Freckles of run on frame, advice needed.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There's a blue S&W I'm looking at that has freckles of rust on frame. I assume I can get them off with penetrating oil? If so, what do I use to rub the freckles with penetrating oil? Also, once the freckles are off, will the bare metal show where the freckles were?
    Your thoughts?

Thanx,
    EJAIII

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    There are different schools of thought on that. oil, Hoppe's #9, Flitz, 0000 steel wool, etc. Do some Interwebs research to get comfortable with the various techniques and start at the low end of the abrasive spectrum. Less is better.

I've used 0000 steel wool on bad rust spots and there was some discoloration remaining, but it did not take it to bare metal.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Likely need some bluing touch up after the rust removal but it can be done. I’ve found the finer the steel is polished the more difficult it is to hide. I highly recommend Brownells Oxpho blue paste (or cream?). Degrease with some acetone, park the piece in a 200 degree oven for a couple minutes (remove anything that might be damaged first) use a Q-tip to dab just the spots to be touched up. Good luck

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have used blue wonder gun blue for touch ups with great success. I used XXXX steel wool and oil to clean off the rust areas, and then used the blue wonder cleaner to remove the existing finish in small areas. it was not a high polish finish, semi gloss blue on a mac90, closer to black. Amazing results, and you can just keep layering it on to get the desired match. Great product, but you MUST follow the directions!!!!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Be aware that bluing steel is not adding a coat of finish. It’s applying an acid that causes a reaction on the surface of the steel. Basically causing a type of immediate rust sort of situation. Adding a bluing agent to an area also has the potential to remove the existing blue and make it appear lighter than the factory blue. Having done a few touch up jobs over the years I’ve learned to stay in the affected area only for a good match. Using a Q-tip is more precise and the cream type blue will stay just where you need it. I also like to spray a little Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly known as Gun Sheath) on the area when I’m done to help set the blue but I’m sure any light weapons oil is fine.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Be aware that bluing steel is not adding a coat of finish. It’s applying an acid that causes a reaction on the surface of the steel. Basically causing a type of immediate rust sort of situation. Adding a bluing agent to an area also has the potential to remove the existing blue and make it appear lighter than the factory blue. Having done a few touch up jobs over the years I’ve learned to stay in the affected area only for a good match. Using a Q-tip is more precise and the cream type blue will stay just where you need it. I also like to spray a little Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly known as Gun Sheath) on the area when I’m done to help set the blue but I’m sure any light weapons oil is fine.
    Thanks for this advice..

MOJO@AKLYS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    B.R.
    Oil paper, note book paper as a good substitute

0000 steel wool and heavy oil with no pressure

- - - Updated - - -

Oil paper, note book paper as a good substitute

0000 steel wool and heavy oil with no pressure

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Brass wool and oil does wonders on blued steel, no need to worry about scratching anything. I have seen it take off rust without a hint of damage underneath to where the rust was pitting, just depends on the gun and extent of the rust.

Top Bottom