AR Pistol Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have built many AR rifles but recently built my first AR pistol a while back and did it a little different than most and went with a pretty short barrel. I went with 300 Blackout and a 6" barrel with a Kaw Valley Linear Compensator in order to try to gain the pressure needed to send the BCG back.

Well I am not quite getting enough to send the BCG completely back when using subsonics unsuppressed. The bolt goes back far enough to eject the spent casing but not far enough back to pick up the next round and chamber it.

The supers fired pretty well for the most part.

I am thinking that possibly a light weight BCG may be enough to fix the problem and I am looking for recommendations from folks that have used whatever light weight bcg they suggest.

I thought possibly about an adjustable gas block also but wondering if a lw bcg will be enough.

Open to other ideas also if anyone has any that will help the pistol cycle and run well.

Attachments

• IMG_1757.jpg
      IMG_1757.jpg
      252.7 KB · Views: 193
    • IMG_1741.jpg
      IMG_1741.jpg
      244.5 KB · Views: 186
    Last edited:

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Carbine spring and h2 buffer? an adjustable gb tends to solve most problems gas wise if your port is under or oversized ect. Some AR builds require a break in period before they properly run well and some take a little more lube than usual during this process.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Carbine spring and h2 buffer? an adjustable gb tends to solve most problems gas wise if your port is under or oversized ect. Some AR builds require a break in period before they properly run well and some take a little more lube than usual during this process.

I have been thinking about putting the adjustable gas block and possibly the JP Captured Spring kit eventually.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    what length gas system does it have? For my 300BO build that I haven't put together yet I found online that pistol length is the preferred short barrel gas system you want to get the right amount of gas to the BCG. If all else fails you could try drilling out the port with the next size up drill bit and see if that helps with the undergassing.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Often times undergassing is misdiagnosed as overgassing. There is a good chance your bolt is outrunning the magazine. Disregard this bit, I noticed you said it only has this issue with subs.

Are you using a carbine (H) buffer and spring?

I also have to ask why you are shooting subs unsuppressed? I would not tune a gun to run subs unsuppressed, because it will be severely overgassed when running supers.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    what length gas system does it have? For my 300BO build that I haven't put together yet I found online that pistol length is the preferred short barrel gas system you want to get the right amount of gas to the BCG. If all else fails you could try drilling out the port with the next size up drill bit and see if that helps with the undergassing.

Do not drill the gas port. That is a last resort when you know for certain that the port is under size from what it should be.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    his barrel is 6 inches so the only option there is pistol gas. I’ve seen this issue and 2 things can be done. .08in bit (nothing bigger) to drill out the gas port and or reduced weight buffer and buffer spring. You May also get some benefit from an actual brake. Inline comps are great for short barrel thumpers but don’t really help to brake them, just channel everything out the front. Good luck.

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Often times undergassing is misdiagnosed as overgassing. There is a good chance your bolt is outrunning the magazine. Disregard this bit, I noticed you said it only has this issue with subs.

Are you using a carbine (H) buffer and spring?

I also have to ask why you are shooting subs unsuppressed? I would not tune a gun to run subs unsuppressed, because it will be severely overgassed when running supers.

Running pistol gas tube. I’ll look again but I’m pretty sure I have the lightest buffer I could find. Not sure if it’s the H or not. I’ll look again in the morning.

I am not really trying to tune the gun for the subs but would like it to cycle with both. No plans to drill anything yet. I’m confident I can remedy the situation without drilling.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Running pistol gas tube. I’ll look again but I’m pretty sure I have the lightest buffer I could find. Not sure if it’s the H or not. I’ll look again in the morning.

I am not really trying to tune the gun for the subs but would like it to cycle with both. No plans to drill anything yet. I’m confident I can remedy the situation without drilling.
    If you had more barrel I would agree with you on no drilling, but it’s gonna be a challenge with just a tad of barrel out past the gas port. Most of the gas is going the path of least resistance because the bullet is out of the bore before the powder is all burned. I’ve never seen a .300 shorter than 10 inches not suffer from under gassing with subs and no can. Your barrel’s gas port may also already be drilled to the max recommended size which would rule out that fix anyway. I’ve got light weight buffers and springs if you wanna try some parts. I’ve also seen someone modify a standard buffer to reduce weight and it worked fine.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Do you have access to pin gauges?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I had the exact same problem with my Spikes 300 blackout build and I only run supersonics through it. Picked this spring at brownells and now it'll cycle everything I put through it. https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=nemo&ksubmit=y

We use this option and recommend it to customers quite often. Cheap way to cycle subs without a can....the better option is to get a can though!

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Weigh your buffer on an oz scale, if you have dial calipers or access to some you can measure gas port also since you dont have gauges. Tuning for optimization can start with gun but usually comes down to load development also. There are known port sizes that work with pistol lengths and an adjustable gas block can help with both over and under gassed guns as it loosens or restricts gas flow, according to science and extensive testing that is

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Weigh your buffer on an oz scale, if you have dial calipers or access to some you can measure gas port also since you dont have gauges. Tuning for optimization can start with gun but usually comes down to load development also. There are known port sizes that work with pistol lengths and an adjustable gas block can help with both over and under gassed guns as it loosens or restricts gas flow, according to science and extensive testing that is

Pretty much all of this. I don’t care for adjustable blocks, but it’s the only way to remedy an oversized gas port that can’t be treated with increased spring and buffer weights. Triple check the gas port size before you get crazy with a drill.

I say only way, but BRT gas blocks are an option as well.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If you have a complete drill bit set you can use the shank of a drill bit to measure the port size without pin gauges. I am talking the ones that have the smaller bits that are marked with numbers sometimes. You can use the number and find the actual decimal value.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I had the exact same problem with my Spikes 300 blackout build and I only run supersonics through it. Picked this spring at brownells and now it'll cycle everything I put through it. https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=nemo&ksubmit=y

Thanks for the info and link.

- - - Updated - - -

We use this option and recommend it to customers quite often. Cheap way to cycle subs without a can....the better option is to get a can though!

I do hope to get a can soon. Or at least start the process soon.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    If you have a complete drill bit set you can use the shank of a drill bit to measure the port size without pin gauges. I am talking the ones that have the smaller bits that are marked with numbers sometimes. You can use the number and find the actual decimal value.

Excellent point and idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much all of this. I don’t care for adjustable blocks, but it’s the only way to remedy an oversized gas port that can’t be treated with increased spring and buffer weights. Triple check the gas port size before you get crazy with a drill.

I say only way, but BRT gas blocks are an option as well.

I will def. try some of the cheap ideas such as buffer spring and buffer before drilling.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom