Loaded gun in car illegal in La.?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I got hit head on by a stolen vehicle at work years ago. I was in a marked unit and in full uniform and EMS refused to transport me with my gun. I was obviously injured but after a long argument a fellow officer rode with me so he could hold my gun but have it in the ambulance. I was refusing to go anywhere in uniform without being armed.

And while we are on the subject of medical care. Here is a funny story:

I was broad sided by a camaro while on my motorcycle at work. The crash caused my ankle to be broken in several places and for me to be knocked unconscious. Due to the previous experience I refused to call ems and had a patrol unit take me to a medical facility (name withheld on purpose). In this facility I wasn’t given a wheel chair to go between X-ray and my room and was made to hop while having an obvious ankle Injury. When my wife arrived(she’s a nurse) she saw me hopping around and commented on not having a wheel chair. A nurse eventually came in and asked if I remembered her, I told her no and she began explaining that I had written her a red light ticket a while back. Needless to say after the wife was done losing her mind the situation was remedied. The funny thing is I didn’t write the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's right,Part of the nurses creed man.

Hey man,You gave me a ticket back in 97' !!!

Or as your writing the ticket,

Nurse, One day I will be-taking care of you!

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    And while we are on the subject of medical care.

I was on my way to work, only 4 miles from home, when the oncoming driver fell asleep (so he claims) and decided he wanted my lane. I swerved to avoid the head on collision and he drove under me and caused the rollover (my rear tire climbed his hood). I often wonder if I would have made out better hitting him head on.

My experience from the officers & EMT on scene, to the local ER staff, all the way to the trauma center & surgeons at University hospital was incredible in my case. Many thanks to all in public service, my hats off to all of them!!

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I got hit head on by a stolen vehicle at work years ago. I was in a marked unit and in full uniform and EMS refused to transport me with my gun. I was obviously injured but after a long argument a fellow officer rode with me so he could hold my gun but have it in the ambulance. I was refusing to go anywhere in uniform without being armed.

And while we are on the subject of medical care. Here is a funny story:

I was broad sided by a camaro while on my motorcycle at work. The crash caused my ankle to be broken in several places and for me to be knocked unconscious. Due to the previous experience I refused to call ems and had a patrol unit take me to a medical facility (name withheld on purpose). In this facility I wasn’t given a wheel chair to go between X-ray and my room and was made to hop while having an obvious ankle Injury. When my wife arrived(she’s a nurse) she saw me hopping around and commented on not having a wheel chair. A nurse eventually came in and asked if I remembered her, I told her no and she began explaining that I had written her a red light ticket a while back. Needless to say after the wife was done losing her mind the situation was remedied. The funny thing is I didn’t write the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damn bro on behalf of everyone who you may or may not have ticketed sorry bro that’s bull$hit. I just can’t see treating someone like that. That’s next level $hitbird stuff.

alecgreen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    It's legal to carry a loaded weapon and or have a loaded weapon in your vehicle. Car or truck doesnt matter, a vehicle is a vehicle. In Louisiana a vehicle is an extension of your home thereby the rights you have in your home you should have in your vehicle. But most importantly in Louisiana we have the right to open carry firearms. The law does NOT stipulate that the gun may not be loaded. Who would carry an unloaded gun anyway. Kind of defeats the purpose, but that's the law they have in California. Good thing we live in Louisiana.

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    My holster with a strap is bolted to my seat frame underneath and isn't at all visible without putting an ear on the dirty ass floor or taking the seat completely out. I don't ccw so it stays in the vehicle.

My truck is probably as crashable as a samurai or tracker. The last thing I worry about is my gun smacking the back of my leg.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It's legal to carry a loaded weapon and or have a loaded weapon in your vehicle. Car or truck doesnt matter, a vehicle is a vehicle. In Louisiana a vehicle is an extension of your home thereby the rights you have in your home you should have in your vehicle. But most importantly in Louisiana we have the right to open carry firearms. The law does NOT stipulate that the gun may not be loaded. Who would carry an unloaded gun anyway. Kind of defeats the purpose, but that's the law they have in California. Good thing we live in Louisiana.

Everything in the above quote is true except for the bolded part, which is not only false, it's bad advice. The "extension of your home" thing is a misnomer that has been circulating for years.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well, at least we made it 15 days into the new year before it got mentioned. Is that a new record?

It's gotta be a record. But it's like Thanos. Inevitable.

c09.jpg

Gordon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Why is it "stupid" to have a loaded gun in the car?

It is legal to leave a loaded handgun in your vehicle in Louisiana.

It is extremely stupid, but legal.

Pistol magnet are also stupid. Your car is not a holster.

Dave--that is sort of an insulting and broad statement. Would you care to elaborate?
    It is perfectly legal to have a loaded gun in one's vehicle in the state of Louisiana, unless the place you are visiting has stipulations against it--such as many chemical plants. Then you have to respect their restrictions.
    But I am curious as to why you think it would be "stupid" to keep your gun loaded in your vehicle? Doesn't seem as if it would do you much good if it were unloaded. Give these folks the benefit of the doubt that they will carry loaded in their vehicle in a safe, secure manner. Besides, it ain't none of your business how they carry.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Dave--that is sort of an insulting and broad statement. Would you care to elaborate?
    It is perfectly legal to have a loaded gun in one's vehicle in the state of Louisiana, unless the place you are visiting has stipulations against it--such as many chemical plants. Then you have to respect their restrictions.
    But I am curious as to why you think it would be "stupid" to keep your gun loaded in your vehicle? Doesn't seem as if it would do you much good if it were unloaded. Give these folks the benefit of the doubt that they will carry loaded in their vehicle in a safe, secure manner. Besides, it ain't none of your business how they carry.

I'll elaborate on Dave's behalf. While it may be legal to keep a loaded firearm in a vehicle, off-body, it's not the smartest or safest option. A firearm stashed somewhere in a vehicle will be harder to access both in general and under stress than when carried on one's person.

As for "keeping" a gun in a vehicle, it's an incredibly poor choice with the high rate of vehicle break-ins. A gun stored or left in a vehicle, whether intentionally or not, is a potential firearm that can end up in the hands of a criminal who will likely use it to harm others.

It's no one's business how anyone carries, but we can all do our part to help others make better smarter decisions. Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to attend courses with competent instructors. There's an old saying that you simply don't know what you don't know, and that's something that really holds true with firearms ownership, laws, and best practices. Many people rely on what they have been told by less-competent instructors, un-informed police officers, or friends/family who are passing down information that their grandfathers told them. We can all strive to be better and do better, constantly.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Are you implying that leaving a loaded firearm unattended and unsecured in a vehicle is a good idea?

I am not going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt that will carry the firearm in a locked safe secured to the vehicle, because those who do so freely admit they do. A firearm magnet is not secured.

Just because something is legal, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    Yeh, it's definitely not illegal to have a loaded weapon in your automobile in Louisiana, unless you can not legally have a firearm in your possession. Extension of your home is the law. And you can pretty much store it wherever you like. I have a concealed carry. I usually do carry mine on me everywhere. Sometimes I stick it in my door if I'm on a longer than normal trip and it's more comfortable for me to take it off and ride. As for the magnet holster type of mounts....I like em. I do not ride around in my truck worrying about getting into an accident and my firearm hitting me in the head. That's kinda like hopping on a plane and worrying about crashing. The odds are actually against you. And realistically, I'd much rather get in the head with my own firearm in a crash than need my weapon and not be able to pull it out and have it useful bc I'm sitting on it. The odds of any of those things happening are so far fetched that imo it's almost ridiculous to debate any of it. That's my two cents!!

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    Are you implying that leaving a loaded firearm unattended and unsecured in a vehicle is a good idea?

I am not going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt that will carry the firearm in a locked safe secured to the vehicle, because those who do so freely admit they do. A firearm magnet is not secured.

Just because something is legal, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Wouldn't you think most people remove their loaded firearm when they leave their vehicle? My experience that most individuals who go through the trouble of mounting a magnetic holster in their vehicle are responsible enough to remove the firearm when they park the vehicle for an extended period of time.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Extension of your home is the law.
    It is not. Please stop saying this please. I even said please.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Wouldn't you think most people remove their loaded firearm when they leave their vehicle? My experience that most individuals who go through the trouble of mounting a magnetic holster in their vehicle are responsible enough to remove the firearm when they park the vehicle for an extended period of time.

No.

The numerous people who have had firearms stolen are the prime example. Whether he would like to admit it or not, someone in this thread has had a firearm stolen from their vehicle, even being out of plain sight. Out of sight, out of mind only is useless if it's unsecured.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yeh, it's definitely not illegal to have a loaded weapon in your automobile in Louisiana, unless you can not legally have a firearm in your possession. Extension of your home is the law. And you can pretty much store it wherever you like. I have a concealed carry. I usually do carry mine on me everywhere. Sometimes I stick it in my door if I'm on a longer than normal trip and it's more comfortable for me to take it off and ride. As for the magnet holster type of mounts....I like em. I do not ride around in my truck worrying about getting into an accident and my firearm hitting me in the head. That's kinda like hopping on a plane and worrying about crashing. The odds are actually against you. And realistically, I'd much rather get in the head with my own firearm in a crash than need my weapon and not be able to pull it out and have it useful bc I'm sitting on it. The odds of any of those things happening are so far fetched that imo it's almost ridiculous to debate any of it. That's my two cents!!

Extension of your home is NOT the law.

Just because you /can/ store it wherever you like does not make it the smartest or safest option.

Why would you be sitting on you firearm? That seems like a terrible idea.

You would think that...but a lot of people have "truck guns."

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    No.

The numerous people who have had firearms stolen are the prime example. Whether he would like to admit it or not, someone in this thread has had a firearm stolen from their vehicle, even being out of plain sight. Out of sight, out of mind only is useless if it's unsecured.

It was me. I left a firearm in my vehicle due to me rushing to catch an uber. I threw it in the glove box with the intention of removing it the second I got home. Vehicle got broken into and the thief got a loaded gun with a WML. It was a stupid mistake and now because of it some ******* criminal has a weapon that he could use to hurt an innocent family or anyone.

The vehicle was behind a locked floor to ceiling gate in a very nice neighborhood and the guy busted the window, climbed in the back seat, and looked around the car for things he might want. Was in and out in 30 seconds.

Unfortunately, it was a lesson learned that crime can take place at anytime, anywhere, and to always be prepared for it. In this case, prepared means not leaving weapons in a vehicle that can be grabbed by a criminal. These guys know people keep guns under seats, on the door, in the glove boxes, or wedged next to the seat. It's just not worth it for a convenience factor and it certainly is one of the worst options with regards to getting to a firearm in a situation where the need arises.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    Extension of your home is the law.
    It is not. Please stop saying this please. I even said please.

Possession of a gun in your vehicle is perfectly legal in Louisiana as the vehicle is considered an extension of your home (As it is worded in LRS 14:95.2: *Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.*)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom