New twist ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    So a family members vehicle was broken into last night in Metairie along with 9 other vehicles. All of these vehicles were fairly hi end and newer, Mercedes, Tundra, GMC, etc. the one thing they all had in common was the registrations were taken from all of them. Did a quick search and it looks like they are trying to use this information to secure loans against vehicles or register a stolen one and sell it. Is this a new trend ?? What else could the info be used for ? Steps are being taken to protect the victims credit but any other suggestions that could be helpful ?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    You can't sell a vehicle or get a loan with registration, you need the title. You should not leave the title in a vehicle.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I haven't heard of this one... But I can't imagine what someone could do with just the registration to a vehicle that isn't theirs... I would think you need the title to really sell the vehicle or take out a loan against it. My curiosity is surely peaked now!

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    You can't sell a vehicle or get a loan with registration, you need the title. You should not leave the title in a vehicle.

What I’ve read is they take pictures of the VIN when they break in and steal registration. Even if it’s a $500 fast cash loan or they steal a vehicle that’s the same they transfer the registration and VIN over to the stolen vehicle. Again that’s just what’s come up on a google search. Must be some connection since they took that specific piece from all the vehicles

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    What I’ve read is they take pictures of the VIN when they break in and steal registration. Even if it’s a $500 fast cash loan or they steal a vehicle that’s the same they transfer the registration and VIN over to the stolen vehicle. Again that’s just what’s come up on a google search. Must be some connection since they took that specific piece from all the vehicles

They are called title loans, not registration loans. If a business is loaning money on a registration, they are doing it wrong. And you can't transfer anything with a registration, you need a title or be the registered owner. And I don't understand what you mean by transferring the registration and vin to a stolen vehicle.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    They are called title loans, not registration loans. If a business is loaning money on a registration, they are doing it wrong. And you can't transfer anything with a registration, you need a title or be the registered owner. And I don't understand what you mean by transferring the registration and vin to a stolen vehicle.

Your thinking legal methods, think other methods like fraud or making false titles. They are stealing registrations for some reason, because they hit more Saturday night.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    replacement keys at a dealership do require the registration. I also had to show my DL/ID which they checked to the registration. But I guess if the scum bags are doing this I imagine they have a pretty savy setup and are doing fake ID's as well.? I lost a few keys when house burned down and had to do that dance of getting replacement registrations and titles. Luckily it was before DMV got greedy and jacked the fee up to about $100 each which is what I understand it to be now. It cost me $15 each for the 2 Harleys and my truck.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I mean if you think about it, they break in, steal the registration, make a fake ID, get a replacement key made, come back (because they know where you live from the registration) and take the car AFTER you've already paid to have the windows repaired and whatnot and then sell them or use them how they please.

Seems like a legit plan IMO.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I mean if you think about it, they break in, steal the registration, make a fake ID, get a replacement key made, come back (because they know where you live from the registration) and take the car AFTER you've already paid to have the windows repaired and whatnot and then sell them or use them how they please.

Seems like a legit plan IMO.

I'm thinking, Gone to Mexico?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Why would they need a picture of the VIN when it’s clearly printed on the registration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Well I havn't looked closely at a registration in a while, I did not know the VIN was on there. Makes even more sense why they would steal the registration then.

Why would they need a picture of the VIN when it’s clearly printed on the registration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    They're not getting keys made. That's expensive!!!First the key is not cheep. If you have one key you can code it your self but you need a working key to start with. If you don't have a key it needs to go to the dealership. So unless they have a coding machine the keys won't work. At least that's how Fords work.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Well we received lots of help from local LE, seems this is big business now as they steal a similar vehicle and transfer the VIN to the stolen vehicle. Then they sell the stolen vehicle or take out a loan on it. They falsify the new paper work which apparently is another big business. Or using the information on your registration they come back and steal the same vehicle. Thanks to JPSO for all their assistance.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Well we received lots of help from local LE, seems this is big business now as they steal a similar vehicle and transfer the VIN to the stolen vehicle. Then they sell the stolen vehicle or take out a loan on it. They falsify the new paper work which apparently is another big business. Or using the information on your registration they come back and steal the same vehicle. Thanks to JPSO for all their assistance.

So basically identity theft for your vehicle. My money is on they are getting stolen vehicles across the border, and less interested in getting a loan on your vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom