Loaded gun in car illegal in La.?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    First of all if you got hit at a dead stop by something going 45mph that would be a very significant crash. Most people don’t realize how slow most cars are going at the point of impact due to braking and other factors. And as far as the tools analogy, being in a tool box is going to hurt just as bad if not worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have no reason to lie about it.

A tool box isn't really going anywhere when it's bolted to the bed of the truck.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I have no reason to lie about it.

A tool box isn't really going anywhere when it's bolted to the bed of the truck.

Not saying your lying, I’m saying you probably just don’t know any better. I find it hard to believe an accident reconstruction was done on this incident. Correct?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    My worry comes from flying primarily.
    I have a private pilot’s license and fly small fixed wing airframes.
    It is a security habit to stow or secure all possible loose items primarily to reduce projectile damage.
    I was once in flight and almost became a casualty because of an unsecured case of enfamil I was bringing to a friend (she lived in a remote area in Alaska.)
    Since then I try to net or stow everything, including in my cars.

I can verify some of that

Once we were flying grocery's offshore and had stored several watermelons on the back passenger floorboard.

The pilot had gotten up to about 1000ft when we started smelling watermelon.

Looked down after feeling my leg getting wet.

Dad-gum melons were spraying juice out like a dog on a fire-hydrant.

Called the pilot on the PA and informed him the melons were coming apart.

He then dropped down to 500ft to stop the spraying.

I smelled good for the rest of the day !

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Not saying your lying, I’m saying you probably just don’t know any better. I find it hard to believe an accident reconstruction was done on this incident. Correct?

Correct, and yes, there is a possibility it was less. I won't claim it was 45 mph exactly. I'm not an expert on collisions and can only offer what I've experienced. Unlike the other member here, I wasn't thrown from a vehicle, thankfully.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I don't think you understand the definition of secure.

If you carry tools. Most people have them in a tool box.
    If you have groceries. Most people have them in bags.
    If you transport firearms. Most people have them in a case.

- - - Updated - - -

So long as your decisions do not impact others, I don't care what you do.

So that plastic bag you get from the grocery is your definition of secure ?? :rofl::rofl:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So that plastic bag you get from the grocery is your definition of secure ?? :rofl::rofl:

Wait, you don't bring your own tactical bag to the grocery store? Molle webbing to attach all of your steaks? Heavy-duty velcro to attach to your tactical seat covers?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Attachments

• big like.jpg
      big like.jpg
      7 KB · Views: 82

Crome10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2020
    Luling, LA
    I am new to this website and forum, and I just wanted to say that reading this thread was both informative and entertaining. I appreciate the different opinions and points of view about keeping a firearm in my vehicle. Thanks guys.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I used to put mine in the door pocket because it could get uncomfortable at times (AIWB hybrid holster). When I was in my accident it ended up in the highway along with everything else in the truck (except for me). The officer handed it to me just before they put me in the ambulance. I'm glad he found it and gave it to me before I left the scene, I never recovered quite a few other items that were scattered in the road. I now leave it in my waste band where it belongs, I doubt a magnet would have held it during the wreck.

He gave you your firearm in the ambulance and sent you to the ER with it? The EMTs/ER staff must have LOVED that!

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    He gave you your firearm in the ambulance and sent you to the ER with it? The EMTs/ER staff must have LOVED that!

Small town environment. I knew the officer personally, and the sheriff that was a few feet away also. The EMT didn't seem concerned in the least, I did make him aware that I had a permit. I handed it off to my wife when she arrived on scene, so I didn't have it in the ER. I'm sure I would have had a different experience in a bigger city, like University Hospital in New Orleans where I ended up.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am new to this website and forum, and I just wanted to say that reading this thread was both informative and entertaining. I appreciate the different opinions and points of view about keeping a firearm in my vehicle. Thanks guys.

Hold on der, Bucko! Jus don't go round y'ere thinking for yourself! Them thar is fitin words!

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Small town environment. I knew the officer personally, and the sheriff that was a few feet away also. The EMT didn't seem concerned in the least, I did make him aware that I had a permit. I handed it off to my wife when she arrived on scene, so I didn't have it in the ER. I'm sure I would have had a different experience in a bigger city, like University Hospital in New Orleans where I ended up.

Shoot man, I know at least 6 EMT's, Went to cc class with two lasses.
    Of the 6. 5 pack more heat than I do when not on duty.
    The 6th lasse is Gayee, About 5'10 and in the queen size +
    Area, Danged if I would cross any of em

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

I got hit head on by a stolen vehicle at work years ago. I was in a marked unit and in full uniform and EMS refused to transport me with my gun. I was obviously injured but after a long argument a fellow officer rode with me so he could hold my gun but have it in the ambulance. I was refusing to go anywhere in uniform without being armed.

And while we are on the subject of medical care. Here is a funny story:

I was broad sided by a camaro while on my motorcycle at work. The crash caused my ankle to be broken in several places and for me to be knocked unconscious. Due to the previous experience I refused to call ems and had a patrol unit take me to a medical facility (name withheld on purpose). In this facility I wasn’t given a wheel chair to go between X-ray and my room and was made to hop while having an obvious ankle Injury. When my wife arrived(she’s a nurse) she saw me hopping around and commented on not having a wheel chair. A nurse eventually came in and asked if I remembered her, I told her no and she began explaining that I had written her a red light ticket a while back. Needless to say after the wife was done losing her mind the situation was remedied. The funny thing is I didn’t write the ticket.

Top Bottom