Loaded gun in car illegal in La.?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To each his/her own. My contention is, fumbling around in your pants for your pistol in your vehicle makes no sense to me. Regardless of the odds. After all, most of us will carry these guns EVERYDAY for the rest of our lives, and if we NEVER need to deploy them, that's a win in my book!

First of all, if all of your pistol is in your pants, you may want to consider a different holster. The grip should be sticking out and should be able to be gotten to with relative ease. But if you can't get to it with ease and you find yourself fumbling around, you could always train more and build up muscle memory.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    To each his/her own. My contention is, fumbling around in your pants for your pistol in your vehicle makes no sense to me. Regardless of the odds. After all, most of us will carry these guns EVERYDAY for the rest of our lives, and if we NEVER need to deploy them, that's a win in my book!

There is no fumbling around if the pistol is in the same place that it always is AND you have practiced clearing cover garments and drawing while sitting.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Why are you fumbling around in your pants? My holster remains in the same location the entirety of the time I am carrying a handgun.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    First of all, if all of your pistol is in your pants, you may want to consider a different holster. The grip should be sticking out and should be able to be gotten to with relative ease. But if you can't get to it with ease and you find yourself fumbling around, you could always train more and build up muscle memory.

There is no fumbling around if the pistol is in the same place that it always is AND you have practiced clearing cover garments and drawing while sitting.

Why are you fumbling around in your pants? My holster remains in the same location the entirety of the time I am carrying a handgun.

I love you guys! But, sometimes ya'll make my brain hurt! :hs:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I love you guys! But, sometimes ya'll make my brain hurt! :hs:

Hey, all three of us all said the same thing, yet we all carry vastly different guns and have taken different classes from different people. A /good/ holster will keep your pistol in the same spot all the time, every time. I can draw from my AIWB holster in the dark, in a car, and while moving, with ease (due to lots and lots of practice). There is never a time where my hand has to "go in my pants" where I would "fumble" with anything to attempt to draw. It's always a clean, fluid motion.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Hey, all three of us all said the same thing, yet we all carry vastly different guns and have taken different classes from different people. A /good/ holster will keep your pistol in the same spot all the time, every time. I can draw from my AIWB holster in the dark, in a car, and while moving, with ease (due to lots and lots of practice). There is never a time where my hand has to "go in my pants" where I would "fumble" with anything to attempt to draw. It's always a clean, fluid motion.

Ughhhh! It was a figure of speech with a comical overtone of one playing with oneself whilst down there!

We really need more comedic relief interspersed on BS. We've taken everything way too literally of late. :p

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

I kind of thought you were about to go all ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ on me for a second.

On a Train could you would you on a train? :rofl:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I kind of thought you were about to go all ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ on me for a second.

On a Train could you would you on a train? :rofl:

LMAO

I was trying to drive in a point. But no, if I'm on a train, I'll likely be drinking and wouldn't be carrying. Plus, I'd probably not be in the US of A :P

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ughhhh! It was a figure of speech with a comical overtone of one playing with oneself whilst down there!

We really need more comedic relief interspersed on BS. We've taken everything way too literally of late. :p

The "in your pants" may have been a joke but the "fumble" part wasn't. In fact, that was part of your reason for a vehicle mounted holster. To that end, all of the replies addressed the issue of fumbling for the weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    If a 45 mph hit from the back causes items to fly everywhere, I don't want to ever see what happens when hit from the side or a rollover occurs. There are enough test videos to show why unsecured objects in a vehicle are a bad idea. If you want to use a car holster, put it in a retention holster bolted/screwed to the vehicle, not a nylon pouch.

I can show you pictures from a 45 mph side impact with rollover, not pretty at all.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I can show you pictures from a 45 mph side impact with rollover, not pretty at all.

That's precisely my point.

When people say they leave items unsecured, because they won't get in a crash, I tell them they should just stop wearing a seat belt since they are so confident.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    That's precisely my point.

When people say they leave items unsecured, because they won't get in a crash, I tell them they should just stop wearing a seat belt since they are so confident.

So I own a vehicle, shop for groceries, home repair items, carry tons of crap to my hunting camp weekend after weekend, go racing all over the country and I'm supposed to "practically" secure everything in the cab of my truck ?? I'm sorry we don't have the same lives and it isn't happening. And I would suspect that 99% of vehicle owners don't do it either. I know I have too much $hit but it's my $hit.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    I want to say thanks for the few posts that answered the question which I can relay to my nephews friend.
    I also want to say thanks for the democrat leaning posts that as always show as somebody else knows what is best for me and everybody else. The great thing bout this country is I get to decide what works for me and that I gave 11 years to the US Navy I will not be giving up my right to decide what works for me. But the whole point to this thread was to get an answer to bad info told to a guy I know from a cop. Which I hope none of us cross paths with the guy cuz then we would be arrested for breaking his law.

I fear for our 2nd Amendment rights because as a community there are those that "go for the throat" of those they disagree with, without unity there will be no victory.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So I own a vehicle, shop for groceries, home repair items, carry tons of crap to my hunting camp weekend after weekend, go racing all over the country and I'm supposed to "practically" secure everything in the cab of my truck ?? I'm sorry we don't have the same lives and it isn't happening. And I would suspect that 99% of vehicle owners don't do it either. I know I have too much $hit but it's my $hit.

I don't think you understand the definition of secure.

If you carry tools. Most people have them in a tool box.
    If you have groceries. Most people have them in bags.
    If you transport firearms. Most people have them in a case.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to say thanks for the few posts that answered the question which I can relay to my nephews friend.
    I also want to say thanks for the democrat leaning posts that as always show as somebody else knows what is best for me and everybody else. The great thing bout this country is I get to decide what works for me and that I gave 11 years to the US Navy I will not be giving up my right to decide what works for me. But the whole point to this thread was to get an answer to bad info told to a guy I know from a cop. Which I hope none of us cross paths with the guy cuz then we would be arrested for breaking his law.

I fear for our 2nd Amendment rights because as a community there are those that "go for the throat" of those they disagree with, without unity there will be no victory.

So long as your decisions do not impact others, I don't care what you do.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    My worry comes from flying primarily.
    I have a private pilot’s license and fly small fixed wing airframes.
    It is a security habit to stow or secure all possible loose items primarily to reduce projectile damage.
    I was once in flight and almost became a casualty because of an unsecured case of enfamil I was bringing to a friend (she lived in a remote area in Alaska.)
    Since then I try to net or stow everything, including in my cars.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My worry comes from flying primarily.
    I have a private pilot’s license and fly small fixed wing airframes.
    It is a security habit to stow or secure all possible loose items primarily to reduce projectile damage.
    I was once in flight and almost became a casualty because of an unsecured case of enfamil I was bringing to a friend (she lived in a remote area in Alaska.)
    Since then I try to net or stow everything, including in my cars.

Interestingly enough, I just bought a thing for the back of my SUV that keeps my jumper box/air-pump, tool kit, and first-aid kit tied down and locked to the back seat. It resulted in more storage space and a lower likelihood of any of that stuff becoming a projectile if I get in a bad crash.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Yes sir. Thank you for your service and thank you for your post

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I don't think you understand the definition of secure.

If you carry tools. Most people have them in a tool box.
    If you have groceries. Most people have them in bags.
    If you transport firearms. Most people have them in a case.

- - - Updated - - -

So long as your decisions do not impact others, I don't care what you do.

First of all if you got hit at a dead stop by something going 45mph that would be a very significant crash. Most people don’t realize how slow most cars are going at the point of impact due to braking and other factors. And as far as the tools analogy, being in a tool box is going to hurt just as bad if not worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom