More delayed transfers lately?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don’t know how many firearms I’ve purchased since background checks became a thing, quite a few. I’ve never had a problem, never denied or delayed. Today I was delayed while trying to pick up a new Star BM 9. I took it kinda personal, although my FFL assured me I should not. He says he’s seen an awful lot of ‘Delayed’ lately. He went over a few simple things that could cause a delay and they’re surprising. Simple things related to searches made by other entities was the one that made me cringe. Any sort of background check by any sort of creditor or what have you can trigger a delay. That just don’t sit well with me but what can you do..
    He also said they’re on a heightened alert of sorts recently yada yada the rest went over my head as I sat there fondling my new pistol that wasn’t going home with me.
    Anyway, anyone else running into this lately?
    Any other input, insight or explanations?

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    Your FFL is not lying. I have noticed many more delays than usual in the past year. Just get a CHP, and don't worry about the background check. Fill out the form and go.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I’ve been delayed in the past.
    Winds up, there’s a guy in Louisiana with my same name that likes collecting felonies.
    I found this out when my parked car was hit outside my home.
    The officer responding said I had a warrant outstanding.
    I showed him my carry permit and informed him that I was carrying.
    He looked closer at the warrant and the guy was 5 years older than me and was a different race.
    Oddly, he lived not 20 miles from me.
    So, no arrest and mystery of the delayed approval solved.

Strick8

Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Jan 16, 2018
    Hammond, LA
    Don’t like the sound of that myself. Can you imagine running into an old friend at the pawn shop while you’re picking up a pistol, and they come out and say your handgun purchase has been delayed?! I guess that should be the least of my worries about this BS, but it would sure infuriate me on top of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Could it be the volume causing issues? Or did the staff get cut that runs the department. Think how easy it would be to just delay everyone for three days. Then there is no need to pass another law. They will just blame it on staffing.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    I think it has to do with a lot of things. Staffing, and rule changes being a couple of the many. There are some 4473 changes coming down the pipe soon as well. I have no way to confirm this, but suspect that they have incorporated a bit more scrutiny into the process. Also Louisiana has passed a law stating FFL's must report denials to the sheriff, and the Louisiana Automated Victim Notification System as well. They are actively following up on some of the fraudulent 4473's now. Most of that activity has been from the AG's office, and not the local level at my shop anyway.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    If you are getting delayed frequent then consider requesting a right to review to see what could be on your possible rapsheet. Complete the two forms and submit to see what might be there
    http://www.lsp.org/technical.html

If there is an open arrest lacking a dispostion , nics will delay for nthe 3 days while they attempt to get a disposition from law enforcement , da or court.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    as noted one just needs to get your CCW permit from state of LA and you bypass NICS, that is unless the LGS has a policy which still requires a nics check..

Davidg53

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2018
    Bentley,La
    Another possible target of the delay tactic is the gun shows. A delay at a gun show almost always kills that deal. I was a gun show dealer as recently as last year, and I often had the distinct impression that someone at nics was using delays to kill sales...which it does most of the time.

jr70895

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    I've purchased 3 handguns and all delayed. However, I was able to pick up within 7 days. I bought one on Jan 1st from Bass Pro, again delayed. Here it is 25 days later and still not able to pick it up. Bass Pro no longer honors the Brady Law and waits until they get a written approval back.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've purchased 3 handguns and all delayed. However, I was able to pick up within 7 days. I bought one on Jan 1st from Bass Pro, again delayed. Here it is 25 days later and still not able to pick it up. Bass Pro no longer honors the Brady Law and waits until they get a written approval back.

Why do business with a company that treats you like that?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I did one this morning at Jefferson Gun. Went threw very fast.
    This thread had me worried.

Top Bottom