AR Pistol Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    03779b8e4217c7f1c1f5a09cb0fd8bc8.jpg

This is as close as I can get to your scenario. 6.5 inch barrel 300 unsupressed with subsonic ammo. Sound pretty close?

Tell ya what Bonney, just PM me for anything else if you don’t mind. I’ll do what I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I will be going over everything today and prob. making an order around lunch time one way or another.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Really? It felt so nice on the rifle I had for the short time I had it. Didn't know it was giving people problems.

I've seen this happen a handful of times, although I wouldn't necessarily call it common. The main concern with the system is user related. People start mixing and matching weights with lightweight carriers and throw the entire system out of balance. I don't recommend. They do nothing they springs and buffers can't.

80420234_10162557229920521_4867074768236445696_o.jpg

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I've seen this happen a handful of times, although I wouldn't necessarily call it common. The main concern with the system is user related. People start mixing and matching weights with lightweight carriers and throw the entire system out of balance. I don't recommend. They do nothing they springs and buffers can't.

80420234_10162557229920521_4867074768236445696_o.jpg

I can def. see where people mixing and matching parts who maybe shouldn't be could cause problems.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I can def. see where people mixing and matching parts who maybe shouldn't be could cause problems.

I would personally try the Tubbs spring first since you're already running a carbine buffer.

I don't know why I didn't ask prior, is the barrel dimpled? If not, what did you do to ensure the gas block was aligned properly?

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I would personally try the Tubbs spring first since you're already running a carbine buffer.

I don't know why I didn't ask prior, is the barrel dimpled? If not, what did you do to ensure the gas block was aligned properly?

No, the barrel was not dimpled. It did cross my mind that possible I do not have it lined up completely. I have always had dimpled barrels and this was the first time I ended up with a barrel that wasn't.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    No, the barrel was not dimpled. It did cross my mind that possible I do not have it lined up completely. I have always had dimpled barrels and this was the first time I ended up with a barrel that wasn't.

I'm not saying it is the sole cause, but there is a potential that your gas block is not aligned. You can try the pasta trick if you don't have a jig or borescope.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I actually did do the pasta trick.

If you're cycling with supers and barely cycling with subs in a 6" barrel, it's probably not the gas block. The tubbs spring is cheap (compared to other options). I would give that spring or the other .300BLK spring that was mentioned a try first. I wouldn't invest in an elaborate buffer system until you narrow down the issue.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    If you're cycling with supers and barely cycling with subs in a 6" barrel, it's probably not the gas block. The tubbs spring is cheap (compared to other options). I would give that spring or the other .300BLK spring that was mentioned a try first. I wouldn't invest in an elaborate buffer system until you narrow down the issue.

That is what I did. Went ahead and ordered the Tubbs spring and will try that out first and see what, if anything else will be needed.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Okay, so between the Tubbs spring, the superlative adjustable gas block and the lightweight BCG I was able to tune the rifle to function flawlessly. With the gas block opened way up I can make it run subs but I went ahead and set it up for running supers at y’all advise and I plan to start looking into suppressors so I can get one for this. Loved the way it shot. Only shot at 50 yards. Was mainly testing for function but did shoot a couple groups. It shot pretty decent. Didn’t have a real target to focus on. Was shooting at a rust spot on an old freezer. I normally shoot in my father in laws dirt pit but he had my targets moved so he could get some dirt so I made do.

Attachments

• E0E58346-B7A3-44DB-93D1-A3365A352481.jpg
      E0E58346-B7A3-44DB-93D1-A3365A352481.jpg
      193.9 KB · Views: 91
    • B0B37AB0-E37C-4E26-9FCE-D23C419643A5.jpg
      B0B37AB0-E37C-4E26-9FCE-D23C419643A5.jpg
      266.1 KB · Views: 97

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    An adjustable gas block wont do anything to help this issue. You can either lighten up the spring, or take a weight out of the buffer. This is pretty common with the 300 BLK. Some of these AR's simply won't cycle subs reliably unsupressed, no matter what you do. But generally, if you lighten the spring, and/or remove one of the weights, it will solve the issue.

chrisdcd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2017
    anywhere
    I just realized this thread was several weeks old. I'm speaking from experience, I'v never run across an AR that I could not tune with springs and weight. One way or the other, that is the only correct way to tune a gas powered firearm. Once you get it tuned correctly, then you add an adjustable gas block as a backup. And adjustable gas blocks really, in my opinion, are only for shooting suppressed. You want the firearm to be as reliable as possible, and that's done with weight and tension. I run superlative arms blocks on everything I shoot suppressed. Again, IMO, they are the best thing going. When tune correctly, they work as advertised. They help keep the gas and powder out of your face. Running that in tandem with a slotted charging handle works wonders for me. I have several SBR's that I run suppressed, and pretty much all of them have buffers full of tungsten, or H3's, and Sprinco heavy springs, along with the Superlative Block. Once you get the firearm cycling perfectly, you can adjust that block to the point where it will port much of the excess gas forward and keep it out of your face. They are legit! Also, I would never drill on a high end barrel if you don't have experience or the knowledge, or the information and equipment in front of you to do it safely. I'd just send the barrel back and exchange it. That could pose some danger to the end user.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Right now I have it running pretty well unsuppressed.

The only thing I would be wary about at this point is feeding issues down the road due to the lightweight carrier and spring. I don't know what your firing schedule or maintenance schedule looks like.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    The only thing I would be wary about at this point is feeding issues down the road due to the lightweight carrier and spring. I don't know what your firing schedule or maintenance schedule looks like.

I shoot a lot but not sure how much use this one will get. Time will tell. I had fun shooting it the other day and it has its place with me for sure now. I will run it till a possible problem arises and then I will address that problem I guess. It wont be a self defense gun at this point. Just a fun range gun and possible hog gun since I like its compactness. First things first.....I want to put in some serious time behind this gun before I decide what its main use will be.

I will continue to research and explore buffer weight/spring combos also so I can better understand what is needed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2020
    Phoenix, AZ
    This may not be the answer you want but considering the cost of subsonic 300blk why not only shoot the subs with a suppressor? That should add enough back-pressure to cycle correctly. If you don't have a suppressor my question is: what are you waiting for?? Hopefully you have gotten everything squared away by now. Good luck!

Top Bottom