2020 Fitness Goals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What are everyone's health and fitness goals for the year?

I'll start! For the next 90 days, I plan to do the following per week:
    Bodyweight workouts weekly:
    Pushups 500
    Situps / Planks 300 / 30 min
    Squats 500
    Lunges 200
    Pistol Squats 60
    Cardio 15 miles / week

Numbers above are totals for the whole week, with the idea of breaking each exercise total up over three or four days. I created a spreadsheet for me to easily track this and keep myself accountable. Any week that I miss the above goals, I'll do 50 penalty burpees per segment missed.

Additionally, my goal is to drop 20 lbs by June 6th, which will get me down to about 9% bodyfat.

I may post in here every few weeks to keep myself even further accountable. Anyone want to jump in and do the same?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    1) Gonna aim to be alcohol free for a year.
    2) Get into cycling.
    3) Drop a few pounds.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    Going to continue from last year. Continue to meal prep eat clean, HIIT 4 days a week for an hour, and BJJ at least 3 days a week. Probably 2 days in gi, 1 Nogi. I'll incorporate some lifting into my HIIT, and game on. think I'll try to go from 285 to 250 this year. I'll also likely incorporate some of Stan Efferding's recipes into my meal prep this year as well. Most notably the Monster Mash, looks like it could be tasty.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    So here we go.

Do a full 30 minutes at a 7mph pace before the end of the year. I am already at a 5MPH pace for 20 minutes and am not really exerting myself so should be doable.
    Get down to 240 this year. I am currently stuck at around 278 but am making some diet and exercise changes to get lower.
    If I can lose the weight quickly I will then go into bulk up phase and try to put some more muscle mass on and try to get to two plates on my bench press.
    Try to complete some pullups. This one will be the hardest one for me as I have had so many shoulder issues that I never really tried to do this before but my goal is to get some pullups added into my routine.

Last but not least I am on the lowest dose of blood pressure meds I can be on but I want to be off them by summer. This will require the gym and trying to lower external stresses in my life as well.

So last year ended on a good note for me. I had my yearly checkup and my cholesterol and A1C were right were they needed to be exactly in the middle of the good zone. No other issues with blood work. Other than slightly high blood pressure all was good and primary doc was happy.

Last edited:

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Nah, exercise is dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    So just to keep the thread fresh here is an update.

Last week got to about a 5.3MPH pace but only did 5 minutes before knees started to complain. It was the third day in a row of increasing my speed so think it was too much to fast for my knees. The weight stayed the same but am used to that so not stressing on it yet.

This week should be back to a 2-1-2 routine so I am hoping to get to 5.5MPH by end of the week but will see what the body has to say about that idea.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I was Cancer Free and released by the Oncologist and told to eat right and stay fit.
    So my goal is to pick up 10 pounds. And Rebuild My Muscle Tone.
    I started to ride my bike once a week as it is a lower impact. And walk to this store when I can.
    So I will stay on that path.
    I was able to put 6 pounds back on. But none since last Monday. Looks like I will hover at and around this weight but the goal is 10 more pounds.
    This was last Monday's weigh-in and was the same today.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^^^ king cake season is here! Shouldn't take long at all to pick up those pounds! :)

Starting to work towards a backpacking trip. Recommitting to karate...

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    So just to keep the thread fresh here is an update.

Last week got to about a 5.3MPH pace but only did 5 minutes before knees started to complain. It was the third day in a row of increasing my speed so think it was too much to fast for my knees. The weight stayed the same but am used to that so not stressing on it yet.

This week should be back to a 2-1-2 routine so I am hoping to get to 5.5MPH by end of the week but will see what the body has to say about that idea.

Cycling induces rotational forces on the knees and has shown beneficial therapeutic effects.
    Consider it after looking at online studies...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Keep it up guys!

I did a 1 mile time-trial run last Friday and had a goal of finishing in under 7 min, 30 seconds. Finished at 7:07. Goal is to hit 6:30 in the next month or so.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Cycling induces rotational forces on the knees and has shown beneficial therapeutic effects.
    Consider it after looking at online studies...

I tried the stationary bike after shoulder surgery and I could not get into it. I was really struggling to even reach 10 minutes. I would bike around the house but after seeing how people drive around here in the country I am not sure I want to get sideswiped while riding. Running is alright and when I drop some more weight it will get easier.

I also tried rowing but the machine at the gym is kind of lightweight and the front lifts up every time I do a stroke and to do it low enough so it doesn't I keep hitting my knees so kind of stopped that also. may need to watch more videos on the proper rowing technique.

Also looking at some boxing gloves to hit the heavy bags to vary the aerobic part of my gym workout. Once I lose some more I will also be hitting the pool at the gym which should also be a good workout.

So last night hit 5.4MPH for 20 minutes. It was a little more difficult but was do-able. I will probably up it to 5.5MPH on Thursday.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I tried the stationary bike after shoulder surgery and I could not get into it. I was really struggling to even reach 10 minutes. I would bike around the house but after seeing how people drive around here in the country I am not sure I want to get sideswiped while riding. Running is alright and when I drop some more weight it will get easier.

I also tried rowing but the machine at the gym is kind of lightweight and the front lifts up every time I do a stroke and to do it low enough so it doesn't I keep hitting my knees so kind of stopped that also. may need to watch more videos on the proper rowing technique.

Also looking at some boxing gloves to hit the heavy bags to vary the aerobic part of my gym workout. Once I lose some more I will also be hitting the pool at the gym which should also be a good workout.

So last night hit 5.4MPH for 20 minutes. It was a little more difficult but was do-able. I will probably up it to 5.5MPH on Thursday.

Does your rower have a lever on the right (look up Concept 2 rower)? If it does, try adjusting the setting. If you are bringing the front up on a setting of ten, you are rowing too hard and will burn yourself out.

Your row should be very smooth going back. Look up a few Youtube videos on 'proper rowing form.'

Aim for a pace of 2 minutes per every 500 meters and see how long you can maintain that for.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Does your rower have a lever on the right (look up Concept 2 rower)? If it does, try adjusting the setting. If you are bringing the front up on a setting of ten, you are rowing too hard and will burn yourself out.

Your row should be very smooth going back. Look up a few Youtube videos on 'proper rowing form.'

Aim for a pace of 2 minutes per every 500 meters and see how long you can maintain that for.

Yeah the rowing machine sucks. the built-in computer is too dim to see when you are on the pull stroke. I will give it a shot though and see what I can do.

So last night I did a fairly sedate pace of 3.1MPH with a 7 incline and got a good amount of calories burned. Going to try and hit 5.5MPH on Thursday as Wednesday is my off day.

So I am going to continue the treadmill and weight lifting until Feb 3rd day after SuperBowl. Hope my guys win!!! Go Niners!!!. On the 3rd I am going to switch to more aerobic and total body workouts like deadlifts, battle ropes, heavy bag and a few other exercises TBD. I am going to focus more on weight loss and work on getting my total daily calories down so I lose weight more efficiently. I think right now with lifting and running I am at odds with what I am doing so I am going to focus on losing and then when I am where I want to be I will start a bulk up phase again to gain back some muscle mass.

Glad to see you are hitting your goals as well Austin.......

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    So in the month of January a made a few changes. I started intermittent fasting, cut out all forms of alcohol, practice portion control at the table, cut out junk food and have started eating cleaner foods.

January 1st I was the heaviest I’ve ever been at 300.6lbs, February 1st I weighed in at 277.7lbs so I’m down 22.9lbs.

In the month of February I will do all of the same PLUS add in some exercise and clean up the meals even more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom