Need a drill press fixed (pics)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We have a heavy duty drill press setup made by Sioux Tools that was used incorrectly which caused damage (we think) to the brushes and possibly a bearing of the drill.
    59a7b41abef1db146a83d4caf28b9ea6.jpg
    4d9b8e9de61d8e147a7a9227bfe31d41.jpg
    ddff87533cf73eeee58bfb257240e2e5.jpg
    c4a3a7ce1ab6b5a7e41a287aabf80bb2.jpg
    . I know somebody knows some place that works on tools like this. I am willing to drive a good ways to get it worked on. Thanks. You can text me at (225) 978-2403 or just reply to the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    A Good Mechanic or a Good Electrician should be able to repair it for you.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Try Bells Machine Repair. We use them for all of our machining equipment repairs. They are in BR.

Sent from the ISS using Tapatalk

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It was and oldie, but a damn good one for sure. I love old equipment and the press that holds this drill is very cool looking. We have another drill press in our shop, but it’s nice to have this one set up to drill the thick stuff. You just can’t find tools like this anymore, as just about every drill press that is affordable are made overseas. Let’s just say the damage occurred when someone was trying to drill some thick steel and thought that he could get it done faster by exerting more downward pressure and just drive the bit through the metal. This drill turns at very low rpm’s and you have to just let it gradually do it’s job and if you do it that way it does a fantastic job. It is what it is and we are moving forward, but if we can get it repaired without it costing us an arm and a leg we are gonna do it. Thanks to all the tool lovers out there who sent the suggestions in.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sioux Tools are still being sold. You don’t typically see them in use by consumers.

The listed BTR distributor for Sioux power tools is:
    JM Test Systems, Inc.
    7323 Tom Dr
    Baton Rouge, LA 70895
    225-925-2029

Or you can try:
    Louisiana Tool Repair Service
    10227 Mammoth Ave
    Baton Rouge, LA 70814
    225-406-7595

Southern Fastener & Tool
    9450 Mammoth Ave,
    Baton Rouge, LA 70814
    (225) 927-3333

The Tool Shed
    1856 Wooddale Ct,
    Baton Rouge, LA 70806
    (225) 926-6500

I have not used JM but HAVE used LA Tool, The Tool Shed and Southern Tool.

Let them know that you have an older Sioux 3/4” portable electric drill. (A drill “press” is a stationary tool.)

TRIVIA: The old-timers insisted that I use proper nomenclature when referring to drill items. For example:

DRILL is the item that is inserted into the tool that makes the hole. It is not a drill “bit”. A BIT is an item that is inserted into a BRACE to bore a hole.
    The electrical device that creates the circular motion to perform the work is a DRILL MOTOR. The adjustable jaw attachment that holds the drill is a CHUCK. The item used to tighten the chuck is the CHUCK KEY.

When I was younger I made the mistake of asking for a drill and a chuck. I was not given what I expected. What I should have asked for was the “drill motor” and the “chuck key.” (This predates the invention of the hand-adjustable chuck.)

Your repair could turn into a “how much do you love it?” question. While a new good quality 3/4” drill is around $500-600, if you don’t need that kind of torque there are some excellent 5/8” drills in the $250-300 range. I wouldn’t be surprised if ran $250 to repair a 3/4” drill.

Of course, if you can get parts you can do it much cheaper yourself. If you can’t find the exact brush you might need to improvise. I’ve actually adapted larger brushes to fit motors by “Dremel-ing” the carbon blocks to fit an existing holder.

Some places might be able to come up with brushes but if you actually need bearings that could be a challenge. There are suppliers of “generic” bearings but hunting down the right one can be time consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I spoke to Beerman and they are going to take a look at it. I just have to find time to bring it. I do realize that technically speaking it is a big ass portable electric drill, but it was set up in a permanent press which came with the drill from Sioux. We had this permanently mounted to a bench so we called it a drill press. I do realize that it will cost a decent amount of clams to get fixed, but in my mind it is worth it because it is very hard to find American made tools of this quality for a decent price. If the repair bill is only 250.00 I’ll be shocked !!! I’ll keep y’all updated as to what broke and the cost to repair it.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have used Louisiana Tool repair, but I just don’t know if they are familiar with this type of drill. They did do good work.

Top Bottom