Join BayouShooter For Free

Marksman

User Info Menu

Freckles of run on frame, advice needed.

There's a blue S&W I'm looking at that has freckles of rust on frame. I assume I can get them off with penetrating oil? If so, what do I use to rub the freckles with penetrating oil? Also, once the freckles are off, will the bare metal show where the freckles were?
    Your thoughts?

Thanx,
    EJAIII
    The greater majority of my vast fortune I've spent on women whiskey & weapons......The rest, I just pissed away.

If you find yourself in a fair gun fight; your tactics suck !

"The only easy day is yesterday."

Guns don't kill people; cell phones do!

Marksman

User Info Menu

There are different schools of thought on that. oil, Hoppe's #9, Flitz, 0000 steel wool, etc. Do some Interwebs research to get comfortable with the various techniques and start at the low end of the abrasive spectrum. Less is better.

I've used 0000 steel wool on bad rust spots and there was some discoloration remaining, but it did not take it to bare metal.
    Last edited by krotsman; January 26th, 2020 at 04:07 PM.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Likely need some bluing touch up after the rust removal but it can be done. I’ve found the finer the steel is polished the more difficult it is to hide. I highly recommend Brownells Oxpho blue paste (or cream?). Degrease with some acetone, park the piece in a 200 degree oven for a couple minutes (remove anything that might be damaged first) use a Q-tip to dab just the spots to be touched up. Good luck
    Last edited by Magdump; January 29th, 2020 at 03:10 PM.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Not Banned!!!

User Info Menu

I have used blue wonder gun blue for touch ups with great success. I used XXXX steel wool and oil to clean off the rust areas, and then used the blue wonder cleaner to remove the existing finish in small areas. it was not a high polish finish, semi gloss blue on a mac90, closer to black. Amazing results, and you can just keep layering it on to get the desired match. Great product, but you MUST follow the directions!!!!
    "These Rocky Mountains aren't very rocky. Yeah, that John Denver is full of SH**!"

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Be aware that bluing steel is not adding a coat of finish. It’s applying an acid that causes a reaction on the surface of the steel. Basically causing a type of immediate rust sort of situation. Adding a bluing agent to an area also has the potential to remove the existing blue and make it appear lighter than the factory blue. Having done a few touch up jobs over the years I’ve learned to stay in the affected area only for a good match. Using a Q-tip is more precise and the cream type blue will stay just where you need it. I also like to spray a little Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly known as Gun Sheath) on the area when I’m done to help set the blue but I’m sure any light weapons oil is fine.

tactical hangover

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    Be aware that bluing steel is not adding a coat of finish. It’s applying an acid that causes a reaction on the surface of the steel. Basically causing a type of immediate rust sort of situation. Adding a bluing agent to an area also has the potential to remove the existing blue and make it appear lighter than the factory blue. Having done a few touch up jobs over the years I’ve learned to stay in the affected area only for a good match. Using a Q-tip is more precise and the cream type blue will stay just where you need it. I also like to spray a little Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly known as Gun Sheath) on the area when I’m done to help set the blue but I’m sure any light weapons oil is fine.
    Thanks for this advice..

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by themcfarland View Post
    Thanks for this advice..
    Any time. Good luck.