Taurus dropped their lifetime warranty

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but I just found out.

Also not sure if this would be the right section to post this, but since Taurus makes handguns and longuns I decided to post here.

Apparently Taurus has dropped the lifetime warranty on guns made after 2017. Post 2017 guns will have a 1yr warranty.

ETA I re-read the info and the 1 yr warranty applies to new models made after Jan 1 2017. So all of their older pre 2017 designs still have the lifetime warranty. So I guess they will continue to discontinue models like the 709 and bring out new models like the g2s. That way they can get most of ther line away from the lifetime warranty.

I only found this out as I recently picked up a used 709 slim from a member and was doing some research on it. I am not generally a Taurus fan but this gun seems to be made well and possesses a "nice" trigger. It is glock-ish, with a light smooth takeup, minimal creep and a short, crisp, audible and tangible reset. So I figured I would keep it.

They have discontinued the 709 and revamped it as the g2s, a single stack lookalike to the g2c, which is a revamped pt111 millennium. I had a few of the pt111 back in my newb days and was generally underwhelmed with the build quality. This 709 is much better in that regard. The look is a bit funky, but size and feel in hand is good, for me. I am going to put a plus 1 extension on one mag and give it a shoot.

A bit more warranty info, after a pre 2017 Taurus design is discontinued the warranty is good for 5 yrs. So not exactly lifetime anyways. In other words, if you bought a Taurus before 2017 and they no longer make that model you have 5yrs of warranty left after the date of discontinuation.

I have heard/read many justify buy a Taurus on the warranty. While it is nice to know the mfg has my back, I usually base my purchases on known quality, thus I hardly ever buy a new design gun. I did once, a ruger sr9. It had a terrible trigger and was quickly recalled for trigger issues. When I got it back the tigger was even worse, and I moved it on. Lesson learned. Ghost came out with a disconnector eventually and I have heard that the newer sr9 models have better triggers. Whatever, it was and is a knock off glock, better than the smith and Wesson sigma/sd9 but not woth the time, IMO.

This direction with the warranty seems like a step back. I have never cared for Taurus clones of other designs, beretta 92 and smith revolvers for example, as they lack the quality of the originals. However their in house design guns are often interesting and unique. I can appreciate a lower cost brand stretching their design dept to innovate. The pt111 was ahead of it's time and much better than the keltec p11. Small double stack carry nines in the 90s were not as popular or plentiful as now. Quality was spotty but from what I have read the newer models inc the g2c are higher quality.

So how do you feel about Taurus dropping the "lifetime" warranty?

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    So I read a bunch more on the Taurus owners forum.

What a s$#t show.

Taurus have reversed the 1yr on a few guns and gone to a limited lifetime warranty for the original purchaser only.

So dont expect to use the warranty if you are not the original purchaser.

I may have all of this wrong. I guess the warranty is not a big deal. The gun was cheap enough I can part.it out if it does not work...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have the 709 and 740 slim and they are both plenty bang for the buck, just like the PT111’s I own. I wound up buying a few of the G2 guns as well for the price and they function fine. I enjoy shooting them. I keep a few parked in gun rugs here and there because why not and ya just never know. So, unless I miscounted in my head, I own 11 Taurus pistols (counting a 25 year old 605 (357 snubby 5 shot) and a little PT-22 and they’ve all been great little guns. The most I paid for any of them is the 605 I bought from Jim’s old store when he actually knew me by name, cost me $229 plus tax. I’ve shot them all, some way more than others. No breakages whatsoever. Maybe I’m just the exception. I have heard a few complaints about them, some from actual Taurus owners.
    Glad to hear they do still honor the warranty in case I ever do have one break. But it wouldn’t be the end of the world if they didn’t.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have the 709 and 740 slim and they are both plenty bang for the buck, just like the PT111’s I own. I wound up buying a few of the G2 guns as well for the price and they function fine. I enjoy shooting them. I keep a few parked in gun rugs here and there because why not and ya just never know. So, unless I miscounted in my head, I own 11 Taurus pistols (counting a 25 year old 605 (357 snubby 5 shot) and a little PT-22 and they’ve all been great little guns. The most I paid for any of them is the 605 I bought from Jim’s old store when he actually knew me by name, cost me $229 plus tax. I’ve shot them all, some way more than others. No breakages whatsoever. Maybe I’m just the exception. I have heard a few complaints about them, some from actual Taurus owners.
    Glad to hear they do still honor the warranty in case I ever do have one break. But it wouldn’t be the end of the world if they didn’t.

I have a 605 that I traded for on here years ago. It was well used when I got it. I've put many rounds through it and it works and is plenty accurate. I carry it over a S&W 642 I also own. It's not worth enough to sell to be honest. It's been a good gun.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Taurus has been hit or miss... Never really know if you have a good one until you know... Really hate it when companies play with their warranties like that.... That reminds me I have a Tracker 44mag with a very loose rear sight blade that would be nice to have fixed....

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Taurus has been hit or miss... Never really know if you have a good one until you know... Really hate it when companies play with their warranties like that.... That reminds me I have a Tracker 44mag with a very loose rear sight blade that would be nice to have fixed....

Hit or miss is correct.

I've seen two brand new Taurus revolvers fail within the first 50 rounds out of the box at a CHP class. The two women who purchased them were less than pleased.

With Taurus opening a new facility, it does not surprise me that they are no longer honoring their warranty. With the volume of guns they receive for warranty work, they had to cut funding somewhere.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Honestly Taurus never had a lifetime warranty in the first place. They required you to ship it to them on your dime no matter how recent you purchased it. They would not send you parts or even let you buy them, and if they shipped it back and it started screwing up again with the same issue or they didn't fix it, you still have to ship it back on your dime.
    I divested myself of all things Taurus years ago, Luckily I was able to fix the revolver I had with a bad mainspring with a piece of quality spring stock from Brownells.
    The material their spring was made of was very soft.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I’d rather just have a quality firearm with no warranty and good parts availability.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    my dad had 2 Taurus issues that involved warranty. their cs is hit or miss like their quality.
    a 709 that cracked the frame from hot ammo was replaced completely.
    a pt1911 that the rear night sight would not tighten down, and only one tube glowed, was informed to contact the sight manufacturer, sight manufacturer bounced back to Taurus.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I was going to buy the new .22LR pistol but this scares me

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    I purchased a scope mount base directly from Taurus for my Trackers a few years ago .
    Took my money , never got part . Called them every 30 days for 3 months , was told it'll be another 30 days .
    4th month I was told they got a shipment in and after everything went to distributers , they didn't have any left and it'd be another 60 days B4 another shipment came in .
    Really ??
    Demanded an immediate refund.
    Purchased a weigand tiny mount and had it installed (required tapping) a week later , completely voiding any warranty , and I could care less. I'd rather pay to have it repaired than deal with that crap again. Took another 90 days to get my refund.
    Also haven't purchased anything from Taurus since then.

offshoremedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    So I read a bunch more on the Taurus owners forum.

What a s$#t show.

Taurus have reversed the 1yr on a few guns and gone to a limited lifetime warranty for the original purchaser only.

So dont expect to use the warranty if you are not the original purchaser.

I may have all of this wrong. I guess the warranty is not a big deal. The gun was cheap enough I can part.it out if it does not work...

I’ve owned and still have a couple older Taurus 85 hammerless 45 millennium pro and never had any issues with them. I picked up a new G2 9mm couple years back with a free roughrider 22 4 inch and I already had a 7 1/2 with both 22/22 mag cylinders. This one has ran great no issue but the original cleaning. I did that putting slide on and didn’t do something correct. The trigger just snapped. I took slide off and right back on and never anymore issues. Taurus isn’t bad for money in my option and all 3 I have are accurate. I had a 357 mag back in 82 the only complaint was powder blow back around cylinder and barrel the 85 never had the issue. I’ve never needed to use warranty on any of them.
    I just got a XDM 4.5 9mm package on Black Friday sell and it’s still hasn’t been fired. The price was great and came with 5 mags and few other things. Late night online purchase.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Well my Tracker 44 has a loose rear sight blade... after taking 3 weeks to respond they said " Give me $60 and we will send a new sight"... Now I am pissed... This is a manufacture defect (it is not a huge looseness but enough to shift POA past 30 yards... Now ALL my Taurus products will be for sale... Who wants a Taurus Tracker 44 and a TX22? (The TX22 is fine I am just pissed at Taurus right now and am swearing off the brand)

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    I think their new raging Hunter line looks badass , I dig big nasty revolvers.
    I just can't bring myself to purchase one. Too many lemons , especially customer service.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom