Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko68 View Post
    Practice shooting, practice drawing, and practice it again and again. Know your limits and capabilities.
    All well said, and this is the perfect summary. Seen plenty of well trained gunfighters turn into statues when it becomes a two way rifle range. Stood next to a SEAL in Afghanistan who ejected a full mag, reloaded, charged, and started pulling the trigger again - but never took the safety off.

Before it happens is the time to have that “come to Jesus” talk with the person in the mirror and decide if you (not you specifically; “you” generally) are actually capable of AND willing to end another human being’s life. Some perfectly competent marksmen aren’t but they fail to have that very honest conversation with themselves until they realize they’re in a sheepdog or wolfhound role but they don’t have the teeth to back up the growl.

I’ve known plenty of green-suit and blue-line folks who’ll throw down like nobody’s business and scrap like a junkyard dog but admit they’re not sure they’d be able to shoot someone. It ain’t a stain I’d wish on anyone’s soul...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El Pozzinator View Post
    And for the love of Pete, neutrals should NOT, under ANY circumstance, be breaking leather in the crowd. That’s how a congregant catches a bullet from a uniformed officer who didn’t know they were a neutral. Never mind the legal complications...
    No. Just no. Unless there was an officer working a detail on site or just happened to be driving by, their response time would be minutes. And any uniformed officer who walked into that situation at any point past 20 seconds after the first shot was fired would not mistake a neutral for a perpetrator.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    No. Just no. Unless there was an officer working a detail on site or just happened to be driving by, their response time would be minutes. And any uniformed officer who walked into that situation at any point past 20 seconds after the first shot was fired would not mistake a neutral for a perpetrator.
    Thumbs up Perez. You could argue there is no such thing as a *neutral*. There are only sides of the fight, and it is a fight for all the marbles. As most of us see it in this instance the parishioners, security detail, and law enforcement would all be on the same side. I know it may seem like an over-simplification but there are only good guys and bad guys in these scenarios. Threats to bodily harm...and everyone else. It obviously is sticky and imperfect, but I would argue it is your moral duty to slap leather in that church if you were carrying. I think we are just discussing how the best case scenario could have played out and techniques to get there.

Banned

User Info Menu

I take no issue with how the security team at the church responded at all after things started going bang. What I take issue with is the action that failed to take place before things started going bang, and the missed opportunities.