Loaded gun in car illegal in La.?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Possession of a gun in your vehicle is perfectly legal in Louisiana as the vehicle is considered an extension of your home (As it is worded in LRS 14:95.2: *Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.*)

LOL No.

bef4ef152bb3fee194b2c2d2d8cdaefd.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It was me. I left a firearm in my vehicle due to me rushing to catch an uber. I threw it in the glove box with the intention of removing it the second I got home. Vehicle got broken into and the thief got a loaded gun with a WML. It was a stupid mistake and now because of it some ******* criminal has a weapon that he could use to hurt an innocent family or anyone.

The vehicle was behind a locked floor to ceiling gate in a very nice neighborhood and the guy busted the window, climbed in the back seat, and looked around the car for things he might want. Was in and out in 30 seconds.

Unfortunately, it was a lesson learned that crime can take place at anytime, anywhere, and to always be prepared for it. In this case, prepared means not leaving weapons in a vehicle that can be grabbed by a criminal. These guys know people keep guns under seats, on the door, in the glove boxes, or wedged next to the seat. It's just not worth it for a convenience factor and it certainly is one of the worst options with regards to getting to a firearm in a situation where the need arises.

I wasn't going to call you out for it, but I know you learned from it.

Anyone reading this thread should understand why leaving a firearm in a vehicle unsecured is a bad idea.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    Why are you sitting on it?

Because that's how I carry. It's in a holset sitting right behind my hip. That's what is comfortable for me. And also bc I carry with a polo, and it's less obtrusive carried in that fashion without a jacket.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Possession of a gun in your vehicle is perfectly legal in Louisiana as the vehicle is considered an extension of your home (As it is worded in LRS 14:95.2: *Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.*)

There ya go!!! Preach it brother!!!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Because that's how I carry. It's in a holset sitting right behind my hip. That's what is comfortable for me. And also bc I carry with a polo, and it's less obtrusive carried in that fashion without a jacket.

It seems as though you have identified that your method of carry has many disadvantages.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere

So, no it does not say in the law anything about the vehicle being an extension of your home, but what it does is clearly state it as property just like the home. Enlighten me on how you interpret the law. This comes straight out of almost every class I've ever taken, and each of the concealed classes handbooks I've read. Tell me why it's wrong.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    It seems as though you have identified that your method of carry has many disadvantages.

To each their own brother. I know if I need it exactly the best way to draw it, and fire it. I'm not planning on winning any quick draw contests with my subcompact. But if I need it, I'll have it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So, no it does not say in the law anything about the vehicle being an extension of your home, but what it does is clearly state it as property just like the home. Enlighten me on how you interpret the law. This comes straight out of almost every class I've ever taken, and each of the concealed classes handbooks I've read. Tell me why it's wrong.

There are laws pertaining to firearms that specifically indicate dwellings. LRS 14:95.2 pertains to carrying a firearm on school property, at school functions, or in a firearm free zone. It is not a statute dictating that your vehicle is an extension of your home and that your vehicle now plays by the same rules.

§95.2. Carrying a firearm or dangerous weapon by a student or nonstudent on school property, at school-sponsored functions, or in a firearm-free zone

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    To add, if you choose not to believe anyone here, consult with an attorney. Please don't take quotes from Louisiana Sportsman as gospel on Louisiana legislation.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I'll elaborate on Dave's behalf. While it may be legal to keep a loaded firearm in a vehicle, off-body, it's not the smartest or safest option. A firearm stashed somewhere in a vehicle will be harder to access both in general and under stress than when carried on one's person.

As for "keeping" a gun in a vehicle, it's an incredibly poor choice with the high rate of vehicle break-ins. A gun stored or left in a vehicle, whether intentionally or not, is a potential firearm that can end up in the hands of a criminal who will likely use it to harm others.

It's no one's business how anyone carries, but we can all do our part to help others make better smarter decisions. Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to attend courses with competent instructors. There's an old saying that you simply don't know what you don't know, and that's something that really holds true with firearms ownership, laws, and best practices. Many people rely on what they have been told by less-competent instructors, un-informed police officers, or friends/family who are passing down information that their grandfathers told them. We can all strive to be better and do better, constantly.

I’m glad you brought the instructor thing up. What makes someone an informed instructor? Is it a resume, word of mouth, because the internet says so? I know a few instructors that are loved and viewed as competent but are disregarded by people I know with actual combat/deadly force encounter knowledge. I recently did a little research on a few big name instructors only to learn that they are professional trainers with no real world experience. I want to hear from someone that has actually had to use the lessons in the real world. I have no problem with learning the fundamentals of shooting to hone a skill but find it comical when people go to a few big name classes, and now they are a hardened warfighter, preaching to people who have actual experience. I’ll take advice from Jim Cirrilo over Chris Costa any day. Sorry for the rant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sorry for the rant

Don't be sorry. It needs to be said. People want flashy entertainment. Pat Rogers called in edutainment. It was more entertainment than education.

I don't take legal advice from someone who is not an attorney and only knows how to repeat the NRA course outline.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

There is no law in the state of Louisiana that defines a vehicle as being an extension of your home. Anyone who has taught that in a class is wrong. Unfortunately, the "extension of your home" thing has been passed down for many years and has made its way into instructors' classes and the materials that they develop.

It is wrong because it is untrue. There is no more to it than that.

Your home affords many legal protections (such as not being searched without a warrant, in most cases) that your vehicle does not possess. Other examples are that you can sit anywhere in your home and drink, whereas you cannot sit in the driver seat of your vehicle and drink.

Another example is "Post Office Property." It is technically illegal for you to have a firearm in your car while you are parked in front of a post office. Will this ever be enforced...probably not. But it doesn't change the fact.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Dave--that is sort of an insulting and broad statement. Would you care to elaborate?
    It is perfectly legal to have a loaded gun in one's vehicle in the state of Louisiana, unless the place you are visiting has stipulations against it--such as many chemical plants. Then you have to respect their restrictions.
    But I am curious as to why you think it would be "stupid" to keep your gun loaded in your vehicle? Doesn't seem as if it would do you much good if it were unloaded. Give these folks the benefit of the doubt that they will carry loaded in their vehicle in a safe, secure manner. Besides, it ain't none of your business how they carry.

As a Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit instructor, do you teach that leaving a loaded firearm in your vehicle unsecured is a good idea?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    There is literally an automobile exception to the search warrant requirement in the 4th amendment and people still be like “mUh VeHiClE iS aN eXtEnSiOn oF My HoMe”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    To add, if you choose not to believe anyone here, consult with an attorney. Please don't take quotes from Louisiana Sportsman as gospel on Louisiana legislation.

So, you are correct in what your saying, but your not right. Dude, you just argue to argue. We are talking about how it affects the use of a firearm. The use of a firearm is exactly the same in a vehicle, as it is in your home. Or any other dwelling if you want to get super technical. I don't care about what the drinking and driving laws are, or what the consent laws are. That's irrelevant. We are talking about what it has to do with firearms. Read the law. The use of deadly force is acceptable in any case. The reason why they say it is an extension of your home is bc the law is the same when protecting your property. It's in black and white. You can pick it apart and come up with many scenarios where it may not exactly match up to what your perception is, but there is no doubting what the law says. I'll quote any thing I want. And it's right. The statute is the statute. Castle laws, stand your ground, all the same home or auto. You can perceive it however you want. I see other guys saying consult an attorney....whatever guys. When it comes to a firearm, you can utilize the firearm to defend your property exactly the same way with your home or auto. Prove me wrong instead of pulling up your opinion or your interpretaion of the law. Someone.
    [FONT=&quot]Universal Citation: [/FONT]LA Rev Stat § 14:20 Castle laws, stand your ground, whatever you want to call it. It's universal for property. I'm not going to argue with you any more. Every time I post on here it's you arguing. That's not fun to me. It's pretty much all one big arguement from what I see. I'm a guy that loves to hunt, loves to shoot, and I follow the law. I don't know it all, but I'll be damned if I'll sit back and let some know it all tell me I"m wrong every time I post something. Wouldn't it suit you better to help people than attempt to make yourself look your some type of gun guru? How do people put up with your **** on here?

Top Bottom