Your budget AR is not "just as good"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

perilloux5

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Well said magdump. Some of the people who buy what many call low end ARs will never shoot enough round through them to even think about wearing them out. Not everyone can afford the ammo to wear out any gun. I would rather have a PSA AR than not have one because i cannot afford a extreme high end rife. Buy what works for you.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Do they manufacture their own lowers? I might have missed it but there wasn’t a whole lot of info on the mobile site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like most companies, they have their lower and upper receivers contracted to their specifications from another supplier. I can assure you their receivers are much higher quality than most out there.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Well said magdump. Some of the people who buy what many call low end ARs will never shoot enough round through them to even think about wearing them out. Not everyone can afford the ammo to wear out any gun. I would rather have a PSA AR than not have one because i cannot afford a extreme high end rife. Buy what works for you.

No one is telling you to go buy a top end rifle. Make an informed decision within your budget.

Just don't be foolish enough to think the $300 gun show special is the equivalent to a quality made rifle.

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    You could almost buy a new Glock for the same price that people sell them for used on here and Armslist. I very rarely see a reasonably priced used Glock anywhere. That goes for Sig and several other brands too.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Saw this on Reddit and made me think of this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/gxf4ym/keyholing_so_good_i_saved_the_targets/

20y keyholing from a PSA *just as gud* build. 5.56 7.5in barrel striking the birdcage. Barrel thread was .150 off bore center. Was brought to me to diagnose and fix. Guy didn’t want to spend the $150 to have it cut, crowned and threaded. Replaced birdcage with muzzle protector, or works fine now. He paid me $60 to diagnose it and will pay $60 to swap the barrel when the time comes.

4zwfg0e.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Doesn't surprise me. Given the high volume and batch quality checks of PSA, the problems will start to show up. Thanks to social media, such things can be documented.

learned a ton of good info from watching these. Thanks for posting!

I really enjoy watching the instructor Chad videos. Very informative.

I highly recommend anyone interested in the AR platform to look up School of the American Rifle and watch the videos Chad has provided on YouTube. He is a wealth of information.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Dave M have you ever considered starting a channel? You seem to be a wealth of knowledge too. We need unbiased reviews and information. I took your advice and ordered a Sionics deluxe LPK and the BCM BCG. SOL was out of stock.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Dave M have you ever considered starting a channel? You seem to be a wealth of knowledge too. We need unbiased reviews and information. I took your advice and ordered a Sionics deluxe LPK and the BCM BCG. SOL was out of stock.

I don't know nearly as much as I would like to, and definitely don't know enough to be an authority on AR-15's. I can only speak from my experience and relay information provided by actual experts.

SIONICS makes a great rifle. Their BCG's are well made and I plan to pick up more in the future. I am also a fan of BCM. Both companies will tell you how they make their parts and what materials are used. Transparency is important when buying firearms and parts. A lot of lower end manufacturers will lie to the consumer or feed them BS hoping they don't know any better.

To add to the collection of failures, this is a cheap handguard that is similar in design to the original Midwest Industries handguards that relied on adhesive to hold the handguard on. This handguard obviously didn't have any adhesive or epoxy holding it together.

49989778031_69fc29f2cb_b.jpg

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Why would you put glue or epoxy on a barrel nut to hold on a handguard?

How would you get it off if you wanted to change it?

It seems like a bad design choice unless it was just a friction fit and the nuts underneath loosened up and just needed to be tightened again and maybe have some blue Loctite put on them.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Why would you put glue or epoxy on a barrel nut to hold on a handguard?

How would you get it off if you wanted to change it?

It seems like a bad design choice unless it was just a friction fit and the nuts underneath loosened up and just needed to be tightened again and maybe have some blue Loctite put on them.

Most quality handguards use a crossbolt or a tab that interfaces with the barrel nut to prevent it from sliding forward.

The handguard in the photo is the result of someone copying a bad design.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Any thoughts on Giselle's super duty rifle? Seems to be well thought out... some proprietary materials such as the carpenter 158+ steel for the bolt...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom