Surplus guns=surplus fun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Took a few out today that I had yet to shoot or yet to test after mods. It’s been a while since I bought much in the way of surplus guns but over the last couple months the deals have been there, so I grabbed a few.
    Pictured are, closest first: Beretta 81, Yugo M70, CZ70, and a pair of CZ52 pistols.

561a33d87ddaba3103f319460235b3c1.jpg

4636074d1a0ee39d763c2b45dc722159.jpg

2437bdfd95a91f88bc365b7aee87dbd3.jpg

be17ca59dee6c656573fca0267d62860.jpg
    The Beretta is my third and really just an impulse purchase as of late because the lot was said to be so pristine for the price. For $199 it was good info.
    Second was a huge surprise, the Yugo M70. It’s called the little bird or something over there, idk. Just another .32ACP single stack I thought. Think again..
    Three is one I’ve been curious about for years and will need to work on for sure, the CZ70. Improved on the model 50, touted to be the Czech PPK, but that 20 pound trigger tho...
    the last two ain’t exactly mouse guns. They might even hurt your hand to shoot them. If .40 S&W is too snappy, you won’t like these.

Reverse order no I guess, the CZ 52, or VZ 52 to some, when the Soviet Union moved in and told the Czechs to adopt their 7.62x25 cartridge and build a bunch of TT-33 pistols, the Czechs only heard the cartridge part and beefed up their planned 9mm Largo sidearms to accommodate the Soviet submachine gun round. They made 200 thousand and called it a day. They use a pair of rollers to mitigate recoil and keep the barrel and slide together. Problem is the rollers and firing pin are cast steel and the rollers wear out of round pretty soon and the firing pins often break right at the tip. The fix is aftermarket hardened steel stuff which also affords a very nice trigger and the added relief from trigger bite. Yes, the pistol has a knack of transferring energy back through the firing pin and fire control group to the shooter’s trigger finger. So as soon as I purchased the darker of these two I contacted Harrington products to purchase their hardened steel competition parts and convert it. That particular pistol, according to the markings, looks to have been sent to the armory once, restored and packed away. The other pistol shown already had the update kit installed at some point. The finish is the original and it appears the pistol was never issued for service. Many people love the clunky Russian and polish TT pistols and the Zastava 57’s that shoot this round, but I think the 52 is the sweetest out there once the parts are swapped out. Expect 1700-1900 fps depending on which ammo you’re shooting...

The Beretta 81 is definitely the sweeter of the 32’s, and the only double stack pictured. Smooth, accurate and reliable with a great trigger. It feels very refined compared to the others. Not much more pop than a 22 on this
    frame.
    The CZ 70 was my least favorite for the day simply due to the terrible trigger. The pull weight is extreme, especially for a single action pistol. How bad is it? I bet 9 out of 10 shooters would check the safety a few times. The guns were produced in the 1970’s so it’s not like they’re ancient. Hopefully I’ll find a fix.
    Lastly and most surprising was the Yugo M70. Smallest of the bunch by a tad, easy predictable trigger, decent sight picture for the era and punched holes exactly where directed. Only hiccup was a single stove pipe that was quickly cleared with a single sweep of the hand and back to business. This pistol was also the best deal of the 5 shown. J&G had them a few weeks back for $149 and the gun is in immaculate condition. I also appreciate the way this pistol breaks down, the entire fire control group lifts out the frame in one unit. Very cool.

So, others that are well worth the money if you can find them are the Star 9mm pistols in full size or compact, CZ82 is a fine offering, any of the surplus Berettas are good to go for sure, and if you want something with a little more punch, hard to beat anything that spits out the 7.62x25.
    Go shoot!

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Nice looking condition on all.
    Those are a bargain and should be a ton of fun.
    I have one of those CZ52 and 9mm conversion barrel

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Looks like a great day at the range! I’m kind of on the same wavelength. I’ve got the Star Super B’s and BM, Astra 600 etc. I’ve got a lot of 7.62x25 ammo. I’ve got a pair of PPS-43c and a pair of M57. Ive been looking for more mags for the M57’s but haven’t had much luck. I was looking at maybe getting some TT-33 because they seem decent, inexpensive and the mags are readily available. Really looking at the next purchase as staying in 7.62x25 because I have the ammo. Any recommendations in regards to staying in that caliber where I can also get more than a pair of mags?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Looks like a great day at the range! I’m kind of on the same wavelength. I’ve got the Star Super B’s and BM, Astra 600 etc. I’ve got a lot of 7.62x25 ammo. I’ve got a pair of PPS-43c and a pair of M57. Ive been looking for more mags for the M57’s but haven’t had much luck. I was looking at maybe getting some TT-33 because they seem decent, inexpensive and the mags are readily available. Really looking at the next purchase as staying in 7.62x25 because I have the ammo. Any recommendations in regards to staying in that caliber where I can also get more than a pair of mags?
    Those Star pistols are great I just bought another one this week but found out I’m delayed (?!!) so I’m waiting til Thursday to pick it up.
    As far as 7.62x25 pistols go, my favorite is definitely the CZ52. The Zastava 57 is prolly the more refined of the old Russian TT based guns, and the 52 is a more pleasant shooter and built a little better in many regards. I have over a dozen new CZ factory mags that cost me $19 each. They’re very available at the moment. The pistols range in price from $300-$450... not a real bargain but not a lot of them to be had. I remember buying P-38’s for around $200 years ago and they are priced just a tad higher (lol) nowadays, so it’s all relative. The hardened steel firing pin ($35-45) and roller sets ($18) at Harrington are cheap enough and simple enough to install and well worth the money for the difference they make. So if I was looking for another pistol in that caliber, CZ52 gets my vote.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Nice looking condition on all.
    Those are a bargain and should be a ton of fun.
    I have one of those CZ52 and 9mm conversion barrel
    I haven’t acquired the conversion yet but plan to. I figure since they were supposed to be 9mm Largo from the beginning I might as well fully appreciate the option. Any flukes or special considerations in making the swap?

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Those Star pistols are great I just bought another one this week but found out I’m delayed (?!!) so I’m waiting til Thursday to pick it up.
    As far as 7.62x25 pistols go, my favorite is definitely the CZ52. The Zastava 57 is prolly the more refined of the old Russian TT based guns, and the 52 is a more pleasant shooter and built a little better in many regards. I have over a dozen new CZ factory mags that cost me $19 each. They’re very available at the moment. The pistols range in price from $300-$450... not a real bargain but not a lot of them to be had. I remember buying P-38’s for around $200 years ago and they are priced just a tad higher (lol) nowadays, so it’s all relative. The hardened steel firing pin ($35-45) and roller sets ($18) at Harrington are cheap enough and simple enough to install and well worth the money for the difference they make. So if I was looking for another pistol in that caliber, CZ52 gets my vote.
    I haven’t seen the Cz-52 on my regular sites (classic, center fire, jj, buds). Any pointers on other sites for them?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I haven’t seen the Cz-52 on my regular sites (classic, center fire, jj, buds). Any pointers on other sites for them?
    The 52 is a little different bird in the surplus world. There simply aren’t blocks of them waiting to be found in an armory or storage bunker somewhere. There isn’t going to be a pallet of those coming from the eastern bloc to CAI or any other importer. Production dates were 1952-54 and the total produced is supposedly 200,000. Most were at some point sent back to the VOZ armory once or twice and reconditioned before being put back into service. I believe whatever number is out there in public hands is likely it. I doubt all 200k are still in service or collector condition and I haven’t been able to ascertain how many are currently in the states, although I’m sure that info is known since there are records of imported firearms. I purchased one from a friend years ago, one from Gunbroker and one from a member here recently. Unlike some of the other surplus guns produced in higher numbers and sold to importers in higher numbers, the 52 is a little tougher to acquire and a little closer to being a true collectible so it’s the collectors that have them. Wherever these collectors sell is where to look. Gun Broker, Guns America to name a couple.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Important note on the CZ52; they have very fragile decockers.
    The only ND I have ever had was from using a decocker on a 52.
    Fortunately, it was pointed in a safe direction.
    No one harmed but I did have to buy my buddy a new refrigerator.
    And yes, the 7.62 x 25 round will take a subzero right out and still lodge in the wall.
    :(

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I love the CZ-52... You mentioned the CZ-82 as well that is without a doubt my favorite Compact to shoot love mine and it is very very accurate! I have the staple collectible handguns (p-38, Luger) and always look to get more but I am a rifleman at heart... I really like surplus rifles... Right now (until I exhaust my 8mm supply) my Hakim is my favorite and barely moves when fired... But Egyptian Surplus is hit or miss on first time ignition.... I would love to shoot my Garand and 1903A3 more but 30-06 that is safe in a Garand is super expensive and I do not have the space to reload... I really would love to find a source of more affordable 30-06...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Important note on the CZ52; they have very fragile decockers.
    The only ND I have ever had was from using a decocker on a 52.
    Fortunately, it was pointed in a safe direction.
    No one harmed but I did have to buy my buddy a new refrigerator.
    And yes, the 7.62 x 25 round will take a subzero right out and still lodge in the wall.
    :(

Yeah, don’t trust the decocker for sure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom