Loaded gun in car illegal in La.?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    A friend of a nephew and I were talking guns at the New Years party. He showed my what his little brother got him for Christmas, which is a magnet that you attach where ever you want. But this one holds the gun by the top of the slide and can be used to rack the slide chambering a round. He told me someone told him a new law made it illegal to have round chambered in a gun in a vehicle so he put it in his truck.
    Is this true? I have been doing a bit of looking and can't find anything on the subject?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It is legal to leave a loaded handgun in your vehicle in Louisiana.

It is extremely stupid, but legal.

Pistol magnet are also stupid. Your car is not a holster.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!

Have to agree on that, car magnets for firearms is not advisable.
    Last thing you’ll want is to have your pistol become a projectile during hard breaking or an accident.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Last thing you’ll want is to have your pistol become a projectile during hard breaking or an accident.

And for anyone that disagrees with this, I have read and seen the photos of what happened to a LEO involved in a vehicle crash where his paddle holster detached from his belt and hit him in the face during a rollover. The best place for a handgun is on your person. If it's not, it should be unloaded and secured in a locked safe inside the vehicle.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    A friend of a nephew and I were talking guns at the New Years party. He showed my what his little brother got him for Christmas, which is a magnet that you attach where ever you want. But this one holds the gun by the top of the slide and can be used to rack the slide chambering a round. He told me someone told him a new law made it illegal to have round chambered in a gun in a vehicle so he put it in his truck.
    Is this true? I have been doing a bit of looking and can't find anything on the subject?

It is illegal on WMA's to be driving around with a loaded firearm....This is nothing new.

Where did the nephew find any metal on the dash or rather under it on a truck unless its an older model?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Correct but it is 100% legal to actively conceal carry a pistol 24/7 on a WMA regardless of season and regulations of hunting (ex bow hunting only) but is illegal to utilize the pistol to take an animal while in a non firearm season

It is illegal on WMA's to be driving around with a loaded firearm....This is nothing new.

Where did the nephew find any metal on the dash or rather under it on a truck unless its an older model?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      115.1 KB · Views: 249
    Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Correct but it is 100% legal to actively conceal carry a pistol 24/7 on a WMA regardless of season and regulations of hunting (ex bow hunting only) but is illegal to utilize the pistol to take an animal while in a non firearm season

Oh yeah, Conceal carry is fairly new on WMA's.

I've heard that the animal had best not have a pistol hole in it during Bow or Primitive

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It is legal to leave a loaded handgun in your vehicle in Louisiana.

It is extremely stupid, but legal.

This.

There's no new law and the friend of a friend was wrong.

Also, the magnets are very dumb as well. Probably one of the worst inventions to come out in the past few years.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    And for anyone that disagrees with this, I have read and seen the photos of what happened to a LEO involved in a vehicle crash where his paddle holster detached from his belt and hit him in the face during a rollover. The best place for a handgun is on your person. If it's not, it should be unloaded and secured in a locked safe inside the vehicle.

If someone sits on their gun, or has it inside their belt, then straps over it with a seat belt, it is useless for immediate deployment. I agree that me having it in my cup holder for years was not the best place for it, but it wasn't the only object inside the cab of my truck that was a potential projectile in a crash. I carry all sorts of things in my truck cab. My I-phone, water bottles, tools, flashlights, padlocks, key rings, and boots for starters; and ammo cans and boxes, boxes of shotgun shells, my rifle, my bow, and all sorts of heavy non-restrained objects during hunting and fishing seasons. If I have to go to the store, I may have several bottles of wine on my back seat, canned drinks or vegetables, frozen foods, etc. Jeez, if I always worried about what was going to hit me in the head when I roll my truck, I'd just stay at home and not drive at all! Christ's sake, that's the beauty of having a truck! To load all kinds of crap in it!

On the point, my pistol isn't going anywhere now that I built my very secure and very awesome cup gun holster; but it's never going to be on my person when I am in my truck! So for me and my pistol, magnets and holsters (on my person), while driving; both suck.

But that's me!

Oh, and some people's lack of knowledge about gun laws here in their own state is astounding. The ol' friend of a friend, eh? :mamoru:

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Jeez, if I always worried about what was going to hit me in the head when I roll my truck, I'd just stay at home and not drive at all!

You're statistically more prone to being involved in a motor vehicle crash than you are to needing a firearm for self defense.

If someone sits on their gun, or has it inside their belt, then straps over it with a seat belt, it is useless for immediate deployment.

The bolded text is simply incorrect.

I'm unsure why anyone would sit on their firearm, but carrying AIWB makes the firearm easily accessible.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I don't like the magnet idea either, but I do keep a pistol in a Gum Creek rig just under my steering wheel. Keeps the pistol very secure and I have no fear of it dislodging and becoming a projectile if I were to get in an accident. In fact, a close friend of mine uses the same setup in a truck just like mine. Two years ago he was run off the road in Covington by a drunk driver. His truck went into the ditch and ended up rolling over three times. Many items in his truck flew all around and ended up spread across the highway. His pistol, in the Gum Creek rig, was still secure and didn't move at all. Which is pretty incredible if you ask me.

Attachments

• IMG_2748.jpg
      IMG_2748.jpg
      228 KB · Views: 195
    • IMG_2749.jpg
      IMG_2749.jpg
      201.8 KB · Views: 202

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I don't like the magnet idea either, but I do keep a pistol in a Gum Creek rig just under my steering wheel. Keeps the pistol very secure and I have no fear of it dislodging and becoming a projectile if I were to get in an accident. In fact, a close friend of mine uses the same setup in a truck just like mine. Two years ago he was run off the road in Covington by a drunk driver. His truck went into the ditch and ended up rolling over three times. Many items in his truck flew all around and ended up spread across the highway. His pistol, in the Gum Creek rig, was still secure and didn't move at all. Which is pretty incredible if you ask me.

Your friend is lucky.

It also doesn't change the fact that carrying off body in a vehicle is a poor choice.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Oh, and some people's lack of knowledge about gun laws here in their own state is astounding. The ol' friend of a friend, eh? :mamoru:

You must be the only one who is up to snuff on every law on the books in the state?

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.

Might just be the WMA thing where the misinformation is coming from. (O and BTW it was 2 people that told this guy bad info, one being a cop
    The magnet is attached with screws next to the ashtray. It is actually a good location for it but I would not and do not use a magnet in a car or truck to hold a pistol. At home to hide one say under a desk or table would work though.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Your friend is lucky.

It also doesn't change the fact that carrying off body in a vehicle is a poor choice.

He is extremely lucky. Walked away with only minor injuries.

Off-body carry in a vehicle being a poor choice is an opinion. And you know what they say about opinions...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    He is extremely lucky. Walked away with only minor injuries.

Off-body carry in a vehicle being a poor choice is an opinion. And you know what they say about opinions...

There are facts that support that particular opinion.

Top Bottom