Loaded gun in car illegal in La.?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Cringe...what is that thing where you can’t stop looking at the freakish spectacle, like no matter how bad you wanna walk away you just can’t stop gawking? This thread.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I can always pull out the ol' diversionary topic tactical glue trap...with maybe a glitter bomb or two? I've still never carried through on a glitter bombing.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Cringe...what is that thing where you can’t stop looking at the freakish spectacle, like no matter how bad you wanna walk away you just can’t stop gawking? This thread.

Rubbernecking is the term I believe you’re looking for.
    Perhaps we can call this, *Bayounecking.*

Or maybe it’s just a plain old dumpster fire...

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    Yeah I've been reading this thread quietly, waiting for the real answer to the original question. I think I saw the answer maybe...it all kinda turned into a pissing match though. We are all still on the same team ya???

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yeah I've been reading this thread quietly, waiting for the real answer to the original question. I think I saw the answer maybe...it all kinda turned into a pissing match though. We are all still on the same team ya???

The answer is in the first sentence of the first reply. The rest is lagniappe.

But to recap this thread:

• Yes it is legal to leave a loaded firearm in your vehicle in Louisiana, where permitted. Prohibited locations include Federal property.
    • Carrying off body has disadvantages.
    • Firearms can easily be stolen if unsecured.
    • Your car is not an extension of your home, contrary to popular belief.
    • You're not a CHP instructor unless you have the official shirt.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La

• Yes it is legal to leave a loaded firearm in your vehicle in Louisiana, where permitted. Prohibited locations include Federal property.

That's what I ended up going with. Damn, I gotta get one of those shirts.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If I may, I took the liberty of amending this to address a broader audience.

Yes it is legal to leave a loaded firearm in your vehicle in Louisiana, where permitted; but an unloaded self defense gun in your car seems silly to many. Prohibited locations include Federal property.
    Carrying off body has disadvantages; but so does on-body in certain situations; like sitting on your gun in a car (particularly behind the wheel), with a seat belt on.
    Firearms can easily be stolen if unsecured; but some people have secure places to park their vehicles too, where theft of their firearm is unlikely.
    Your car is not an extension of your home, contrary to popular belief; but until EVERYONE in the gun community finally understand this, sadly..........
    You're not a CHP instructor unless you have the official shirt; and we needed some comedic relief in this thread, so this is appropriate!

You all are welcome! :p

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    but an unloaded self defense gun in your car seems silly to many.

Outside of transportation, I would agree.

but so does on-body in certain situations; like sitting on your gun in a car (particularly behind the wheel), with a seat belt on.

I have to ask again, why are you sitting on your gun?

but some people have secure places to park their vehicles too, where theft of their firearm is unlikely.

Out of sight. Out of mind. Yet still unsecured. That's a risk you have to be willing to take. For Austin, it didn't fare well.

but until EVERYONE in the gun community finally understand this, sadly..........

People ask why some argue to no end and the answer is because there are still a lot of ignorant people out there reading bad information.

There are currently 11 users looking at this thread and only 4 are members. Take it for what it's worth.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    I have to ask again, why are you sitting on your gun?

Not everyone is shapely enough to Appendix carry comfortably sitting down. To draw from @3:30-4 makes you have to navigate the seat belt connector. If you are small of back carry, you are literally sitting on it. I haven't heard anyone mention a shoulder rig, which is more plausible in a vehicle on person. What are your thoughts Dave?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Not everyone is shapely enough to Appendix carry comfortably sitting down. To draw from @3:30-4 makes you have to navigate the seat belt connector. If you are small of back carry, you are literally sitting on it. I haven't heard anyone mention a shoulder rig, which is more plausible in a vehicle on person. What are your thoughts Dave?
    • I wouldn't consider navigating the seat belt buckle to be a reason to carry off-body. I see it as a reason to train to navigate the seat belt buckle.
    • I would never recommend small of back carry. There are many reasons, but the Texas church shooting is a shining example of why I don't care for them.
    • Since you haven't seen anyone mention shoulder holsters, I would call that a clue.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

You forgot one:

• An unsecured weapon in vehicle becomes a dangerous guided missile in a crash while any other unsecured items in that vehicle will safely be deflected by the driver's personal force field.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    • I wouldn't consider navigating the seat belt buckle to be a reason to carry off-body. I see it as a reason to train to navigate the seat belt buckle.
    • I would never recommend small of back carry. There are many reasons, but the Texas church shooting is a shining example of why I don't care for them.
    • Since you haven't seen anyone mention shoulder holsters, I would call that a clue.

I take that as not many people actually using one often, but unlike many here I hate to assume to much. There will always be that one ******* who calls you out for it you know, "The One"?

Generally I do my best to not make a thing personally about me or any one else, but what works for you, may not work for everyone else. There are many types and shapes of people. I am 6'3, 285 lbs, my outside shoulder measurement is +72" My shoulders are wider than most seat backs, and my arms are as big as most peoples legs. Being built like a Defensive End, my whole life, I have always had to adapt a way of doing things that may be a bit different than everyone else. Especially in confined space. That knowledge has helped me in the way that I approach things, and made me a better Manager/Teacher at work, and in every other aspect of my learning or passing of knowledge.

Having said all that, I'll keep my gun in my holster between the seats where I know it is easily accessible for a person of my frame, and continue to teach to others, that they should do what suits them best as long as it is done in a safe, and reliable manner. The end result is much better then just calling folks stupid.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You forgot one:

• An unsecured weapon in vehicle becomes a dangerous guided missile in a crash while any other unsecured items in that vehicle will safely be deflected by the driver's personal force field.

I was under the impression that nothing becomes dangerous, because no one plans on getting into an accident.

I take that as not many people actually using one often, but unlike many here I hate to assume to much. There will always be that one ******* who calls you out for it you know, "The One"?

I'm not following. You will have to break it down for me in crayon. I'm not an NRA/CHP instructor.

Top Bottom