my rifles abusive.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I understand you perceive they have delusions of grandeur. My question for you is how does it harm you or me? This seems like a lot of effort just to call someone out for delusions. As I said before if you buy or build what you want you don’t have to care what other people think of your pew. And if you are happy with your purchase it shouldn’t matter what other people think of theirs.

Remember I popped in here because I struggle understanding the buying the next buyer mindset, and wanted to throw my 2cents in on that, I really don’t get a hoot about the high zoot vs the bargain barrel debate. I’m not qualified base on my round count behind any of my guns to discuss what will hold up under the extreme abuse some might call it a day at the range. That said most deer hunters would consider what I do at the range with my rifles abusive.

Directly or indirectly? Indirectly, I recently had to explain to a family member and friend why the S&W M&P Sport II wasn't the best AR-15 ever made. He came to that conclusion because the uneducated gun store employee was looking to make a sale. My family member also being uninformed took that as fact.

Buy or build, understand what you're getting into. People never cease to amaze me by purchasing something, then asking for opinions on their purchase. They are really looking for someone to reassure them and agree that they made a good decision. The buy once cry once mentality is more akin to measure twice and cut once than it is to believing something is good because it's expensive. I've seen my fair share of $1000+ rifles fall apart. Price is not indicative of quality.

If you had watched the video posted, you would understand that this thread is not about prices.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So my beater AR, with 5k+ rounds should not be counted as reliable, because it was a budget built AR? Isn't that by definition what reliability is? It just works when you pull the trigger?

If that's what you choose to believe.

Firing schedule is more telling than round count.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Directly or indirectly? Indirectly, I recently had to explain to a family member and friend why the S&W M&P Sport II wasn't the best AR-15 ever made. He came to that conclusion because the uneducated gun store employee was looking to make a sale. My family member also being uninformed took that as fact.

Buy or build, understand what you're getting into. People never cease to amaze me by purchasing something, then asking for opinions on their purchase. They are really looking for someone to reassure them and agree that they made a good decision. The buy once cry once mentality is more akin to measure twice and cut once than it is to believing something is good because it's expensive. I've seen my fair share of $1000+ rifles fall apart. Price is not indicative of quality.

If you had watched the video posted, you would understand that this thread is not about prices.

I guess I’m still missing why this is such great concern you would oppose my statement of ‘buy/build what you want and don’t worry about the second owner’. The M&P sport II isn’t likely fooling anyone already on here. I personally like building stuff I’ll likely never buy another manufacturer assembled ar but it’s because I enjoy tinkering. I also enjoy using premium parts where it counts and using second hand or lower end parts where it’s less important. But those are my preferences, and as mentioned before the likelihood one of my blasters will fail from wear is pretty low. Would I trust them defensively? No more and no less than any other weapon I own with equal trigger time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom