Loaded gun in car illegal in La.?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Just curious, what would make you bail from your vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think bailing isn't the right term/mindset. The idea of carrying on person while driving is that usually, you drive to go somewhere. Often the trip is short. It's not smart to leave the gun in the vehicle when you get to wherever "somewhere" is. Plus, most of us who carry would rather have the firearm accessible when at "somewhere" than have to go into the vehicle to use it. Having it stowed in the car makes it harder to get to, while in the car, and leads to unnecessary handling of the firearm.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I think bailing isn't the right term/mindset. The idea of carrying on person while driving is that usually, you drive to go somewhere. Often the trip is short. It's not smart to leave the gun in the vehicle when you get to wherever "somewhere" is. Plus, most of us who carry would rather have the firearm accessible when at "somewhere" than have to go into the vehicle to use it. Having it stowed in the car makes it harder to get to, while in the car, and leads to unnecessary handling of the firearm.

So having a firearm in a holster and placing it in your waist band is too much for some CCW holders? I hope not. I simply slip it in my waistband and go about my business.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So having a firearm in a holster and placing it in your waist band is too much for some CCW holders? I hope not. I simply slip it in my waistband and go about my business.

It's better than leaving it in the car, but not ideal. Why not keep it on your person while driving, though? It would require less manipulation of the firearm and is one less thing to remember. Plus, if the holster has a tough retention on your belt, its kind of a pain in the ass to take it off and on, repeatedly.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Never saw one attached to a magnet but some had handguns and long guns in the vehicle. Here is a picture of a car that crashed during a pursuit. None of these were secured and no injuries from any firearms. If it’s that common for injuries from flying firearms, I guess these 2 guys should play the lottery.
    d4c492c78cb13c36714f77c577036f2d.jpg

Loose objects in general are ill-advised.

The EBRSO deputy that got hit in the face with his own gun wasn’t so lucky.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It's better than leaving it in the car, but not ideal. Why not keep it on your person while driving, though? It would require less manipulation of the firearm and is one less thing to remember. Plus, if the holster has a tough retention on your belt, its kind of a pain in the ass to take it off and on, repeatedly.

I’m not leaving it in the car and I’m not worried about handling it. It’s easier to get to and more convenient to keep it in the cup holder where my hand naturally rests while driving. I get the tough retention but I don’t buy concealed holsters I can’t easily remove unless they are OWB. What is good for me is not good for everyone, I get that. And once again, having that chunk of polymer and steel between my seatbelt and organs is not gonna fair well in a major crash. Just my opinion though. I’m sure I can get an expert opinion on the risks of injury though from a few people I know.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Loose objects in general are ill-advised.

The EBRSO deputy that got hit in the face with his own gun wasn’t so lucky.

Correct. I’m sure there were tons of other objects he had in the vehicle that were flying around. I think the odds are very low that you will be injured from your handgun. It also would depend a lot on the type of crash. I’ve seen people with facial injuries from airbags and one fatality from the recalled airbags. Point being there are many things at play during a crash, I’m least worried about my Glock in the cup holder.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I’m not leaving it in the car and I’m not worried about handling it. It’s easier to get to and more convenient to keep it in the cup holder where my hand naturally rests while driving. I get the tough retention but I don’t buy concealed holsters I can’t easily remove unless they are OWB. What is good for me is not good for everyone, I get that. And once again, having that chunk of polymer and steel between my seatbelt and organs is not gonna fair well in a major crash. Just my opinion though. I’m sure I can get an expert opinion on the risks of injury though from a few people I know.

I have to agree with not putting hard objects between my soft squishy center and a harness of any type I wear safety harnesses from time to time climbing trees and have anything in your pockets is ill advised if you plan on ever relying on that harness. Now if I multiplied the force of my weight by the speed of an automobile crash I could imagine the damage that could be done.

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    I used to put mine in the door pocket because it could get uncomfortable at times (AIWB hybrid holster). When I was in my accident it ended up in the highway along with everything else in the truck (except for me). The officer handed it to me just before they put me in the ambulance. I'm glad he found it and gave it to me before I left the scene, I never recovered quite a few other items that were scattered in the road. I now leave it in my waste band where it belongs, I doubt a magnet would have held it during the wreck.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I used to put mine in the door pocket because it could get uncomfortable at times (AIWB hybrid holster). When I was in my accident it ended up in the highway along with everything else in the truck (except for me). The officer handed it to me just before they put me in the ambulance. I'm glad he found it and gave it to me before I left the scene, I never recovered quite a few other items that were scattered in the road. I now leave it in my waste band where it belongs, I doubt a magnet would have held it during the wreck.

This is likely a duh question but...

Did you suffer any injuries from the seatbelt?
    broke ribs, sternum, clavicle?

I wear my gun in the truck I carry strong side and it typically doesn’t interfere with the belt on either side of the vehicle. I suppose there is a potential risk to my hip region but I feel better about it than loose in the truck or in the appendix where it could cause damage to internal organs.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Correct but it is 100% legal to actively conceal carry a pistol 24/7 on a WMA regardless of season and regulations of hunting (ex bow hunting only) but is illegal to utilize the pistol to take an animal while in a non firearm season
    Just to further clarify this, you can posses a firearm on WMA, and don't have to actually conceal it to be in compliance. Law just says posses.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If it’s legal for a person to own a gun in Louisiana, it’s legal for them to keep a loaded gun in their car. All other laws regarding having a firearm apply of course.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I wear my gun in the truck I carry strong side and it typically doesn’t interfere with the belt on either side of the vehicle. I suppose there is a potential risk to my hip region but I feel better about it than loose in the truck or in the appendix where it could cause damage to internal organs.

When I was involved in a crash carrying a G17 AIWB, I had some redness where the belt was at, but the holster didn't cause any issues. The biggest thing to note is for AIWB carriers they should NOT put their belt behind the holster, because this places the lap belt above the hips and can cause severe injuries.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    When I was involved in a crash carrying a G17 AIWB, I had some redness where the belt was at, but the holster didn't cause any issues. The biggest thing to note is for AIWB carriers they should NOT put their belt behind the holster, because this places the lap belt above the hips and can cause severe injuries.

Can you tell us a little about the accident? I mean it could be a fender-bender or you could have shut down the highway.

You do bring up a good point though nothing should interfere with where the seat belt is positioned. Particularly the lap belt.

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA

I wasn't wearing my seatbelt at the time, hard lesson learned. I had emergency surgery to repair a fractured C6 and multiple complex fractures of C7. I now have 2 titanium rods and 6 screws that fuse my spine in the lower neck. I'm now back to work and functioning as normal.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Never saw one attached to a magnet but some had handguns and long guns in the vehicle. Here is a picture of a car that crashed during a pursuit. None of these were secured and no injuries from any firearms. If it’s that common for injuries from flying firearms, I guess these 2 guys should play the lottery.
    d4c492c78cb13c36714f77c577036f2d.jpg

Im fairly certain that this was a car full of democrats that dindu nuffins. Am I right? They coulda used dem strong magnets, bruh.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Can you tell us a little about the accident? I mean it could be a fender-bender or you could have shut down the highway.

You do bring up a good point though nothing should interfere with where the seat belt is positioned. Particularly the lap belt.

4th or 5th in line at a red light, foot on the brake at a complete stop. Light turned green, but the first vehicle was a Class A RV taking its time. No one behind me except for the CUV traveling 45+ mph that didn't stop. Sent my vehicle into the truck in front of me, the CUV was totaled. My wife in the passenger seat had some minor injuries, but I was okay. I saw the CUV refusing to slow down and let go of the steering wheel at the last second. My phone was in the front cubby/cup holder area and ended up on the back seat.

If a 45 mph hit from the back causes items to fly everywhere, I don't want to ever see what happens when hit from the side or a rollover occurs. There are enough test videos to show why unsecured objects in a vehicle are a bad idea. If you want to use a car holster, put it in a retention holster bolted/screwed to the vehicle, not a nylon pouch.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    My IWB holsters all have pull the dot soft loops so putting a holster on and of in a car sucks. I’m normally not in a car for more than a few minutes at a time so I stay armed.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You're statistically more prone to being involved in a motor vehicle crash than you are to needing a firearm for self defense.

Exactly! So why worry about a cup holster, holstered gun hitting me in the head with all the regular daily objects I know I carry in my truck cab, and many others may carry in theirs?

The bolded text is simply incorrect.

I'm unsure why anyone would sit on their firearm, but carrying AIWB makes the firearm easily accessible.

To each his/her own. My contention is, fumbling around in your pants for your pistol in your vehicle makes no sense to me. Regardless of the odds. After all, most of us will carry these guns EVERYDAY for the rest of our lives, and if we NEVER need to deploy them, that's a win in my book!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My gun is usually in my cup holder in a kydex IWB holster when I’m in my personal vehicle. Poor choice? Maybe , but it works for me.

You Heretic! :p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom