Loaded gun in car illegal in La.?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You forgot one:

An unsecured weapon in vehicle becomes a dangerous guided missile in a crash while any other unsecured items in that vehicle will safely be deflected by the driver's personal force field.

I was under the impression that nothing becomes dangerous, because no one plans on getting into an accident.

I'm on my way to the house! I will try to take a picture of the way the backseat of my truck is as we sit! It's pretty scary!

You two will conclude I obviously have a death wish! ;)

In all fairness, it is hunting season; so it will look like it too!

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I'm on my way to the house! I will try to take a picture of the way the backseat of my truck is as we sit! It's pretty scary!

Right there with you.

I’m less worried about my gun being a projectile and more worried it won’t be exactly where I left it requiring me to take my eyes off of a potential threat when attempting to draw. I also would rather not be made holstering my gun in a parking lot. I don’t want anyone knowing I’m carrying.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

It's not "you two." My reasoning for disliking in-car off-body carry relates to muscle memory as opposed to flying debris. In a crash without a rollover, everything will generally move in one direction. You may get hit with the firearm if you are t-boned on the driver's side. It's not like the firearm will bounce around the cabin like a pinball between two bumpers. In a rollover, the heavier objects will want to move outward. It may hit you on the way out the window. But if you get t-boned or if you are in a rollover, based on crashes I've seen, there are usually worse things going on that the bump or laceration from the flying weapon. No, my concern is being able to reach for the weapon without having to look away from the threat that prompted you to reach for it in the first place.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's not "you two." My reasoning for disliking in-car off-body carry relates to muscle memory as opposed to flying debris. In a crash without a rollover, everything will generally move in one direction. You may get hit with the firearm if you are t-boned on the driver's side. It's not like the firearm will bounce around the cabin like a pinball between two bumpers. In a rollover, the heavier objects will want to move outward. It may hit you on the way out the window. But if you get t-boned or if you are in a rollover, based on crashes I've seen, there are usually worse things going on that the bump or laceration from the flying weapon. No, my concern is being able to reach for the weapon without having to look away from the threat that prompted you to reach for it in the first place.

Please don't get my disdain for off-body carry misconstrued.

I choose not to off-body carry in a vehicle for the same reasons you do, along with the additional possibility of forgetting to grab it in the event you need to exit the vehicle quickly. I also do not like additional unnecessary administrative tasks. Gun goes in holster, holster goes in my pants. End of the day, holstered gun comes out and into the safe.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

I choose not to off-body carry in a vehicle for the same reasons you do, along with the additional possibility of forgetting to grab it in the event you need to exit the vehicle quickly. I also do not like additional unnecessary administrative tasks. Gun goes in holster, holster goes in my pants. End of the day, holstered gun comes out and into the safe.

I couldn’t imagine taking a holster off and on all day long (would drive me crazy). I also train from a holstered gun “not from between the seats”.

I will consult a certified NRA instructor with approved instructor shirt for advice ASAP.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I couldn’t imagine taking a holster off and on all day long (would drive me crazy). I also train from a holstered gun *not from between the seats*.

I will consult a certified NRA instructor with approved instructor shirt for advice ASAP.

Ahh,Hold on now,old man Jack Wilson and Stephen Willeford, Have shirts to prove it....

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

I couldn't agree more. Training to draw from (insert location that isn't where gun is carried) requires a lot of extra effort than training to draw from the same spot that it is always at, all day.

A lot of people think they'll be able to get their gun from wherever they stow it when they need it, but that simply isn't the case. Plus, stowing it leads to the possibility of intentionally or unintentionally leaving it wherever it is stowed, which has a lot higher probability of being bad compared to being on person or in a safe.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    You forgot one:

• An unsecured weapon in vehicle becomes a dangerous guided missile in a crash while any other unsecured items in that vehicle will safely be deflected by the driver's personal force field.

I know a lady that hit another car & got a concussion from getting wacked in the back of the head by a flying Bible!

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Well this is sure to throw some on here into shock. Sometimes when I’m sitting in my unit doing work on the computer, I take my Safariland QLS holster off my gun belt and set it in my lap to give my hip a break. Hopefully if I need it I don’t forget where it’s at. I’ve been wearing a gun for over 20 years professionally and nothing feels better than people young enough to be my children telling me I’m doing it wrong. Like I have said before, I’ve seen more crashes than any of the people preaching and yet to respond to a crash where someone has a pistol sticking out of their head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I couldn't agree more. Training to draw from (insert location that isn't where gun is carried) requires a lot of extra effort than training to draw from the same spot that it is always at, all day.

A lot of people think they'll be able to get their gun from wherever they stow it when they need it, but that simply isn't the case. Plus, stowing it leads to the possibility of intentionally or unintentionally leaving it wherever it is stowed, which has a lot higher probability of being bad compared to being on person or in a safe.

Does cup holder constitute “stowing”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Good to go.

Ford2_1024x1024.png

Staff online

Forum statistics