Ham Radio operators in B.R.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    Any Ham radio guys in Baton Rouge or Hammond area?

I'm interested in someone familiar with the BaoFeng UV-5R. Two-way radios are needed for work and we already use my VHF radios. They work well enough but sometimes I need to talk with the dispatcher at the Sheriff's office. The UV-5R seems to fill the bill but I don't know if they can be programed for the police band.

Why doesn't the St. Helena Sheriff's Dept supply them you might ask? Short answer; they're foolishly tight with money. Actually, they're brutally far on the dumb side of tight and nothing is going to change in the near future.

I have a lot of VHF radio experience and a radio operator's license as I was a boat captain for a long time but no familiarity with any other kind of radio. I have no problem getting any required Ham license but don't think it would be necessary being a Sheriff's Deputy. It would still be a good idea and can certainly be done.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not a Ham, but somewhat knowledgeable about radios. A quick search shows that the UV-5R will transmit/receive the frequencies used by the St Helena Sheriff's Office. What I don't know, and you need to find out, is what frequencies they use and if they simply use fixed channels (frequencies). A lot of radio systems these days are trunking systems, and radios can change frequencies. In other words it's not just Channel A, Channel B, etc. Also, law enforcement systems can be encrypted as well.

Like when you are having a conversation on your cell phone, you have no idea, but it can change frequencies many times in the middle of the call. The system knows to keep you and the other party connected, but the actual frequencies/channels can jump around.

Now if they're as cheap as you say they are, that might not be the case there, and you can simply program the radio for the channel or channels needed.

I am not giving you an opinion on the legality of you operating that radio for that purpose. While probably not legal technically, if you are a deputy using it on duty, I doubt anyone will come after you.

Last edited:

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    I'm familiar with CTCSS and DCS and figured it's what they used. A Ham who lives in the area would probably know.
    Asking anyone at work how their radios work would be fruitless and frustrating. All anyone would know is you push a button to talk and listen to what comes out of the speaker. They might be able to diagnose a dead battery but it's unlikely

I do have a frequency counter and can tell what freq they transmit on and if they use a trunking system. No CTCSS decoder though. Even if I knew the CTCSS code, can the BF UV-5R be programmed for it?

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    it appears that the BaoFeng UV-5R is VERY BROADBANDED meaning that it is possible it could be programed for those work frequencies.... but will it be legal to do so is up in in the air as to whether it has been TYPE ACCEPTED BY THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS FOR USE ON PUBLIC SERVICE FREQUENCIES.... IF not and by using them and interference is created then that opens up a big can of worms for both the user and the work location.... does the work location have some type of service contract with someone that would not allow any other equipment to be used on a system that is under a service contract...... I know of some officers (police/fire) in the past who have used personaly owned ham radios (some were ham operators) to be used while on and off duty in their work duties..... but maybe if those in charge choose to turn their heads and look the other way just be careful out there..... tnx for your service ............................................drill sgt.

Top Bottom