AR Pistol Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I went through all of my notes. I don't have any data on the port size for a 6" barrel. Smallest I have is 8" with a 0.076 diameter port.

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I went through all of my notes. I don't have any data on the port size for a 6" barrel. Smallest I have is 8" with a 0.76 diameter port.

I suspect that's a typo, 0.76 is an awful big port. Not gonna be much barrel left.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I didn't know I needed 300bo specific stuff to build one. I thought it was supposed to be a barrel change only kind of caliber. At least I now know what to look forward to when I finally get a chance to build mine although I do have the suppressor for it already.

Don't forget to post the results and what fixed it I am keeping an eye on the thread for future reference.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I didn't know I needed 300bo specific stuff to build one. I thought it was supposed to be a barrel change only kind of caliber. At least I now know what to look forward to when I finally get a chance to build mine although I do have the suppressor for it already.

Don't forget to post the results and what fixed it I am keeping an eye on the thread for future reference.

I've heard many people say "It's just a barrel swap." Those people don't understand what they are doing. There is a reason 300 BLK barrels are commonly found with pistol gas systems, regardless of barrel length.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    If you do plan to go with a lightweight BCG I would suggest getting a decent adj gas block to go with it. I have a superlative arms bleed style block on my lightweight 556 gun, and with it properly tuned the lwgt bcg and 1 oz buffer make the gun very nice to shoot. As the reciprocating mass is much less the gun does not move around much when cycling.

You can remove the guts of the buffer as that will reduce the mass and possibly help with the undergassed situation.

As mentioned, an adj gas block will not cure an undergassed gun (only opening the port will fix that) but with the adj gas block and a lighter bcg and or buffer you can tune the gun. The lighter power recoil spring looks like the easiest thing to do, gutting a buffer will be the cheapest, and dropping 200 bucks on a lwgt bcg, 10z buffer and an adj gas block will give you a bunch of tuning potential.

When thinking of running such a wide spread of ammo velocities (300blk most have the widest spread of velocities of any caliber I can think of), an adj gas system is a must. I like the lwgt bcg as it offers smoother shooting.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    If you do plan to go with a lightweight BCG I would suggest getting a decent adj gas block to go with it. I have a superlative arms bleed style block on my lightweight 556 gun, and with it properly tuned the lwgt bcg and 1 oz buffer make the gun very nice to shoot. As the reciprocating mass is much less the gun does not move around much when cycling.

You can remove the guts of the buffer as that will reduce the mass and possibly help with the undergassed situation.

As mentioned, an adj gas block will not cure an undergassed gun (only opening the port will fix that) but with the adj gas block and a lighter bcg and or buffer you can tune the gun. The lighter power recoil spring looks like the easiest thing to do, gutting a buffer will be the cheapest, and dropping 200 bucks on a lwgt bcg, 10z buffer and an adj gas block will give you a bunch of tuning potential.

When thinking of running such a wide spread of ammo velocities (300blk most have the widest spread of velocities of any caliber I can think of), an adj gas system is a must. I like the lwgt bcg as it offers smoother shooting.

I threw this together with mostly spare parts. My long term plan is to have the superlative gas block, can and possibly a JP buffer and spring kit.

Off the top of your head.....do you remember how much the lwgt bcg weighs?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you're undergassed while shooting subsonic loads unsuppressed, I would hold off on drilling the gas port until you actually get to shoot subsonic suppressed.

The last thing you want to do is open up the port, then add an adjustable gas block to remedy the fact that you opened up the port.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    If you're undergassed while shooting subsonic loads unsuppressed, I would hold off on drilling the gas port until you actually get to shoot subsonic suppressed.

The last thing you want to do is open up the port, then add an adjustable gas block to remedy the fact that you opened up the port.

Indeed. Like I said, I want to drill as a last resort. I will try the other things first.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    maybe 5 oz... is the stock 8oz? For some reason those numbers stick in my head.

The JP Low Mass BCG is around 8-9 oz. If you have a BCG that weighs 5 oz, that can lead to a lot of issues.

And since springs were brought up previously, this is worth looking into. Many people with 300BLK AR's running low pressure ammunition have found them to be beneficial.

http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-buffer-spring-stainless

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    The JP Low Mass BCG is around 8-9 oz. If you have a BCG that weighs 5 oz, that can lead to a lot of issues.

And since springs were brought up previously, this is worth looking into. Many people with 300BLK AR's running low pressure ammunition have found them to be beneficial.

http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-buffer-spring-stainless

Thanks. Glad I made this post because yall have shown me lots of parts and stuff that I haven't tried yet.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Weigh your buffer on an oz scale, if you have dial calipers or access to some you can measure gas port also since you dont have gauges. Tuning for optimization can start with gun but usually comes down to load development also. There are known port sizes that work with pistol lengths and an adjustable gas block can help with both over and under gassed guns as it loosens or restricts gas flow, according to science and extensive testing that is

My buffer is 3oz.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My buffer is 3oz.

You have a carbine buffer.

Dropping a Tubbs spring should solve your issue, but if it’s still not picking up the round, you will need to remedy it other ways.

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    You have the equivalent of an H1 buffer.

Dropping a carbine buffer in and a Tubbs spring should solve your issue.

Thanks for all of the info.

I have been kicking around the idea of possibly getting a JP Silent Captured Spring Buffer set for this. I think I can get them with the different springs in a kit. I had one of these in an old rifle at one time and it was very nice to shoot. It was a rifle that was already built when I got it so I don't know which one was in it and I only had the rifle a short period but have wanted another JP buffer for a while.

I am on the fence about ordering just the Tubbs spring for what I have or the JP kit.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Thanks for all of the info.

I have been kicking around the idea of possibly getting a JP Silent Captured Spring Buffer set for this. I think I can get them with the different springs in a kit. I had one of these in an old rifle at one time and it was very nice to shoot. It was a rifle that was already built when I got it so I don't know which one was in it and I only had the rifle a short period but have wanted another JP buffer for a while.

I am on the fence about ordering just the Tubbs spring for what I have or the JP kit.

I would avoid the JP Silent Capture Spring. It’s known to cause more trouble than it’s worth.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Really? It felt so nice on the rifle I had for the short time I had it. Didn't know it was giving people problems.
    I’ve got 3 of them in different rifles. One in my best 300. The 3 spring AR 15 or 5.56 kit is the one in my 300 and I used the mid weight spring. I’ve never had any problems with these. Can’t speak for anyone else’s experience but I haven’t heard of any issues either. They’re a little cheaper now than the ones I bought a few years back.
    If you’re close I could let you borrow one to see if it’s what you want.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ew-jp-enterprises-silent-captured-spring/amp/
    I looked for reviews to see if they’re known to cause more trouble than they’re worth and I’m just not finding that info. I trust these guys but I trust my own experience more than anyone on this site so I’ll be keeping mine since they work so well for me.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    03779b8e4217c7f1c1f5a09cb0fd8bc8.jpg

This is as close as I can get to your scenario. 6.5 inch barrel 300 unsupressed with subsonic ammo. Sound pretty close?

Tell ya what Bonney, just PM me for anything else if you don’t mind. I’ll do what I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom