Anyone Here Had Knee Replacement?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Having a lot of pain in my knee. Last visit the Dr. suggested knee replacement. I'm not keen to the idea yet but I'm going next week for an injection to hopefully get some relief.

What about anyone here, has anyone had replacement?
    If it was bionic I'd do it in a heartbeat! Lol......

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    I am a physical therapist and treat a lot of knee dysfunction. Have you done the series of three synvic injections? If you have not that and possibly scoping the knee to clean up the meniscus and clear out trash. Those are opportunities you can talk to your orthopedist about. Maybe some PT to strengthen and improve movement.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I did hyaluronic injections, five in fact. Had both knees scoped and cleaned up. I want to have it scoped again but they insist it won't really help as it's like bone on bone but I think I'd rather scoping again and then if that doesn't help then I'd seriously consider replacement. PT is painful as it is now.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Never had it myself but have had two elbow synovectomies and radial head resections and get injections in my ankles periodically. But I work in the health care field and have spoken to 100’s of people that have had their knee replaced and all but one had the same reaction, *I wish I would have done this sooner*.

The one lady that didn’t say that waited too long to get it. She was already old but weak now from not getting around much due to knee pain. Well she fell while in the hospital and broke her femur. She’s the only one that didn’t wish she did it sooner

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    I’m not a PT but after 13 years working for Uncle Sam and 7 years as an LEO, I’ve heard, studied, and/or tried everything from snake oil to surgery shy of getting train tracks.

The ONLY reason I haven’t had it done yet is I refuse to get new knees as a midlife crisis for myself. A new motorcycle or a race car, maybe. But despite being bone-on-bone after 3 scopes and 4 injections before 35 (it ain’t the vintage, it’s the mileage), I’m trying to hold out til either 50 or I can’t walk without excruciating pain (whichever comes last). As is I get by with topical NSAID cream, braces or wraps, and only moderate (7-8 is my “normal”) pain unless I run more than about 4 miles.

When your orthopedist starts talking about NFL players with better knees than yours, then it’s time to start planning an upgrade. Til then, as said above I’d focus on PT for strength/stability and flexibility and keep your OEMs til it’s unfeasible. The stronger you can make your quads/hammies and calves (and get active to bring your BMI down some if you’re over 30%), the more stress it’ll take off your knees. And the easier your recovery will be when/if you finally do get to a point where replacement is warranted.

Knee pain sucks... good luck!

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I injured my knee while doing dead lifts. Symptoms were swelling, loss of range of motion and strangley pain in the lower shin. Injection relieved sympttoms for about 6 weeks. MRI revealed torn meninus. Knee was scoped, Doc said both medial and lateral were torn. He said for 75 years old the knee was in good shape, very little loss of cartlage. It' s been 9 weeks since the surgery but the symptoms prior to the surgery remain. Seems the surgery accomplished zero.

Last edited:

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    Not me but my wife had one done a few years ago. She too had bone-on-bone. The doctor kept putting it off, telling her she was too young and to wait until the pain became unbearable. It did. It got to the point where I thought I'd have to get her a walker just to go across our living room. Once done and through the painful PTs, she's good as new. Just has to be careful not to fall on it. Her doctor/surgeon here in Thibodaux was excellent.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    I'm a pharmacist, my wife is/was a nurse and spent too many years running up and down halls, lifting and pulling on patients. She had her first knee replacement, after the clean up, and Synvisc injections which did no good, at about age 60, second one about 4 years later. Worth it, definitely, my advice is don't put it off. It's no fun she was supposed to have some home health assistance, which turned out to be a laugh. I did it all myself, took her to physical therapy, watched and then figured out some things and did therapy at home also and had her back active sooner than expected. I say do it so you can get on your life pain free, not say the first week will be hell, but then it gets so much better. She also later had to have some back surgery which made the knee replacements look like a walk in the park, and finally surgery on both feet for hammer toe on big toes and claw toes on all others. Foot surgery was rather easy compared to all the others, Now she walks fine, just uses a cane to help some with balance.

LouisianaJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Luling, Louisiana
    I had my right knee done in 2009 at age 64. Left knee done in 2012 at age 67. At both times, I was active at the gym so my leg muscles were good and I was walking within 3 weeks without support.

If you can take it, do as much exercise as you can to build up muscle in your legs before surgery. This will make recovery quicker. After 10 years, I still no longer have any knee pain. I do have some ankle pain since I am still carrying around too much butt. I have lost 37 lbs in the last year by reducing portion size.

Good luck!

david mitchell

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    near mandeville
    I had my left knee replaced after stem cell injections, a total waste of $5500 . Being 6 months after surgery using Mako computer guided replacement. It was the most painful surgery I ever had and I am not without many injuries from motorcycles, 2 fingers amputated and living life to extreme. I am still dealing with the aftermaths. I did 180 lb squats and rode stationary bike 8 mile today. At least the knee does not buckle. Good luck

PeterJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2019
    Covington, LA
    Knee Replacement

I had my left knee replaced in July this year. Had tried both the shots and scope with physical therapy, but that didn’t work. The operation was successful, it was Robotic here in Covington, and for the most part the pain was gone.
    Then I went to therapy, it was a new experience in pain and pain management. The knee, ligaments and muscles were being asked to stretch. But therapy pushes you past your comfort zone and after a month+/- the pain was manageable with Tylenol.
    I am good now. I can get to within 10 degrees of normal bend and can lay the leg out flat on the floor.
    I do have days when I take an extra Tylenol over the two a day I take for every day aches and pains.
    Will I do it for the other knee when it gives out? In a heart beat, no hesitation. I also will get assistance through physical therapy as that speeds up the process, for me.

MSST8DOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Knee replacement

Having a lot of pain in my knee. Last visit the Dr. suggested knee replacement. I'm not keen to the idea yet but I'm going next week for an injection to hopefully get some relief.

What about anyone here, has anyone had replacement?
    If it was bionic I'd do it in a heartbeat! Lol......

I have had left one replaced, best move I ever made. I should have taken better care of it in the years prior. I am about to have right one replaced. I just have one thing to say..... DO NOT BE A SLACKER ON THE PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!!!! I know several people who have not done the PT properly and they have regretted it. Push yourself as hard as you can without causing damage. I pushed, but could have gone a bit harder and been finished a bit earlier.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    a good friend of mine had a replacement about 2 years ago. Very rough 2 weeks. PT for her was a breeze (she's a karate instructor... and already in great shape). She was going up stairs slowly at 3 weeks.

Anyway I worked next door to a pt. Knee replacements seem to go smoothly IF you do the PT correctly.

pjprokop

NRA Benefactor Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    New right knee on 21 November. Everyone said it would hurt and rehab would take longer than expected. They were correct. Still doing twice weekly PT and improving every day, but still a ways away from "normal" function.

big boo

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Had my rt. knee scoped and cleaned up, lasted about a year. Then i tried the synvic injections, they did nothing for me. Knee replaced at 50, I'm 61 now and it has been great. I wish i would have done it sooner. I've had many ortho problems: 2 back surgeries, 1 shoulder surgery, 2 knee surgeries, 1 wrist surgery and 3 ankle surgeries and countless injections and physical therapy session. Get that knee replaced!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Fella I hunt with had both knees done. Bigger fella too. Once he healed up, he was back to going up and down all these hills at our camp in Mississippi. He gets around alot. Even been doing DIY Colorado Elk hunts and did 70 miles walking this year's hunt.

He did say he can't get on his knees and doesn't have the full range of motion he had. It's not bad though.

Top Bottom