Obtaining FFL

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    After many years of thinking I have decided to apply for a type I FFL. Anyone have any source for good information that would help with the process ?

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Just remember that the FFL is only part of the process. You'll need to register for city and parish and state sales tax and make your monthly reports (after a year you can move to quarterly reports with some of the taxes). And this is even if you have no sales. Might want to check with an accountant for the proper registration forms. And apply for a federal employer ID (even if you are the only employee).Then there's insurance to consider if you are engaging as a business. Those are some of the reasons I dropped my license after 25 years.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Just remember that the FFL is only part of the process. You'll need to register for city and parish and state sales tax and make your monthly reports (after a year you can move to quarterly reports with some of the taxes). And this is even if you have no sales. Might want to check with an accountant for the proper registration forms. And apply for a federal employer ID (even if you are the only employee).Then there's insurance to consider if you are engaging as a business. Those are some of the reasons I dropped my license after 25 years.

Doesn't really seem worth the trouble.....

Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles

I’m curious, did you have your FFL as a hobby, or did you a have a business that you intended to make a profit with? And ultimately what would you say was the main reason you decided to let go of it ?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I’m curious, did you have your FFL as a hobby, or did you a have a business that you intended to make a profit with? And ultimately what would you say was the main reason you decided to let go of it ?

Now days the ATF frowns upon people getting an FFL as an hobby. The purpose of getting an FFL is to engage as a business. Sure back in the day people got an FFL as an hobby but the ATF lady said there trying to get people away from doing that. And that’s the reason you have to get all the paperwork tax IDs and such. If running from a home shop make sure planning and zoning allows for it.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    FFL123.com is what I used many years ago. I had a home based FFL. It was pretty painless. Atf field agents I've delt with have always been nice and helpful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I had a home FFl for about 9 years back in the 80's. Regulations were different back then. Foreign imports of all kinds were plentiful, police trade in's, lots of neat guns in Shotgun news. When Clinton was elected the license went from $30 for 3 years to $300 for three years, don't know what it is now. When the last renewal expired I packed up my records and sent them to the ATF. If you already have a business of some type in place you may be able to include an FFL as part of your business.. Either do it big or not at all.

Last edited:

Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Maaan, it's gotten a whole lot more complicated than it used to be. I had an FFL back in the late 80's and early 90's when I worked in law enforcement. I got it so I could order guns straight from the distributors at dealer cost and save from $200 to $400 off buying the same guns in a store. I didn't get any tax stamps or any other licenses, just the FFL. Do they actually check now to make sure you have all the tax licenses and employee ID, etc? I was thinking of getting an FFL again but if I have to go through all that then no.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for all the info. This FFL is for a business that has an EIN and all LLC procedures followed.

I wouldn't link it to another business, especially if that is your main source of income. I know many FFL's that have multiple businesses registered to separate FFL from non FFL activities.

Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I wouldn't link it to another business, especially if that is your main source of income. I know many FFL's that have multiple businesses registered to separate FFL from non FFL activities.

What would be the purpose of this ? I met with my CPA and attorney today and wasn’t advised anything like this but if you have experienced something I’d like to hear about it.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    What would be the purpose of this ? I met with my CPA and attorney today and wasn’t advised anything like this but if you have experienced something I’d like to hear about it.

I have a few reasons, but most of them come back with you getting sued and losing the FFL and your bread winning business.

Say you sell a gun to someone who goes "Sandyhook" with it. Now the victims of the family want to sue you, if your FFL is tied to your other non FFL business they are coming after both of them.

Setting up another llc,corp or whatever is cheap, fast and easy.

Danable

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I have a few reasons, but most of them come back with you getting sued and losing the FFL and your bread winning business.

Say you sell a gun to someone who goes "Sandyhook" with it. Now the victims of the family want to sue you, if your FFL is tied to your other non FFL business they are coming after both of them.

Setting up another llc,corp or whatever is cheap, fast and easy.

That’s is what I’m doing. I’m forming a LLC solely for the FFL business. I’m doing it for the exact reason you mentioned.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    I had a home FFl for about 9 years back in the 80's. Regulations were different back then. Foreign imports of all kinds were plentiful, police trade in's, lots of neat guns in Shotgun news. When Clinton was elected the license went from $30 for 3 years to $300 for three years, don't know what it is now. When the last renewal expired I packed up my records and sent them to the ATF. If you already have a business of some type in place you may be able to include an FFL as part of your business.. Either do it big or not at all.

Ditto here. I never did any tax forms or business forms etc... Bought a couple of personal guns that I still have. Gave it up due to cost and anti-gun sentiment at that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom