First Pho

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Down in New Orleans a couple weekends back we ate at Namese, been wanting to find a place to try pho. It was pretty much life changing. So naturally I had to try to recreate this when I got home.

https://i.imgur.com/H3j8PEl.jpg

Must say I believe I nailed it. This will definitely make its way into my fall/winter soup rotation!

H3j8PEl.jpg

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Looks great! What, no Pho in Bunkie?! Haha

There are a ton of Vietnamese/Pho places all around the New Orleans Metro area. Haven’t had the chance to try Namese just yet, but it’s on the list. My girl and I have yet to try a Pho place that we don’t like. It’s so good!

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Looks good, but the broth looks "dark"

Proper pho is made with boiling beef bone, dumping away the first boil, and simmering the second.

My goto pho spot is Pho Bang manhattan blvd. You can find me there every Sunday after church. When I'm in Metairie, I'll go to Pho Orchid.

Viet restaurants like Namese, MoPho, Mint, and Magasin is that it's not authentic. They cater to a more American palate which takes away from the flavors. They are scared that the fish sauce etc may be too pungent and scare away people. I'm Vietnamese, so prefer food that tastes like what's eaten at home, I've compiled a "list" of those foods and places and go there for those specific dishes.

Pho: Pho Bang Harvey
    Bun Bo Hue: AugustMoon or Pho Orchid Metairie
    Com thit Nuong (grilled pork with rice): 9 roses
    Ga Xao Xa Ot (spicy lemon grass chicken): 9 roses
    Bo Dai Han (Korean short ribs): Tan Dinh
    Banh Xeo (Vietnamese crepe); 9 roses
    Family style eating: 9 roses, August moon, and Pho orchid
    Vietnamese po-boys (banh mi): Dong Phuong bakery and Mr Bubbles
    Banh Cuon (kinda like a steamed rice film with meat inside): Ba Mein
    My Favorite egg noodle soup is no longer available but that was Mi Vit Quay at Kim's restaurant.

For a quick pho any of these places mentioned will do, if they are close to you: Pho Michael, Le's baguette, Pho sunrise, Pho Nola, TD pho, Pho Hoa

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    That’s an awesome list and I will be looking over it for a few years to come.

Have you tried Pho Tau Bay on Tulane? That’s where I was trying to go but they were closed at the time.

This was my first go at it and I totally winged it. I roasted 4 lbs of femur rings (that I had cut for roasted bone marrow and brandy cream sauce) and another 4 lbs of soup shanks. Then simmered with onion, ginger, basil, garlic, fish sauce, and a pinch of Chinese 5 spice for about 6 hours then strained the broth and picked the shank meat. I honestly don’t know what I should or would do different next time.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Pho Tau Bay used to be my go to on Sundays 20 years ago. When they were on the expressway near what used to be a bowling alley. I haven't tried their downtown location in years but if it's the same guy (Mixed white/viet guy) cooking then it should be good.

Gotta remember to boil the bones once, then dump it. The second time you boil the water, don't let it get to a rolling boil or the "gunk" can come out of the bones again making your broth dark/cloudy (Viet people judge a broth by how clear it is). Skim what ever junk does come to the top. If you don't know how to season it properly, you can EASILY buy a packet of all the seasonings. Go to a Vietnamese grocery store next time you're in New Orleans, or you can stop by one in Baton Rouge if NOLA is too far. Buy a packet called "Gia Vi Nau Pho" which basically will be all the spices you need, and mesh bag to put it in (cinnamon, corriander, star anise etc). Also guy some fish sauce (I use the one with a cuttle fish on it) and season with that instead of salt. Before you throw the onion and ginger in there, char the outside of it by just leaving it on the burner of your stove for a few minutes.

Chicken pho is the easiest to make, and if you have an instant pot, it can be done in an hour. Just google instant pot pho.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Thanks for the tips.
    I roasted all the bones for a good hour before making the broth and never had and any scum rise to the top. I guess the roasting negated the scum which is typically found when boiling the bones and may have contributed to the darker color.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Uh...WTF IS PHO?

First of all you are probably mispronouncing it . . . .

Not everyone gets hooked on it at first. Many do some find it a bit of an acquired taste, but after about the 3rd time, lord help your soul. I see the same people in some places on the regular. I'm not that big on pho - but banh mi has me pretty twisted. Then there are 'bacos'.

After you have been to some real pho places you walk in to some and you immediately know it ain't on. You just know it is missing 'that smell'.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    First of all you are probably mispronouncing it . . . .

Not everyone gets hooked on it at first. Many do some find it a bit of an acquired taste, but after about the 3rd time, lord help your soul. I see the same people in some places on the regular. I'm not that big on pho - but banh mi has me pretty twisted. Then there are 'bacos'.

After you have been to some real pho places you walk in to some and you immediately know it ain't on. You just know it is missing 'that smell'.

Am I the one that got you onto banh mi? I remember bringing you one when I had a lower engraved lol

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Bahn mi is another world of goodness.
    One of the best meals ever.
    Ever.

troofth

It is it's own food group in terms of craving them. On the level with:
    - tacos
    - hamburgers

My daughter just spent almost 4 months in Russia.
    Quotes from the phone calls from there:
    "Almost every place here is bringing their A game hamburger"
    "Dad, you might be on to something wanting tacos 3 or 4 nights a week"

There is a Sushi place in Harvey. Nobuko - where Parrot Pete's used to be. They have tacos. Quite good actually. Nice place overall, nice owners.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom