Made it to the end

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Well today was the last day of rifle season for me. I saw a grand total of two deer the whole season and didn’t kill any. I hunted about 7-8 times which I’m grateful for, but the weather was just too good during most of the season and the deer just never really moved like they usually do. They also had plenty of food in the woods so they didn’t have to go very far to eat. I also had a lot of irons in the fire and didn’t hunt as must as I could of. My Jeep rebuild took up a good part of the season and I put that ahead of hunting as I need to get the project done. I also enjoy working on the Jeep so it didn’t take a lot of arm twisting for me to put the Jeep project over hunting. As I was leaving my old stand I took a few pictures of it as this is probably the last year we will hunt out of it as it needs to be rebuilt. We are going to make it bigger and more comfortable. My oldest son killed his first deer out of this stand so we have fond memories of it. I also took a shot of the view looking out towards the west. I’ll still hunt some rabbits and maybe some squirrels so I still have a little time left in the woods. Hope everyone had a great season and remember to get your kids in the woods.
    7f32ef5d680a2f52eea6bd915e8b6130.jpg
    a776c812a9dd49049624d959f281b0cd.jpg
    92e659a44e9da9ab0efcc63e3a37bbe9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You’ll prolly have a bang up season next year! The good part is it comes around every year. I remember a warm season years ago when we just got almost zero cold weather. I think I hunted twice for deer that season but I ran lines with a buddy and also fished for sac-a-lait through deer season and wound up with a freezer full of fish. My hunting highlight that year was a 2 day weekend rabbit hunt with dogs where we mopped up and a day of quail shooting up in Clayton. Didn’t see one deer that season but it was a good year.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    We have one more weekend up here it’s been a grind the last three weeks the wind and the rain have kind of made it a ghost-town. But yesterday was a hoot. I had heard turkey since day-break and watched several gobblers from 250-300 yards. I’m a big goober and enjoy making animal sounds with my mouth. Well I couldn’t help but antagonize them. I got one to respond and he charged me from across two creeks and 250 yards. I’ve only seen turkeys do that on film. Later it rained and the turkeys roosted in the trees and I could hear them clucking and purring, so I gave it a go again. Well I brought several in it’s a shame it wasn’t turkey season. Let me tell you it was the most fun I’ve had in the woods since my wife shot a buck (her first deer) the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    One last weekend of Primitive for me....then, probably a couple weekends of hog slaughter before it warms up too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Sounds like fond memories. I too did not have a productive hint this year. I saw one but no kills. Well - better luck next year.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    It’s not about the kill, it’s about the memories for me. So far year I have made 30 hunts and seen 58 deer. I have only taken one doe early in bow season. My daughter has started hunt with me again after she to a hiatus because of college and Optomitry school. I would much rather see her kill a deer than myself. She hasn’t killed yet this year as she is being selective. She has gotten past the *must kill something* mindset to really enjoying the time in the woods.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    It’s not about the kill, it’s about the memories for me. So far year I have made 30 hunts and seen 58 deer. I have only taken one doe early in bow season. My daughter has started hunt with me again after she to a hiatus because of college and Optomitry school. I would much rather see her kill a deer than myself. She hasn’t killed yet this year as she is being selective. She has gotten past the *must kill something* mindset to really enjoying the time in the woods.

Well I would be lying if I said it wasn’t about the killing or at least possible killing for me. It’s more than just the killing that defines hunting, but at the end of the day killing is the lunch-pin that makes it hunting. It may be about being in nature, enjoying the quiet, getting meat to feed the family, or collecting bones to hang on the wall. But without killing you could satisfy those urges more efficiently. Let’s be honest you could buy a processed cow for the caring cost surrounding the hobby.

It may be all of those things but at our core we are primal beings and killing animals is in our DNA (figuratively of course I don’t think there is any specific genome). I think of the big cats that are captured or rescued. The longer they are fed and not allowed to hunt and kill their prey it’s like the spark in their eyes just fades. Ordinary house cats and domestic dogs find themselves in trouble acting on their instinct to hunt and kill.

The industrial revolution has raised the standards of health and wealth but it has separated us from some of our natural behaviors. Clearly I geek out on this stuff but for me hunting is some weird combination between, hobby, therapy and religious experience, maybe some of you guys aren’t as nutty as I am.

Bullydog2726

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2020
    Gulfport
    Seems like a tough season. My son was fortunate to get a nice 10 opening of youth. I enjoy getting on a tractor, planting plot and running cameras just as much a hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom