Help Me Find The Serviceman That Lost His Multi-Tool

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Last weekend the family and I spent a couple days in Destin, FL. I went on a solo trip to the grocery off the insane US-Hwy 98. As I was leaving the parking lot to turn onto 98 I noticed a multi-tool laying on the ground directly in front of me. It was about two feet off the highway.

Figuring I'd save it from it's inevitable death on Hwy 98 I hopped out and snatched it up. I noticed it was a Gerber but I was blocking in a soccer mom that was clearly late for her appointment to save the world. I mindlessly tossed it in the back and moved on. I completely forgot about it until this morning and dug it out.

I noticed it had some odd tools and features so I turned to Google to ID its function. Turns out this multi-tool is specifically designed for combat engineers working with explosives. It is also one of Gerber's more expensive multi-tools.

I immediately realized that some service member forked out his hard-earned cash to buy this so he can do his job while serving our country. If at all possible I'd like to find its owner and return it. Unfortunately I have no clue how/where to start.

It has a little road-rash but is in overall great condition. Clearly it was not out there for long. It is definitely worth returning.

All I have to go on is that it was lost in Destin. Considering how many bases are in the area, I assume it belongs to someone stationed there. I have been impressed by the detective work by many of the BS members here so I'm looking for a little direction.

If I can't find it's owner I'd like to offer it up to any combat engineers on this forum.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Trying to return it is mighty Wight of you.

Does it have any identifiable name, initials, man-made markings?

Destin's local newspaper (Lost & Found).

Call the main base and ask if they have any mechanism for lost and found?

Get $20 bucks from Austin, and post it in Craigslist over there! :mamoru:

Register for free in Nextdoor of Destin.

If you give it an honest effort and find no takers, I would say it is yours to do what you want with it.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Trying to return it is mighty Wight of you.

Does it have any identifiable name, initials, man-made markings?

Yeah, this is tough. But some poor guy forked out a pretty penny for this thing. Other than road rash there is nothing to ID it from others.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Whelp, I just spoke with a retired combat engineer I know through work. He knew exactly what tool I had. He said they are standard issue and has likely been replaced already.

He then told me I’ll never find its owner and I’m wasting my time. :eek3:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I said a "typical" dirt bag. You are talking about "semi-skilled" dirt bags.

Well if you need some we are laying off. They are highly skilled at riding the clock, taking smoke breaks every hour, &itching and whining about how there buddies check was 5 cents higher. There’s some good ones too but we want those guys to stay normally.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well if you need some we are laying off. They are highly skilled at riding the clock, taking smoke breaks every hour, &itching and whining about how there buddies check was 5 cents higher. There’s some good ones too but we want those guys to stay normally.

I'm good! I already have my own semi-sacks of ****. But, thanks for the offer!

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Many thank you"s for trying to find the owner of the Gerber multi-tool.... probably a lost cause but it is the thought that counts... and if it is/was a issued item then there was some type request for re-issue of said equipment .. hope that it was not a big deal.... I know from my ARMY time it could be a royal pain to replace lost equipment .............................................................drill sgt.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Whelp, I just spoke with a retired combat engineer I know through work. He knew exactly what tool I had. He said they are standard issue and has likely been replaced already.

He then told me I’ll never find its owner and I’m wasting my time. :eek3:

Yep, probably was issued and he has a new one. Being observant paid off with a nice multi tool for yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yep, probably was issued and he has a new one. Being observant paid off with a nice multi tool for yourself

While driving back and forth from fishing and/or duck hunting, we'd find all kinds of unsecured stuff that blew out of peoples trucks and boats. Life jackets, nets, fishing poles, ice chests, etc. We called it; "Treasure!"

Think of heading to a boat launch like hunting on a deer trail. We all are towing boats in basically the same routes to basically the same launches.

One time coming back from a duck hunt, I noticed a dude's entire lanyard of freshly killed ducks on the shoulder of I-10. They were delicious! :chuckles:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom