Loaded gun in car illegal in La.?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Your vehicle is an extension of your home. I thought we had covered this already?

*in that one scenario where it's in your attached garage with the doors closed

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So, you are correct in what your saying, but your not right. Dude, you just argue to argue. We are talking about how it affects the use of a firearm. The use of a firearm is exactly the same in a vehicle, as it is in your home. Or any other dwelling if you want to get super technical. I don't care about what the drinking and driving laws are, or what the consent laws are. That's irrelevant. We are talking about what it has to do with firearms. Read the law. The use of deadly force is acceptable in any case. The reason why they say it is an extension of your home is bc the law is the same when protecting your property. It's in black and white. You can pick it apart and come up with many scenarios where it may not exactly match up to what your perception is, but there is no doubting what the law says. I'll quote any thing I want. And it's right. The statute is the statute. Castle laws, stand your ground, all the same home or auto. You can perceive it however you want. I see other guys saying consult an attorney....whatever guys. When it comes to a firearm, you can utilize the firearm to defend your property exactly the same way with your home or auto. Prove me wrong instead of pulling up your opinion or your interpretaion of the law. Someone.
    [FONT="]Universal Citation: [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="https://law.justia.com/citations.html#LA%20Rev%20Stat%20%C2%A7%2014:20"]LA Rev Stat § 14:20[/URL] Castle laws, stand your ground, whatever you want to call it. It's universal for property. I'm not going to argue with you any more. Every time I post on here it's you arguing. That's not fun to me. It's pretty much all one big arguement from what I see. I'm a guy that loves to hunt, loves to shoot, and I follow the law. I don't know it all, but I'll be damned if I'll sit back and let some know it all tell me I"m wrong every time I post something. Wouldn't it suit you better to help people than attempt to make yourself look your some type of gun guru? How do people put up with your **** on here?

Are you an attorney?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Am I being detained....
    Am I being detained?

C59C0CFBF000E6B47FE40082930E836CFDC11C0E

- - - Updated - - -

I think the real question is......are you? I'm out Dave. I'm done with this. Good luck trying to prove the world wrong.

I asked you first... :rofl:

That's twice that you stated you are leaving. Try for a third?

tenor.gif

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So, you are correct in what your saying, but your not right. Dude, you just argue to argue. We are talking about how it affects the use of a firearm. The use of a firearm is exactly the same in a vehicle, as it is in your home. Or any other dwelling if you want to get super technical. I don't care about what the drinking and driving laws are, or what the consent laws are. That's irrelevant. We are talking about what it has to do with firearms. Read the law. The use of deadly force is acceptable in any case. The reason why they say it is an extension of your home is bc the law is the same when protecting your property. It's in black and white. You can pick it apart and come up with many scenarios where it may not exactly match up to what your perception is, but there is no doubting what the law says. I'll quote any thing I want. And it's right. The statute is the statute. Castle laws, stand your ground, all the same home or auto. You can perceive it however you want. I see other guys saying consult an attorney....whatever guys. When it comes to a firearm, you can utilize the firearm to defend your property exactly the same way with your home or auto. Prove me wrong instead of pulling up your opinion or your interpretaion of the law. Someone.
    [FONT="]Universal Citation: [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="https://law.justia.com/citations.html#LA%20Rev%20Stat%20%C2%A7%2014:20"]LA Rev Stat § 14:20[/URL] Castle laws, stand your ground, whatever you want to call it. It's universal for property. I'm not going to argue with you any more. Every time I post on here it's you arguing. That's not fun to me. It's pretty much all one big arguement from what I see. I'm a guy that loves to hunt, loves to shoot, and I follow the law. I don't know it all, but I'll be damned if I'll sit back and let some know it all tell me I"m wrong every time I post something. Wouldn't it suit you better to help people than attempt to make yourself look your some type of gun guru? How do people put up with your **** on here?

Actually the law doesn't allow for you to use a firearm to protect your property. If someone is breaking into your shed, your car, or your fishpond and you shoot them to protect your property, you will likely end up in jail. If someone is breaking into your home, you are likely good to go for using a firearm to defend your home.

I seem to remember someone in Louisiana having a perp break into his car, outside of his house. He then goes outside and shoots the guy and is subsequently arrested and charged. I'm pretty sure he ended up going to and staying in jail because of that.

Castle Law/Stand your ground, in Louisiana, allows you to defend yourself without a duty to retreat. It doesn't make your vehicle an extension of your home and doesn't afford you any of the rights that your home does. In all use of force situations, it still has to be justifiable, and being in your car doesn't change things. There is also the consideration, while in a vehicle, with how easy it is to simply drive away from situations. But that's a whole different story that we can debate another day.

We all are arguing against what you are saying not just to argue, but because it is important to understand the law and distinguish between what people say and what the law actually is.

At the end of the day if you are legally permitted to possess a firearm, in Louisiana, you can possess it in your vehicle (where legal). If you are legally allowed to conceal a firearm, you can conceal it on you person, while in, or outside of a vehicle, in places where it is legal. In all of these places where you can legally possess you firearm, you can use it to defend yourself in situations where use of deadly force is legally permitted. You do not have the same rights, though, in your vehicle with which you do inside of your home and you vehicle is not a legal extension of your home.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    In response to being an instructor, and teaching a class about leaving a firearm in a vehicle. I think you are taking what he was saying out of context, and that people are taking what you are saying out of context. I would never advocate to leave a loaded firearm in a vehicle for any period of time unattended.

I do however deholster my gun while driving my vehicles. I have holsters mounted between the seats on the console. I do not like carrying inside my vehicle on my person for a host of reasons, and quite honestly there is no one size fits all solutions to any problem. If your threat is outside your vehicle, then take your time deploy your holstered firearm at your leisure, but if the threat is inside your vehicle, that becomes a different scenario. End of the day it will all boil down to what is acceptable or not for you. All my habit costs me is a little undo wear on the finish of my carry gun, from the ins and outs of my holster. Which to me is meh, because I draw, and holster thousands of time per year anyway while instructing classes. I have learned to be pretty slick with the transition, so I can do it most of the time while transitioning from standing to seated or the other way, without drawing any undo attention to myself.

What I do wonder about so much on here though is this, if you people know so much. Why don't I see your names on instructor shirts, or on the concealed carry instructors lists?

I know some of you are trolling, but honestly, to get hung up on every word spoken is crazy. The gun is an extension of your home thing is very common with anyone older than 35. We can remember a time when a gun in your car was illegal in Louisiana. That law was changed in the late 90's, and the caricature of "an extension of your home" was born, due to the reference of your house in the law as it was originally written. So that is not exactly right, but it is not exactly wrong either, and to argue about it is diminutive and petty.

Not everyone has an internet law degree, and in most cases what people say is a regurgitation of what they have heard others say or accepted for truth themselves. If it is dead wrong, it should be corrected. If it is only wrong in verbiage, but they have the right idea, why be an *******? That's what it is, and why I do not contribute more than I feel compelled to here. Also the reason why many knowledgeable people that used to contribute do not anymore. Let the lawyers get hung up on the differences in the meaning of you, and thou yours, and thine, tomato, tomato, etc. I just isn't that important, other than to make someone sound self important. If that is your case then you need more than this forum. When I come here it is for entertainment, and to see what people are selling. This place is the General Hospital of the Louisiana Shooting community. Don't believe me look at the length and content of this thread. No sound advice or knowledge comes from the many opinions argued out on Bayou Shooter, unless you know who to PM, or somewhat take seriously.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    Actually the law doesn't allow for you to use a firearm to protect your property. If someone is breaking into your shed, your car, or your fishpond and you shoot them to protect your property, you will likely end up in jail. If someone is breaking into your home, you are likely good to go for using a firearm to defend your home.

I seem to remember someone in Louisiana having a perp break into his car, outside of his house. He then goes outside and shoots the guy and is subsequently arrested and charged. I'm pretty sure he ended up going to and staying in jail because of that.

Castle Law/Stand your ground, in Louisiana, allows you to defend yourself without a duty to retreat. It doesn't make your vehicle an extension of your home and doesn't afford you any of the rights that your home does. In all use of force situations, it still has to be justifiable, and being in your car doesn't change things. There is also the consideration, while in a vehicle, with how easy it is to simply drive away from situations. But that's a whole different story that we can debate another day.

We all are arguing against what you are saying not just to argue, but because it is important to understand the law and distinguish between what people say and what the law actually is.

At the end of the day if you are legally permitted to possess a firearm, in Louisiana, you can possess it in your vehicle (where legal). If you are legally allowed to conceal a firearm, you can conceal it on you person, while in, or outside of a vehicle, in places where it is legal. In all of these places where you can legally possess you firearm, you can use it to defend yourself in situations where use of deadly force is legally permitted. You do not have the same rights, though, in your vehicle with which you do inside of your home and you vehicle is not a legal extension of your home.

Your argument is moot. If he would have been exiting his car, and shot a perp leaving his house with his tv without provocation, he would also be going to jail. Same as if he had shot someone in his shed in his back yard without provocation.

You can use it in situations where use of deadly force is legally permitted is the only part of that statement that is relevant, and it doesn't matter if it's your house, your car, your shed etc.

Last edited:

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    In response to being an instructor, and teaching a class about leaving a firearm in a vehicle. I think you are taking what he was saying out of context, and that people are taking what you are saying out of context. I would never advocate to leave a loaded firearm in a vehicle for any period of time unattended.

I do however deholster my gun while driving my vehicles. I have holsters mounted between the seats on the console. I do not like carrying inside my vehicle on my person for a host of reasons, and quite honestly there is no one size fits all solutions to any problem. If your threat is outside your vehicle, then take your time deploy your holstered firearm at your leisure, but if the threat is inside your vehicle, that becomes a different scenario. End of the day it will all boil down to what is acceptable or not for you. All my habit costs me is a little undo wear on the finish of my carry gun, from the ins and outs of my holster. Which to me is meh, because I draw, and holster thousands of time per year anyway while instructing classes. I have learned to be pretty slick with the transition, so I can do it most of the time while transitioning from standing to seated or the other way, without drawing any undo attention to myself.

What I do wonder about so much on here though is this, if you people know so much. Why don't I see your names on instructor shirts, or on the concealed carry instructors lists?

I know some of you are trolling, but honestly, to get hung up on every word spoken is crazy. The gun is an extension of your home thing is very common with anyone older than 35. We can remember a time when a gun in your car was illegal in Louisiana. That law was changed in the late 90's, and the caricature of "an extension of your home" was born, due to the reference of your house in the law as it was originally written. So that is not exactly right, but it is not exactly wrong either, and to argue about it is diminutive and petty.

Not everyone has an internet law degree, and in most cases what people say is a regurgitation of what they have heard others say or accepted for truth themselves. If it is dead wrong, it should be corrected. If it is only wrong in verbiage, but they have the right idea, why be an *******? That's what it is, and why I do not contribute more than I feel compelled to here. Also the reason why many knowledgeable people that used to contribute do not anymore. Let the lawyers get hung up on the differences in the meaning of you, and thou yours, and thine, tomato, tomato, etc. I just isn't that important, other than to make someone sound self important. If that is your case then you need more than this forum. When I come here it is for entertainment, and to see what people are selling. This place is the General Hospital of the Louisiana Shooting community. Don't believe me look at the length and content of this thread. No sound advice or knowledge comes from the many opinions argued out on Bayou Shooter, unless you know who to PM, or somewhat take seriously.

I appreciate this response personally because it embodies what I believe and actually try to follow in my every day actions. Would I rather be right, or would I rather be happy? Who gives a flip about being right all the time? It takes so much energy to argue yourself into a position like some of these guys that I don't know how you can possibly find enough words to support yourself at that level. It's exhausting. And for whatever reason, I allow myself to get caught up in it. I've been on several forums that are just like this. And I'm not on them any longer.

But the point really is this.....I'm in the business. I'm a professional, and I pride myself on that. I don't know everything, but I promise you I know the law. I don't advocate shooting anyone for anything. Whether your in your car, your home, whatever. Pretty much none of us will ever have to face that reality. But, if put in the position, and that choice had to be made, it doesn't matter where your standing in La., it's all the same. And that's that. Pick it apart guys. Have fun.....

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

I agree!!!! I only accept advice from State approved CC instructors with the shirt and all.

BlueJay100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    U are the ''Stupid" one, just my opinion.

It is legal to leave a loaded handgun in your vehicle in Louisiana.

It is extremely stupid, but legal.

Pistol magnet are also stupid. Your car is not a holster.

Wouldn't it be STUPID if our police had to carry unloaded guns in cars? My My, where are you from, Chicago??

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

Are you a LA CHP instructor?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I think it’s fair to say one is lawfully allowed to have a loaded gun in the car (ruling out felons and any other exceptions) and protect their life or loved ones with said loaded gun. Doesn’t mean some DA won’t attempt to charge the citizen with something if there’s a justified shooting, just like they might do when good citizens drop criminals breaking into their home.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I think it’s fair to say one is lawfully allowed to have a loaded gun in the car (ruling out felons and any other exceptions) and protect their life or loved ones with said loaded gun. Doesn’t mean some DA won’t attempt to charge the citizen with something if there’s a justified shooting, just like they might do when good citizens drop criminals breaking into their home.

Sounds about right.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Wouldn't it be STUPID if our police had to carry unloaded guns in cars? My My, where are you from, Chicago??

LOL two posts in 11 years and you use one to call someone stupid.

Looks like we found the guy that hates the police and loves pistol magnets.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom