Nikon not making riflescopes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Looks like the lefties have invaded Nikon’s Executive office...
    I’m sure they’ll fall the way of Dick’s Sporting Goods for this.
    Be on the lookout for some close out sales I guess, then for the prices to escalate just because they won’t be available. I’ll miss the Nikon line but I think it’s a laugh riot that they would take such a hit to profits for the anti gun/PETA agenda. If I was a shareholder I’d be busting a move about now..

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/g...YBbwjwaSyhaqJP8SFhxNuMZhXXuFkq9hR5I2TXgKTgAgs

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Pity.
    I do like their P-Tac series for less expensive rifle builds.
    Oh well, they have to go in the direction they feel best for their brand.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    That’s a shame. They have some of the most budget minded scopes (that would warrant consideration) you will find. I guess Vortex will get more of my money. They make some good stuff for the money too.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That’s a shame. They have some of the most budget minded scopes (that would warrant consideration) you will find. I guess Vortex will get more of my money. They make some good stuff for the money too.
    I immediately thought that Vortex will benefit the most from this mistake on Nikon’s part. If I was an exec at Vortex I’d be throwing a going away party for Nikon and welcoming in their slice of the pie.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Looks like the lefties have invaded Nikon’s Executive office...
    I’m sure they’ll fall the way of Dick’s Sporting Goods for this.
    Be on the lookout for some close out sales I guess, then for the prices to escalate just because they won’t be available. I’ll miss the Nikon line but I think it’s a laugh riot that they would take such a hit to profits for the anti gun/PETA agenda. If I was a shareholder I’d be busting a move about now..

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/g...YBbwjwaSyhaqJP8SFhxNuMZhXXuFkq9hR5I2TXgKTgAgs

Ha, Their 1 repair center is in Commiefornia, Gud luck getting a for real rifle scope repaired....

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The market for budget optics is flooded and it's a smart move in my opinion.

TTAG spoke to Nikon’s advertising agency who confirmed the news. We’re told that this is a business decision Nikon has made based on their position in the highly competitive optics market.

Nikon isn’t getting out of the outdoor optics business, though. The good news is they will continue to produce their excellent spotting scopes, rangefinders and binoculars.

- - - Updated - - -

I immediately thought that Vortex will benefit the most from this mistake on Nikon’s part.

I can assure you it's not a mistake.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The market for budget optics is flooded and it's a smart move in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I can assure you it's not a mistake.

It’s no doubt a calculated decision. I don’t know what calculations went into that decision, so I won’t say it’s a good or bad move monetarily, but to walk away from a revenue stream like their rifle scopes, they are playing something close to the vest. Either they will have a big announcement that they expect to more than make up for the rifle scopes or the rifle scopes are loosing money.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It’s no doubt a calculated decision. I don’t know what calculations went into that decision, so I won’t say it’s a good or bad move monetarily, but to walk away from a revenue stream like their rifle scopes, they are playing something close to the vest. Either they will have a big announcement that they expect to more than make up for the rifle scopes or the rifle scopes are loosing money.

I think there are more people that assume it was a money maker than people who realize they didn't sell well. I can't tell you the last time I saw someone using a budget optic made by Nikon. The guy who buys one P223 in a ten year span might be satisfied with his purchase, but he is not making much money for Nikon.

Vortex has taken over the budget optics market and their warranty is near impossible to beat. Anyone not willing to spend the money for Vortex is likely buying whatever is available at the local department store.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I think there are more people that assume it was a money maker than people who realize they didn't sell well. I can't tell you the last time I saw someone using a budget optic made by Nikon. The guy who buys one P223 in a ten year span might be satisfied with his purchase, but he is not making much money for Nikon.

Vortex has taken over the budget optics market and their warranty is near impossible to beat. Anyone not willing to spend the money for Vortex is likely buying whatever is available at the local department store.

They sell a lot of scopes. I have no complaints with mine they make an exceptional product for the money and would buy many more for the same purposes. The buckmaster II I have isn’t my favorite scope but it’s tried and true and the clarity far exceeds the price point. I know tons of folks who own buckmasters, pro staffs and monarchs. It doesn’t have to be a shimdt and bender for 99% of rifle shooters.

There’s a lot of brands out there making chick$hit dressing it up with target turrets and calling it chickensalad. If that is what you are looking for you can expect trash on the lower end price point almost with out fail.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    They sell a lot of scopes. I have no complaints with mine they make an exceptional product for the money and would buy many more for the same purposes. The buckmaster II I have isn’t my favorite scope but it’s tried and true and the clarity far exceeds the price point. I know tons of folks who own buckmasters, pro staffs and monarchs. It doesn’t have to be a shimdt and bender for 99% of rifle shooters.

There’s a lot of brands out there making chick$hit dressing it up with target turrets and calling it chickensalad. If that is what you are looking for you can expect trash on the lower end price point almost with out fail.

Selling "a lot of scopes" with a 10-15% profit margin isn't making as much as another brand selling 1/2 as many scopes with a 60% profit margin.

I'd be willing to be that Vortex sells as many, if not more scopes than Nikon annually. Vortex offers scopes from $100 to over $2000, so they are competing in nearly every price point. Nikon is not only competing with Vortex, but with the likes of Simmons, Truglo, Leupold, Bushnell, and BSA. It's a saturated market and Nikon is probably doing well putting that money elsewhere. Just remember, they are only discontinuing rifle scopes. They still offer other optics.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Agreed. And while Nikon does indeed make some budget scopes if folks wanna call them that, what they really did was create a few lines of scopes that cover the majority of the market. The Prostaff and P-series line is more budget oriented while the Monarch and M-series is definitely pushing toward the upper tier of rifle scopes in quality, although they’re not up there with the top of the line stuff, but the sales for $600-$5000 scopes aren’t exactly a huge slice of the pie. They just aren’t. Nikon covered the market well and unless they made a huge mistake in setting a price point that was below profit margin (I seriously doubt it), they’re likely falling into a political trap that will cost them money. I don’t have to research sales for all the major optics manufacturers to know that Nikon has been enjoying a huge slice of that pie. Anyone who thinks different is just thinking different. Vortex is definitely up and coming but I’ll bet their sales still have not approached Nikon’s. That being said, they’ll definitely benefit from Nikon’s surrender of their share of that market.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Selling "a lot of scopes" with a 10-15% profit margin isn't making as much as another brand selling 1/2 as many scopes with a 60% profit margin.

I'd be willing to be that Vortex sells as many, if not more scopes than Nikon annually. Vortex offers scopes from $100 to over $2000, so they are competing in nearly every price point. Nikon is not only competing with Vortex, but with the likes of Simmons, Truglo, Leupold, Bushnell, and BSA. It's a saturated market and Nikon is probably doing well putting that money elsewhere. Just remember, they are only discontinuing rifle scopes. They still offer other optics.

I think you are help my position that they make quality budget minded product which is unfortunately probably not as profitable. I like Vortex but from my experience you have to jump over the base line scopes to get the same clarity you get with my buckmaster. If I can catch a deal on a Nikon I will probably snag one up.

They also my a great budget conscience set of knockers. Hopefully it’s profitable, but I doubt they sell nearly as many of those as they do the scopes. So I’ll have to keep an eye on these developments.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think you are help my position that they make quality budget minded product which is unfortunately probably not as profitable. I like Vortex but from my experience you have to jump over the base line scopes to get the same clarity you get with my buckmaster. If I can catch a deal on a Nikon I will probably snag one up.

They also my a great budget conscience set of knockers. Hopefully it’s profitable, but I doubt they sell nearly as many of those as they do the scopes. So I’ll have to keep an eye on these developments.

The optics Nikon offers on the higher end of their line are not the money makers. It seems that some people cling to their purchases, which is fine, but at the end of the day, if it were more profitable, they would not be discontinuing the product line. Buckmaster optics are cheap. I won't argue clarity differences between Nikon and Vortex at that price point, because I think they are equally as bad. They fit a niche market. That market CAN be profitable if the margins are there. In Nikon's case, they may not have been there.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Agreed. And while Nikon does indeed make some budget scopes if folks wanna call them that, what they really did was create a few lines of scopes that cover the majority of the market. The Prostaff and P-series line is more budget oriented while the Monarch and M-series is definitely pushing toward the upper tier of rifle scopes in quality, although they’re not up there with the top of the line stuff, but the sales for $600-$5000 scopes aren’t exactly a huge slice of the pie. They just aren’t. Nikon covered the market well and unless they made a huge mistake in setting a price point that was below profit margin (I seriously doubt it), they’re likely falling into a political trap that will cost them money. I don’t have to research sales for all the major optics manufacturers to know that Nikon has been enjoying a huge slice of that pie. Anyone who thinks different is just thinking different. Vortex is definitely up and coming but I’ll bet their sales still have not approached Nikon’s. That being said, they’ll definitely benefit from Nikon’s surrender of their share of that market.

One thing to keep in mind is they offered a lot of ‘value added’ items to there scopes BDC calculator on their website, no fault warranty. I don’t know the ends and out of there company but I would wager something isn’t adding up to proper margins to keep the shareholders happy. It will be a loss to the shooting community.

Your argument that they fell prey to the wacko leftists isn’t entirely improbable either. I’ve heard of no attempts to scale back their offerings to streamline their lineup and boy do they have a selection. If profits are a concern that is usually a company’s first plan of attack.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The optics Nikon offers on the higher end of their line are not the money makers. It seems that some people cling to their purchases, which is fine, but at the end of the day, if it were more profitable, they would not be discontinuing the product line. Buckmaster optics are cheap. I won't argue clarity differences between Nikon and Vortex at that price point, because I think they are equally as bad. They fit a niche market. That market CAN be profitable if the margins are there. In Nikon's case, they may not have been there.

I wouldn’t call that a niche market. The most sold rifles today are the bottom of the barrel bolt guns. The buckmaster line isn’t their bottom tier but it’s close, and there a thousands of them out there on deer rifles. It’s a good enough scope to get the job done but it’s cheap enough that you don’t feel the need to baby it. Regardless of your and my opinion of lower end gear, the Orange Army buys more than the tactical guys, by a wide margin and the Orange Army aren’t normally gun gurus. I’ve said many times that my buckmaster is the lowest grade scope I’ll own from here on out but it’s no doubt perfect for the jobs I ask of it.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I wouldn’t call that a niche market. The most sold rifles today are the bottom of the barrel bolt guns. The buckmaster line isn’t their bottom tier but it’s close, and there a thousands of them out there on deer rifles. It’s a good enough scope to get the job done but it’s cheap enough that you don’t feel the need to baby it. Regardless of your and my opinion of lower end gear, the Orange Army buys more than the tactical guys, by a wide margin and the Orange Army aren’t normally gun gurus. I’ve said many times that my buckmaster is the lowest grade scope I’ll own from here on out but it’s no doubt perfect for the jobs I ask of it.

I've already stated and have no doubt in my mind about the volume of sales from sub $200 optics. I've also previously stated that that market is saturated. Nikon probably couldn't compete any longer or saw the writing on the wall.

By the way, the majority of Vortex optics are for the "Orange Army."

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I've already stated and have no doubt in my mind about the volume of sales from sub $200 optics. I've also previously stated that that market is saturated. Nikon probably couldn't compete any longer or saw the writing on the wall.

By the way, the majority of Vortex optics are for the "Orange Army."

They do have some nice scopes at vortex. I been pleased with them. My exception has been what seems like an opinion based in ignorance on the quality of Nikons products. You are right the rifle scope market has be came extremely crowded. There is all kinds of junk out there that ain’t worth the aluminum and glass used to make them, but my experience has been that most of Nikons line is the wheat mixed in with all the chaft.

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Comparing a Vortex Crossfire II and a Nikon Buckmaster or P-Series, glass is significantly better on the Nikons.

Nikon probably did decent sales in the $100-$200 range, but not anywhere else. They sort of adapted and re-imaged the brand too late-tactical, exposed turrets style.

M-Series and Black (not that the scopes were terrible) were a major flop

Top Bottom