Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
    certified gun nut

User Info Menu

Shoulder holster opinions

Was wondering what y'alls thoughts were on shoulder holsters. Particularly for daily carry. My sciatica wont allow for belt or pocket carry anymore so it seems I'm stuck with shoulder holsters. And if you guys have any suggestions regarding training with this kind of rig or for holster makers I'm all ears.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

I don't know but thought it would be great for long walks in the woods/ hunting sidearms. I have 2 Miami Classics one for 1911 and one for Sigs {but will work with S&W 3rd Gens} even have extra Holsters for carrying 2 guns or as tey come with Mag holders.
    They also make a tie-down to keep them in place.
    To me would be only a Winter Carry item where a Jacket can be used. That is unless you wear a suit?
    Or I could get a white jacket and play around like Don J.
    I like the way they fit and are made well.

Moving forward

User Info Menu

Have you considered appendix carry?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with a Miami classic.

Gun Trust Lawyer

Premium Member

User Info Menu

They are known for creating myriad safety issues, including sweeping/flagging nearly 180 degrees before getting on target. Most ranges and classes will not let you use them either, so you'll need to do all practice in a dry-fire home environment, unless you have land to shoot on. Your draw will be much longer also. Also much easier for attacker to get your gun from you. Can't draw while prone. Requires multiple layers of garments to conceal.... etc.

If it's a last resort, I get it, but there's a reason that almost no one outside of military setting uses them.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCcypress View Post
    If it's a last resort, I get it, but there's a reason that almost no one outside of military setting uses them.
    I think the medical issue he has is the catalyst for this change.

But, besides that, if it's good enough for Sonny Crockett, it's good enough for me! (all you younguns will just have to look it up...)

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krotsman View Post
    I think the medical issue he has is the catalyst for this change.

But, besides that, if it's good enough for Sonny Crockett, it's good enough for me! (all you younguns will just have to look it up...)
    Plus you can wear a Pink Shirt, White Jacket, and Jeans and look cool! Chicks will dig ya so that's a plus
    Thus my comment above

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SwampyDog View Post
    Was wondering what y'alls thoughts were on shoulder holsters. Particularly for daily carry. My sciatica wont allow for belt or pocket carry anymore so it seems I'm stuck with shoulder holsters. And if you guys have any suggestions regarding training with this kind of rig or for holster makers I'm all ears.
    Does your sciatica prevent appendix carry?
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

certified gun nut

User Info Menu

Yeah it seems like any kind of wieght (including stuff in my pockets) makes a good belt dig right into it. I already wear a vest on the daily so concealment hopefully won't be an issue. As far as training I do happen to be blessed with a personal range on my farm. Would a class on weapon retention cover a shoulder holster?
    Last edited by SwampyDog; January 24th, 2020 at 04:02 PM.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SwampyDog View Post
    Yeah it seems like any kind of wieght (including stuff in my pockets) makes a good belt dig right into it. I already wear a vest on the daily so concealment hopefully won't be an issue. As far as training I do happen to be blessed with a personal range on my farm. Would a class on weapon retention cover a shoulder holster?
    If you're considering a shoulder holster, I think it would be reasonable to assume you'd wear a jacket or a vest or a shirt over the holster. Perhaps you could look into a pair of suspenders. That jacket or vest or shirt would cover the suspenders and the suspenders would transfer any added weight to the area that would carry the weight of a shoulder holster. Suspenders may give you more, and perhaps better, options.