Hand Gun purchase- Delay runs out in 2 days. Looking for local dealer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr70895

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    This is ridiculous, I've bought 3 handguns in the past, all on delay but was able to pick them up in 5 days. I bought one on Jan 1 from Bass Pro in Denham Springs. Again delayed, however now they don't honor the Brady law and wait until they receive paperwork to move forward with the transfer.

I just called and two days from today will be 30 days since I applied and the application expires. I either redo the paper work to continue or receive a refund.

How long does this process typically take. I know of nothing in my background that would case this problem. I have a TWIC card and Security Clearance to enter refinery's.

Apparently something is there, Is there a dealer in the Baton Rouge area that follows the Brady law that will allow for pickup after so many days? Trying to buy SW Shield EZ 9mm.

Bass Pro really acts like they don't care one way or the other. Academy is the same way as Bass Pro.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    For some reason, this post was tagged by our spam filter and wasn't visible. I just approved it.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    In my career I often ran into disputes with my bosses over company policy and federal law. I think these big box stores will wait for a call to go ahead with a sale. Unfortunately that call don’t always come. The store is probably acting on its policy vs what the law is on proceeding with a sale after a delay.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    big box stores don't care.... plus they don't follow the brady bill... If you don't get a instant approval usually they reserve the right to not sell it to you, even though you get approved a few days later or go the distance and don't get denied they still reject the transfer... Had it happen at bass pro, cabelas, academy.... Get a chp, instant approval

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    they legally can only hold it for 5 days... but they don't follow that... 99.9% of the gun stores like bayou gunslinger, jims, heberts, pawn shops, local ffl transfer individuals ect you gonna get it unless you are actually "denied" or "do not proceed"

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    they legally can only hold it for 5 days... but they don't follow that... 99.9% of the gun stores like bayou gunslinger, jims, heberts, pawn shops, local ffl transfer individuals ect you gonna get it unless you are actually "denied" or "do not proceed"

They can legally hold it as long as they want, or choose not to sell it to you at all. They are allowed to release it in 3 business days without a response, not counting the current day but nothing says they ever have to release it.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    correct I meant they could use the law to hold it up to 5 days
    They can legally hold it as long as they want, or choose not to sell it to you at all. They are allowed to release it in 3 business days without a response, not counting the current day but nothing says they ever have to release it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom