Shoulder holster opinions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Was wondering what y'alls thoughts were on shoulder holsters. Particularly for daily carry. My sciatica wont allow for belt or pocket carry anymore so it seems I'm stuck with shoulder holsters. And if you guys have any suggestions regarding training with this kind of rig or for holster makers I'm all ears.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I don't know but thought it would be great for long walks in the woods/ hunting sidearms. I have 2 Miami Classics one for 1911 and one for Sigs {but will work with S&W 3rd Gens} even have extra Holsters for carrying 2 guns or as tey come with Mag holders.
    They also make a tie-down to keep them in place.
    To me would be only a Winter Carry item where a Jacket can be used. That is unless you wear a suit?
    Or I could get a white jacket and play around like Don J.
    I like the way they fit and are made well.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    They are known for creating myriad safety issues, including sweeping/flagging nearly 180 degrees before getting on target. Most ranges and classes will not let you use them either, so you'll need to do all practice in a dry-fire home environment, unless you have land to shoot on. Your draw will be much longer also. Also much easier for attacker to get your gun from you. Can't draw while prone. Requires multiple layers of garments to conceal.... etc.

If it's a last resort, I get it, but there's a reason that almost no one outside of military setting uses them.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If it's a last resort, I get it, but there's a reason that almost no one outside of military setting uses them.

I think the medical issue he has is the catalyst for this change.

But, besides that, if it's good enough for Sonny Crockett, it's good enough for me! (all you younguns will just have to look it up...) :dogkeke:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I think the medical issue he has is the catalyst for this change.

But, besides that, if it's good enough for Sonny Crockett, it's good enough for me! (all you younguns will just have to look it up...) :dogkeke:
    Plus you can wear a Pink Shirt, White Jacket, and Jeans and look cool! Chicks will dig ya so that's a plus
    Thus my comment above

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Was wondering what y'alls thoughts were on shoulder holsters. Particularly for daily carry. My sciatica wont allow for belt or pocket carry anymore so it seems I'm stuck with shoulder holsters. And if you guys have any suggestions regarding training with this kind of rig or for holster makers I'm all ears.

Does your sciatica prevent appendix carry?

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Yeah it seems like any kind of wieght (including stuff in my pockets) makes a good belt dig right into it. I already wear a vest on the daily so concealment hopefully won't be an issue. As far as training I do happen to be blessed with a personal range on my farm. Would a class on weapon retention cover a shoulder holster?

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah it seems like any kind of wieght (including stuff in my pockets) makes a good belt dig right into it. I already wear a vest on the daily so concealment hopefully won't be an issue. As far as training I do happen to be blessed with a personal range on my farm. Would a class on weapon retention cover a shoulder holster?

If you're considering a shoulder holster, I think it would be reasonable to assume you'd wear a jacket or a vest or a shirt over the holster. Perhaps you could look into a pair of suspenders. That jacket or vest or shirt would cover the suspenders and the suspenders would transfer any added weight to the area that would carry the weight of a shoulder holster. Suspenders may give you more, and perhaps better, options.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It shouldn’t.
    Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.

@OP - Maybe give a good appendix holster a shot? I think it'd probably work a lot better than carrying at 3 o'clock and would be safer and an easier draw than a shoulder holster.

What gun are you carrying? I'm thinking something mid-sized may not put ample weight on your belt such that it'd affect your back.

Just a suggestion. If you're near FRC, they have holsters you can try out, I believe.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Is it digging in on your back that's the problem? Where were you carrying before?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I have two pinched discs, one of which pinches my sciatic nerve. Although it isn’t sciatica, I know how painful that **** is.

If I were an MD, I would have called them herniated discs, but I digress.

To add, I had to switch belts because of it. A more flexible belt alleviated the back pain.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Is it digging in on your back that's the problem? Where were you carrying before?

It seems the issue isn't where he's carrying it. Based on his post, the issue is the added weight. Since stuff in his pocket causes the problem due to the weight, I wouldn't think appendix carry would make the firearm lighter.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It seems the issue isn't where he's carrying it. Based on his post, the issue is the added weight. Since stuff in his pocket causes the problem due to the weight, I wouldn't think appendix carry would make the firearm lighter.

Appendix carrying a lighter gun with a lighter belt would help. A scandium J frame is very light.

Do you have sciatica or have you ever experienced sciatic nerve pain? It’s not pleasant. So don’t think I’m pushing some opinion on someone that they *have* to carry AIWB. When that sciatic pain hits an ankle gun is useless. I would exhaust all options before ever going to a shoulder holster. A belly band might even be an option if weight is the issue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom