300 Blackout Build w/ DeadAir Wolfman

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueLineIPSC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell
    I have a dead air wolfman in jail that i was planning to use on a 9mm carbine, but with the time i've had sitting here waiting i started thinking that a 300 Blackout build for the same can would be pretty cool. I'd like to shoot it with subs mostly for plinking and some close range hog control. What barrel length would you go with? I'd like to keep it as short as possible so that when the can is attached the overall length isn't absurd. What twist rate in 300 blackout is sufficient to stabilize the heavier subsonic loads?

Also, i have a lower built that i haven't done anything with in several years. Should i go ahead and submit the SBR paperwork on that and just buy a complete 300 upper? Or would it be better just to buy a complete SBR and get that paperwork rolling? I haven't done an SBR yet, all i have is pistols.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You can go all the way down to 6", but I would stay in the 8-10" range. 8" is short, 6" is tiny, 10" gives you just enough usable handguard length. Most barrels will be just like 556 barrels, in the 1:7 to 1:9 twist rate range. You might find some in the 1:10 range, but I don't know off the top of my head who makes one. If you e-File the paperwork for the SBR, you will probably have it back before you get your suppressor. If your lower has a carbine buffer and spring, and is already assembled, you can just go with a .300 BLK upper. You don't need to buy a complete gun if you don't want to. Only advice I would give you about the "short as possible" route is don't go with something that tucks the suppressor under the handguard. It limits you on accessories and gets hot quickly.

This is 10.3" with a Dead Air Sandman-S. The DA Wolf with the extension will be about the same size. It's very manageable. I still need to send the paperwork off to SBR this one.

49411490473_eff0a22675_z.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That's exactly what i want size wise. Different optics and a legit adjustable stock. But that thing does look bad ass!

With the long configuration, it will be about 3/4" longer than that and with the short configuration you will be about 1 1/2" shorter. You can be 2" short with an 8" barrel, but the extra handguard room is nice. I have a 9" BCM MCMR on that 10.3" upper, which puts the edge of the handguard just shy of the muzzle device.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If you want to SBR the rifle I would build it and submit the paperwork myself for it instead of buying it. You can shoot it as a pistol while you wait for the paperwork where if you buy it as an SBR you can't have it until the paperwork clears.

I already have SBR lowers so it isn't a big deal for me to swap uppers right now. I bought a ~8in barrel on sale and also got a 9inch handguard that will allow the SiCo Saker to fit under the handguard a little but not all the way under. I don't worry about heat as I will not be doing mag dumps with it.

Putting some sort of 1x-X optic on it just haven't decided which brand. Putting a Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS on the SBR 5.56 so if that works out well may get another one for the 300BO.

Just reread your post and I use an Octane45 on my AR9 shorty and with 147gr subs it is shits and giggles all day long. That one has a short handguard because I do mag dump the AR9.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Like stated above, 10" is good all around and not too long. You could also buy one with a P/w suppressor shroud if it's direct thread

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's a 9" barrel with a 9" hand guard. I wanted the base of the silencer to just fit inside the hand guard. The silencer is a Dead Air Sandman-S with an E-Brake. I like how that looks but it does require a thicker hand guard.

long002.jpg

long001.jpg

long003.jpg

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's a 6" barrel with a 9" hand guard with the same silencer. With the 9" barrel, there's room for accessories. But with the 6" barrel, the last 2-1/2 m-lok slots aren't usable.

short001.jpg

short003.jpg

short002.jpg

Top Bottom