Shoulder holster opinions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How do you conceal that in the summer time?

An unbuttoned button up shirt with the cuffs rolled up a little. Something like the one below worn in a similar way. I'd suggest something a little darker in a plaid pattern to help break up any printing. It should be a relaxed cut with a little thicker material.

Soft-wash_Ocean_port_blue_frnt_edit2_59cc930e-c1f5-4e7a-bfa4-c065a2afd228_1000x.jpg

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Thanks guys this has been helpful. I appreciate the advice! To answer the questions yall had... I carried a full size 1911 which i think is part of where my issues came from. Typically carried a leather OWB when out or a safari land OWB retention when on my property. Ive tried every belt made it seems like. Also tried the bellyband with a Kahr 380 and it I have a tad too much gut for it. That and my old lady calling it a girdle were enough to decide against it . Gonna give yalls suggestions a shot

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks guys this has been helpful. I appreciate the advice! To answer the questions yall had... I carried a full size 1911 which i think is part of where my issues came from. Typically carried a leather OWB when out or a safari land OWB retention when on my property. Ive tried every belt made it seems like. Also tried the bellyband with a Kahr 380 and it I have a tad too much gut for it. That and my old lady calling it a girdle were enough to decide against it . Gonna give yalls suggestions a shot
    Yeah, I'd recommend carrying something thinner and lighter. I'm a big fan of the SIG P365 XL, which holds 12+1 and is relatively light.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Thanks guys this has been helpful. I appreciate the advice! To answer the questions yall had... I carried a full size 1911 which i think is part of where my issues came from. Typically carried a leather OWB when out or a safari land OWB retention when on my property. Ive tried every belt made it seems like. Also tried the bellyband with a Kahr 380 and it I have a tad too much gut for it. That and my old lady calling it a girdle were enough to decide against it ����. Gonna give yalls suggestions a shot

Just an FYI, a loaded Glock 42 weighs 1 lb. I just weighed mine loaded with HST and it's 1 lb 0.3 oz with a standard magazine.

My G17 weighs 2 lbs 0.8 oz loaded.

A typical 1911 weighs anywhere from 40-50 oz loaded, basically 3 lbs.

Last edited:

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Andrews Custom Leather makes the Monarch shoulder holster rig. I consider it the best I've ever seen/worn.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Just to add options....

Kangaroo Carry

You have a farm? How about pocket carry with overalls? I started wearing overalls about 5 years ago and it's about all I wear now. It'll put the load on your shoulders.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    From Galco: Miami Classic, Miami Classic II, Jackass Rig.

There's also the Classic Lite for quite a bit less (Galco as well).

Today they are doing 15 prct off. Plus free shipping.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Wanted to add.. when I've worn shoulder rigs it was usually under a shirt with the snap buttons, or under some sort of outer garment. They are very very nice

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    When I was assigned to DEA Task Force 20 years ago, I used to wear a Jackass rig from Galco (at some point they renamed it the Miami Vice or Miami Classic or some **** because Don Johnson wore one on Miami Vice).

It was super ****ing comfortable. I carried an HK USP 40 full-size with two spare mags and a pair of cuffs on my other side and it balanced well. Draw was fairly quick once you get used to it. I’ve always had shoulders that were significantly wider than my waist (42-28 back then—-not quite that big a differential now, LOL) and I wore the holster rig loosely enough that the gun was positioned horizontally just above my belt. It had a bit of swing which kept it from printing but when you drew it the back strap stopped the holster from moving.

I kept a raid vest and a thigh rig (and a shotgun) in the trunk of my G ride for entries but for normal use (sitting at a desk writing reports or in a car doing surveillance) I can’t imagine anything more comfortable.

They always made us stay completely concealed and so I would often wear a button down print shirt and tuck it in. Blouse it a little at the waist and although it made me look a little heavier/sloppier than I was, it was well concealed but fast to reach. Others may have different views but I carried like this daily for well over a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSST8DOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Shoulder holster to alleviate pain.

It seems the issue isn't where he's carrying it. Based on his post, the issue is the added weight. Since stuff in his pocket causes the problem due to the weight, I wouldn't think appendix carry would make the firearm lighter.

I agree with the post about suspenders... Also, that may actually relieve the weight at the belt line and resolve the pain issue with a normal side-carry holster.

I would try wearing some of the wide elastic suspenders and see if it helps before switching to a shoulder holster.
    I have some that are 2 inches wide and I wear them to help support tool pouches on my hips and it works great. I think you could hook the clamps to the belt close to the holster mount point and get some relief. Anyway, it is worth a try.

That is my .02 worth of genius...

Top Bottom