Background check delay to purchase new handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr70895

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    I've purchased 3 handguns in the past all have background check Delay. After I think 7 days or so I was able to pick up the gun.

On Jan 1 I bought a S&W 9MM Shield from Bass Pro Shop and as expected on Delay. Now apparently Bass Pro no longer follows the Brady Law bill and will not allow me to pick up my gun until they get the written approval back.

Does anyone know how long that actually takes? I'm almost tempted to cancel and buy from another dealer that follows the Brady Law, at least I can get it in 7 days.

I have no idea whats on my background causing the delay and it appears to be a major event to find out. I've just accepted and waited. I've had several background checks in the past that are work related with no issue and a TWIC Card, so it must not be that bad.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I think I would cancel and purchase from a local shop. Do you have your CHP?

Just an opinion, but I’d cancel on principle.
    It’s the vendor’s right to dictate policy, no harm there; it’s the buyers right to spend their money wherever they desire.
    I’d find a local vendor who aligns with your wants and needs.
    Money, like it or not, is a vote.
    You either support the business or go elsewhere.

Just my .02...

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    During one of the lawsuits filed by the PAC my stepdad works with, it was discovered several people had “delay” issues due to shared names or possible SSN fraud. Some simply had the same name as someone on a prohibited list, or a no-fly list, or a wait / notify list... and a few others had had their identities stolen and SSNs being used in another state. If this has been going for a while, I’d request a credit report from one of the three agencies (you can get one free from each per year) and make sure there isn’t some “oopsie” being held against you.

I’ve only ever had one delay a long time ago. I didn’t put my SSN on a 4473 and forgot to check the suffix box. It flagged because someone with the same name was a registered voter in another state (my dad; I’m a Jr).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I've purchased 3 handguns in the past all have background check Delay. After I think 7 days or so I was able to pick up the gun.

On Jan 1 I bought a S&W 9MM Shield from Bass Pro Shop and as expected on Delay. Now apparently Bass Pro no longer follows the Brady Law bill and will not allow me to pick up my gun until they get the written approval back.

Does anyone know how long that actually takes? I'm almost tempted to cancel and buy from another dealer that follows the Brady Law, at least I can get it in 7 days.

I have no idea whats on my background causing the delay and it appears to be a major event to find out. I've just accepted and waited. I've had several background checks in the past that are work related with no issue and a TWIC Card, so it must not be that bad.

Definately go through the process to get your UPIN. I went through it many years ago because of getting delays all the time. It takes a while for processing but they will give you a UPIN or will tell you in detail what the issue is. I got involved with an FFL who I used often when I put a large deposit down on a pricey handgun and got a deny [my one and only]. He would NOT sell me the handgun, return it to the distributer, return my deposit, or put it on the shelf to sell to someone else. It took a year and a half to finally get my deposit money back.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The ATF a few years ago changed the way they issue UPIN numbers. When I applied for one many years back, you got the paperwork filled it out and sent it back and waited 10 months for me. Now, you can’t even get the paperwork until your denied. Never got a reason for the change, it is a Federal Government agency, they pretty much do as they please.

As for Blue Diamond, that should have been discussed before putting down money. If you order something odd or expensive the wholesaler might not take it back and the retailer shouldn’t be stuck trying to sell the item. It’s a bad deal all the way around but the dealer might not be able cover the cost of that item.

Bryan

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I used to get delayed on every purchase. I don't know if it is because I have a TWIC or if it because my brother is a convicted felon. I got a CHP and now it is automatic.

atonguis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Central, LA
    Wait, I don't understand. What 7 day delay? When did that become a thing here in Louisiana? I remember one time in 1990 ish, I bought a Taurus PT92 from a gun show and had to wait 3 days for it but that was the only time I had to wait. I have bought 4 pistols in the last 6 months all from box stores and walked out with the pistol and ammo, the last purchase was 3 weeks ago. Did something change and now we have to wait ?

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Wait, I don't understand. What 7 day delay? When did that become a thing here in Louisiana? I remember one time in 1990 ish, I bought a Taurus PT92 from a gun show and had to wait 3 days for it but that was the only time I had to wait. I have bought 4 pistols in the last 6 months all from box stores and walked out with the pistol and ammo, the last purchase was 3 weeks ago. Did something change and now we have to wait ?

It's a Basspro/Walmart/Academy/Box store thing. They will not release a firearm to the purchaser until they get a proceed and it'll take as long as it takes until they get this proceed or the 30day time limit runs out and you have start all over. I have bought a shotgun at a Walmart and got delayed. I went to another Walmart and bought the same gun and went right through. I was actually nice and informed the other Walmart that I no longer wanted that shotgun at that store so they could put it back on rack for another purchaser. Walmart does not accept payment for the firearm until it clears the background check so no issues about return of any money. I could have just let it expire or even if they called me later and said it had proceeded and just not go back and get it. They will hold the gun for 30 days until your background check is proceeded or expires.

atonguis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Central, LA
    It's a Basspro/Walmart/Academy/Box store thing. They will not release a firearm to the purchaser until they get a proceed and it'll take as long as it takes until they get this proceed or the 30day time limit runs out and you have start all over. I have bought a shotgun at a Walmart and got delayed. I went to another Walmart and bought the same gun and went right through. I was actually nice and informed the other Walmart that I no longer wanted that shotgun at that store so they could put it back on rack for another purchaser. Walmart does not accept payment for the firearm until it clears the background check so no issues about return of any money. I could have just let it expire or even if they called me later and said it had proceeded and just not go back and get it. They will hold the gun for 30 days until your background check is proceeded or expires.

Well ever since Walmart quit selling hadgun ammo, I have no respect for them, I questioned them extensively on this and why they would make such a stupid move (yes I said it that way) they proceeded to tell me they are trying to stop shootings and when they had a shooting in a Walmart that was the final straw. I guess the look on my face said it all when they asked me why, you don't want to stop all the violence? I said, Please tell me you are not that delusional as to believe you can stop violence by not selling AR rounds and handgun rounds? Then they got defensive, I said look I am sorry but ignorance I can deal with, stupidity I cannot.

Last 3 pistols I bought was from Academy and I walked out with those, last one was 3 weeks ago. So, I guess I dont understand the whole wait thing, unless your name is flagged for some reason or another. The manager at Academy asked me if I had a TWIC card, I said yes and he said well lets see what comes up. Did his little scan took like 10 min and said ok your good to go, want any ammo? Walked the gun and I had the ammo up to the front and I payed and walked out.

lane

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    zachary, la.
    I had issues purchasing a shotgun at Bass Pro also. It was quite evident that the clerk and the manager do not know gun laws / rights. I bought my Hellcat at Jims and never had a problem.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    There are many reasons one might experience a delay, even a denial.

The Delay is for three working days. That does not include the day the check was called in, or the day the firearm can be transferred, so without weekends, or holidays it will work out to be five days. Delayed on a Monday, pick it up on the next Friday. Delayed on a Tuesday, the next Monday.

The absolute best way to avoid problems is to get a concealed handgun permit good for five years.

You can also apply for a UPIN, here, https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/n...inal-background-check-system-nics-appeals-vaf

You are going to need the last NICS transaction number, (NTN), which you can get from Bass Pro. You are also going to need finger print cards.

Most of these big box stores won't notify you if you do receive a proceed, unless you call and pester them.

Top Bottom