Scary Crazy $#!7

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    This started for us last Sunday morning but first a little back history. Several years ago my mother-in-law passed away. Since then my son lived in the house she owned and lived in and then my sister-in-law would stay there when she came to Louisiana. We decided to put it up for sale but it needed work and so I did most of it and then the SIL got someone to come in and do some work and replace carpet. A few months ago I completed painting and so cleaning so it was ready to go up for sale. Well, the SIL was handling listing it with a realtor so that's why it was moving slow getting it up for sale. We would stop by every week or so to pick up mail but hadn't gone in in about a month.

Last Sunday my wife gets a text from a neighbor saying that the front door was wide open so the husband closed it. We had a cold front come through last weekend and it was very windy and the front door faces due north but I knew that I had made sure the doors were locked that last time I was there. I went over ASAP and attempted very carefully to enter the back door which was used 100% percent of the time because it's right off the carport. Of course I was carrying a weapon! So my key doesn't work which is pretty unusual. I get another key to the door from my truck and try it and it still doesn't work. I go around the front and sure enough the front door is unlocked. I carefully enter with my weapon drawn and clear the first floor. As I'm doing so I see signs of someone having been there. The TV is on with an open air antenna hooked up to it as if someone was trying to get reception. I go upstairs and clear it. No one there! But, someone had been there bathing, changing clothes (their's, there were no clothes except for a few things left hanging in a closet that were my MIL's including a fur coat). There are several pieces of furniture in the house, including two sofas, chair, dining room set, end tables, coffee table, tv and console. So, after seeing this and making sure no one is in the house I go back outside and call 911 to report. The next door neighbor comes home and I tell him someone had been living there and he's like we thought you had contractor's working there. They(he and his wife heard people there for at least a week. Two deputies arrive and I tell them what has happened. I told them I already cleared the house and they look at me almost in disbelief. So we go in and I show them things I discovered like shampoo and body wash, the bath rug they brought to use for after they bathed(that wasn't there before), toothbrush, drinks left on the table and even a paper towel used as a coaster for a drink on one of the end tables. Also left behind some dirty undershirts which were still somewhat damp from god knows what. There was also a phone charger left behind as well as that open air antenna which was brand new. So they call for crime scene to come out and take fingerprints. While waiting for that I discovered two broken window panes and they were so slick that they cleaned up broken glass and put it in the garbage can on the carport. Apparently they got in by doing something to the back door lock and it wouldn't work any more. When crime scene deputy got there they went through the garbage can to retrieve prints from the broken glass and I see they enjoyed Chinese takeout and tossed the plates and stuff in that can. Later I found a bloody bandage in an end table drawer as well as one in an upstairs garbage can. The house was clean and fresh smelling before they broke in but they must've done a good bit of smoking indoors as I've had to go and spray air freshener every day.
    Other crazy stuff I found out after talking to neighbors is it was an older male between 50-60 years old and a younger female. A neighbor that has a daytime caretaker gave me a description of the male and said while outside taking the neighbor(older lady)out for fresh air and a walk saw the male roll the garbage can out to the curb then roll it back under the carport and did this three consecutive times only to leave it under the carport with trash still in it. That's crazy ****!

Now this didn't happen in a crappy neighborhood. We're talking about near Clearview, West Esplanade and Avron Blvd area in Metairie. After a copple hours of deputies and crime scene taking prints and DNA I went and got new door lock hardware and replaced it with double cylinder locks even though the doors are solid wood.
    I had my wife print up some notes that we posted on the doors to let the unwelcome guests know that police were notified and warn them that NO TRESPASSING will be tolerated. I did this to prevent them breaking in again and keep from having to replace door hardware again. I figure they probably wouldn't be caught anyway.
    Talking to other neighbors and warn them I have found out that they had one and possibly two vehicles and weren't shy about being there. A young kid that lives across the street saw the male while riding his bike. Another neighbor says he thought we had rented the house out as he saw both the woman and man outside come and go in their car. Apparently they were possibly entertaining while there.

So, let this be a warning that just because you have an empty house in the neighborhood and suddenly have neighbors doesn't mean they legitimately belong there. Watch out for what goes in in your neighborhood. You never know! I'm more than sure the next door neighbors that thought we had contractors working there feel like crap for not saying something about the unwelcome squatters sooner. I go back every day now to check on things and make sure no one is in the house. Yes, I basically clear the house everyday. Scary thing is my wife was there about three days before discovering all this to pick up mail. Good thing she didn't go inside to check on things. I usually left lights on in different rooms and switched them up whenever I would go in.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    That’s not only crazy but scary and insane. Are u sure it’s not some new illegal relocation program passed by the senate in the middle of the night? Can the dirtbags come back and retrieve the furniture etc? Time for a bonfire of the stuff.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I forgot to mention that I had a padlock on the circuit breaker box which is located outside. When the deputies were there I noticed that the lock was gone and the box door ws ajar. Apparently they opened the circuit breaker box and turn off the power to see if anyone would come outside as a way to make sure no one was home. I replaced that lock as well.

Last edited:

Dboymboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Harvey LA
    You just reminded me to check on my parents house. been sitting there for 6 months. I check about once a month.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    There ain’t no telling what you stumbled up on. Good to hear it didn’t involve a violent confrontation It really makes me wonder who they were hiding from and why.

I expressed that same idea to the deputy. Older man with a younger woman. Could she have been held against her will? Were they Bonnie and Clyde types laying low. Apparently they weren't destitute. They left behind stuff they had to buy or steal. Never know!

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    This happens all the time. Probably was a hooker and pimp or just meth/crack heads. They probably turned your house into a soup kitchen

6f3c7e37b34d9f79164a06909841fd0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Something funny about them bathing.... there. It must have been a fast, cold bath they took. I have the gas shut off to the water heater. I know someone bathed as there was shampoo and body wash on one of the tubs and it's not like I left it when I cleaned previously and they left behind the bath mat/rug. It appears they did try to light the water heater but didn't get it done.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    So the water heater explains the lock on the breaker panel. Normal to turn the breaker off for an electric water heater in an unoccupied house. Shows these Squatters have done this enough times to know.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I'm more than sure this wasn't their first time doing this. They at least were more respectful than you'd think of anyone that would do this. I mean...... cleaning up the broken glass window pane on the patio(apparently the lawn guy didn't notice anything amiss), putting paper plates they'd eaten from in the outside garbage can, putting the garbage can on the curb(even though the guy rolled the can back and forth from the curb to carport three times before just leaving it under the carport where I put it), using a paper towel coaster on the end table and even picking up spent fireworks rocket sticks and putting them in the trash. Crazy!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I'm more than sure this wasn't their first time doing this. They at least were more respectful than you'd think of anyone that would do this. I mean...... cleaning up the broken glass window pane on the patio(apparently the lawn guy didn't notice anything amiss), putting paper plates they'd eaten from in the outside garbage can, putting the garbage can on the curb(even though the guy rolled the can back and forth from the curb to carport three times before just leaving it under the carport where I put it), using a paper towel coaster on the end table and even picking up spent fireworks rocket sticks and putting them in the trash. Crazy!
    Sounds like they were setting up housekeeping and planning for the long haul. I’m not familiar with the laws here in Louisiana regarding squatters but I don’t think they can get away with near as much here. I’ve heard horror stories from other states where they have the right to stay for long periods of time if they know what they’re doing and they always do.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    This got me curious so I did some reading. By cleaning up and making sure they were seen they were probably trying to build their case. https://ipropertymanagement.com/laws/louisiana-squatters-rights

Your going to jail Bruh !!!

It is illegal to perform self-eviction procedures in Louisiana. This means that you cannot attempt to remove the squatter by force, or through methods such as changing the locks or turning off the utilities. This is always illegal and can leave a landowner open to a lawsuit.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Pretty sure I would have sat on the couch and waited for them to come back. Once they were in the house after "breaking and entering" the police could be called and treat it like the "home invasion" that it is...

I read the squatter link above. What a bunch of horse crap. Public record of property ownership is all that should be required to settle a situation like this. Owner should be able to call the sheriff's office, have them look up said records and then they can verify via legal issued id who is the legal owner. Everyone else then gets arrested for trespassing and/or any property damage. Everyone would be aware of this and then the whole squatting problem would be much less prevalent.

The "get a lawyer" part really makes my **** boil... Should say" buy a burly friend with a baseball bat a 12 pack..."

Giving criminals rights... Bernie et al must be smiling

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Pretty sure I would have sat on the couch and waited for them to come back. Once they were in the house after "breaking and entering" the police could be called and treat it like the "home invasion" that it is...

I read the squatter link above. What a bunch of horse crap. Public record of property ownership is all that should be required to settle a situation like this. Owner should be able to call the sheriff's office, have them look up said records and then they can verify via legal issued id who is the legal owner. Everyone else then gets arrested for trespassing and/or any property damage. Everyone would be aware of this and then the whole squatting problem would be much less prevalent.

The "get a lawyer" part really makes my **** boil... Should say" buy a burly friend with a baseball bat a 12 pack..."

Giving criminals rights... Bernie et al must be smiling

+1. Why on earth does an honest property owner lose his rights to a trespasser that is effectively trying to steal a legally owned property?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    +1. Why on earth does an honest property owner lose his rights to a trespasser that is effectively trying to steal a legally owned property?

BS laws... probably some sort of holdover crap from a time when documented paperwork was a rarity. These days you can pull up any piece of property online and see who has been paying the tax, possibly more, I am not sure. 9 times out of 10 the actual owner will be the one paying the tax... weird world we live in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom