Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marksman

User Info Menu

So just to keep the thread fresh here is an update.

Last week got to about a 5.3MPH pace but only did 5 minutes before knees started to complain. It was the third day in a row of increasing my speed so think it was too much to fast for my knees. The weight stayed the same but am used to that so not stressing on it yet.

This week should be back to a 2-1-2 routine so I am hoping to get to 5.5MPH by end of the week but will see what the body has to say about that idea.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

I was Cancer Free and released by the Oncologist and told to eat right and stay fit.
    So my goal is to pick up 10 pounds. And Rebuild My Muscle Tone.
    I started to ride my bike once a week as it is a lower impact. And walk to this store when I can.
    So I will stay on that path.
    I was able to put 6 pounds back on. But none since last Monday. Looks like I will hover at and around this weight but the goal is 10 more pounds.
    This was last Monday's weigh-in and was the same today.
    Last edited by 340six; Yesterday at 04:50 AM.

oldbie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

^^^ king cake season is here! Shouldn't take long at all to pick up those pounds!

Starting to work towards a backpacking trip. Recommitting to karate...
    "Be water, my friend..."

Sooooo Cheesy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shrxfn View Post
    So just to keep the thread fresh here is an update.

Last week got to about a 5.3MPH pace but only did 5 minutes before knees started to complain. It was the third day in a row of increasing my speed so think it was too much to fast for my knees. The weight stayed the same but am used to that so not stressing on it yet.

This week should be back to a 2-1-2 routine so I am hoping to get to 5.5MPH by end of the week but will see what the body has to say about that idea.
    Cycling induces rotational forces on the knees and has shown beneficial therapeutic effects.
    Consider it after looking at online studies...
    PSA: run up on me while I'm getting my Beef and Cheddar on and point a gun or gun like object in my face, be prepared to catch some hot ones. -Vanilla Gorilla

Okay, why the hell is there a cock picture in my thread? -JWG223

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Keep it up guys!

I did a 1 mile time-trial run last Friday and had a goal of finishing in under 7 min, 30 seconds. Finished at 7:07. Goal is to hit 6:30 in the next month or so.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Sooooo Cheesy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    Keep it up guys!

I did a 1 mile time-trial run last Friday and had a goal of finishing in under 7 min, 30 seconds. Finished at 7:07. Goal is to hit 6:30 in the next month or so.
    Nice.
    PSA: run up on me while I'm getting my Beef and Cheddar on and point a gun or gun like object in my face, be prepared to catch some hot ones. -Vanilla Gorilla

Okay, why the hell is there a cock picture in my thread? -JWG223

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy Lasagna View Post
    Cycling induces rotational forces on the knees and has shown beneficial therapeutic effects.
    Consider it after looking at online studies...
    I tried the stationary bike after shoulder surgery and I could not get into it. I was really struggling to even reach 10 minutes. I would bike around the house but after seeing how people drive around here in the country I am not sure I want to get sideswiped while riding. Running is alright and when I drop some more weight it will get easier.

I also tried rowing but the machine at the gym is kind of lightweight and the front lifts up every time I do a stroke and to do it low enough so it doesn't I keep hitting my knees so kind of stopped that also. may need to watch more videos on the proper rowing technique.

Also looking at some boxing gloves to hit the heavy bags to vary the aerobic part of my gym workout. Once I lose some more I will also be hitting the pool at the gym which should also be a good workout.

So last night hit 5.4MPH for 20 minutes. It was a little more difficult but was do-able. I will probably up it to 5.5MPH on Thursday.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shrxfn View Post
    I tried the stationary bike after shoulder surgery and I could not get into it. I was really struggling to even reach 10 minutes. I would bike around the house but after seeing how people drive around here in the country I am not sure I want to get sideswiped while riding. Running is alright and when I drop some more weight it will get easier.

I also tried rowing but the machine at the gym is kind of lightweight and the front lifts up every time I do a stroke and to do it low enough so it doesn't I keep hitting my knees so kind of stopped that also. may need to watch more videos on the proper rowing technique.

Also looking at some boxing gloves to hit the heavy bags to vary the aerobic part of my gym workout. Once I lose some more I will also be hitting the pool at the gym which should also be a good workout.

So last night hit 5.4MPH for 20 minutes. It was a little more difficult but was do-able. I will probably up it to 5.5MPH on Thursday.
    Does your rower have a lever on the right (look up Concept 2 rower)? If it does, try adjusting the setting. If you are bringing the front up on a setting of ten, you are rowing too hard and will burn yourself out.

Your row should be very smooth going back. Look up a few Youtube videos on 'proper rowing form.'

Aim for a pace of 2 minutes per every 500 meters and see how long you can maintain that for.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    Does your rower have a lever on the right (look up Concept 2 rower)? If it does, try adjusting the setting. If you are bringing the front up on a setting of ten, you are rowing too hard and will burn yourself out.

Your row should be very smooth going back. Look up a few Youtube videos on 'proper rowing form.'

Aim for a pace of 2 minutes per every 500 meters and see how long you can maintain that for.
    Yeah the rowing machine sucks. the built-in computer is too dim to see when you are on the pull stroke. I will give it a shot though and see what I can do.

So last night I did a fairly sedate pace of 3.1MPH with a 7 incline and got a good amount of calories burned. Going to try and hit 5.5MPH on Thursday as Wednesday is my off day.

So I am going to continue the treadmill and weight lifting until Feb 3rd day after SuperBowl. Hope my guys win!!! Go Niners!!!. On the 3rd I am going to switch to more aerobic and total body workouts like deadlifts, battle ropes, heavy bag and a few other exercises TBD. I am going to focus more on weight loss and work on getting my total daily calories down so I lose weight more efficiently. I think right now with lifting and running I am at odds with what I am doing so I am going to focus on losing and then when I am where I want to be I will start a bulk up phase again to gain back some muscle mass.

Glad to see you are hitting your goals as well Austin.......